Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Carvalhal got it right

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
Sorry, so are you saying we should have rested our entire first XI at Middlesbrough?
No, he's saying there should be a break between the last game and the playoffs. I think he's right.

How you can say someone got it right when they had a lead based on the opponents losing four players to injury and then were struggling in the second leg before a clear foul got them back in the game is beyond me.
Yes his title was a bit misleading, but I thought the general message was right. I expect we wouldn't have lost all those players if the playoffs were a bit later.

I've not seen the foul for their goal discussed here, and I've not seen it on TV. Is there a consensus that it was a foul?

Finchley Seagull

Feb 25, 2004
North London
No, he's saying there should be a break between the last game and the playoffs. I think he's right.

Yes his title was a bit misleading, but I thought the general message was right. I expect we wouldn't have lost all those players if the playoffs were a bit later.

I've not seen the foul for their goal discussed here, and I've not seen it on TV. Is there a consensus that it was a foul?

You could see it clearly on the replay at the ground last night and, if you watch the highlights, it is a blatant foul by Hooper on Dunk as he looks to head the ball away.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
Didn't Derby rest 10 players for the last league game so they would be fresh for the play offs? I thought I read that somewhere. If they did how did that work out?
They managed to play their first playoff game without a single injury.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
You could see it clearly on the replay at the ground last night and, if you watch the highlights, it is a blatant foul by Hooper on Dunk as he looks to head the ball away.
I thought it was when watching it live, but I'd like to hear what others think having seen it on TV, and what the commentators / pundits thought.

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA

Have a look at the sky highlights thread.....commentator thought it was....and its obvious

Finchley Seagull

Feb 25, 2004
North London
I thought it was when watching it live, but I'd like to hear what others think having seen it on TV, and what the commentators / pundits thought.

Apparently, Sky said it was a foul although I watched highlights with no volume. Think we have genuine reason to feel we've not had the luck/decisions go for us recently with Stephens' red card, the injuries at Hillsborough and Wednesday's goal last night. I have no issue with the play offs. We knew the rules at the start of the season but to lose to a team 15 points below us having had four injuries in one match and a dodgy goal yesterday is annoying.

martin tyler

Jan 25, 2013
Don't think you can say he got it right. It is just the way it fell this year another year they could have been fighting to the final day and we could have known we would finish 3rd a week earlier and rested players. We went to the final months knocking on the door of the top 2, clawed back a massive gap on Boro and went went hell for leather to get in the top 2. We missed out by 2 goals which in itself was pretty remarkable considering the GD a month or so earlier. In contrast Sheffield Wednesday had a free week basically to play some fringe players and had a good rest up. Thats just the way it goes. I don't regret the club going for it over the final few weeks and it made for one of the most exciting finishes to a season ever. We deserved to go up but football is a cruel game at times and anything can happen.
I'm sure plenty of people are a little down this morning, but personally I am over it. Whoever goes up so be it. We go again next year and we are in a good place. Best chairman ever, great manager, great players who I think want to stay here and finish the job and last night showed great fans when we put our minds to it. If its anything like this year I can not wait. Onwards and upwards

On Carvahal I would add he was pretty humble last night and acknowledged maybe we deserved to be promoted and we gave them a hell of a fright. Seems a decent manager himself.

Marshy

Jul 6, 2003
FRUIT OF THE BLOOM
This thread should be re-named Carvalhal got lucky !

Everything went against us in the final few weeks of the regular season and during the 2 matches

Thats football for you. Our turn will come soon enough.

martin tyler

Jan 25, 2013

Sky commentators went from thinking it was to saying it defiantly was when watching on replay. It looked pretty blatant to be fair having just watched it again literally a palm off on dunks shoulder when he is in mid flight. Life's a bitch sometimes but there you go.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
Have a look at the sky highlights thread
Can't be bothered, I'll take your word for it. I thought it was when I saw it anyway. If only the linesman was watching the game :facepalm:

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
There's no luck in having the amount of shots we had and only scoring 1 goal !

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
I know you have a point, and the real injustice here was the FA not overturning the red. It's unforgivable, that organisation is a disgrace. It still punishes the team that's fighting for top two, but they should be able to avoid 'real' red cards.

:thumbsup:

Not forgetting that Stephens is still under suspension for the first game of next season.

perseus

Broad Blue & White stripe
Jul 5, 2003
Sūþseaxna
Wednesday are the most arrogats bucnh iof fans I've come across. Not sure why.

CC nearly caught a cold (should have) in the first half by the believing their own hype of how good they are.

E

Eric Youngs Contact Lense

It's so obvious the right thing to go is make the play-off semis a one-leg affair with the home sides being the ones that finish 3rd and 4th.

The cards could not have fallen any better for Sheff Wed than to have a dead rubber vs Wolves where they could give their best players 10 days rest and then have a home match vs. deflated Albion coming off the back of only 6 days' rest and a red card after our arm wrestle vs Boro.

Had the semi been a one-leg affair we would have seen last night's atmosphere plus another 10-15% on top - i.e. a guaranteed winner takes all sell-out on a Saturday, rather than 3,000 missing on a worknight after a deflating loss three days earlier.
This..definitely this! Keeps a lot of the elements that make the play-off a good thing. The games might be particularly cagey, but no more than the 1st legs typically are. Like this idea.
I did hear another approach that had 3rd playing 4th for straight route to final. Defeated team would then play winners of 5th/6th play-off, thereby getting second bite of the cherry. Therefore the lower placed teams would have to negotiate two games, whilst the higher placed teams get two chances as a reward for finishing higher..

owlsonlineadmin

Jul 22, 2010
To be fair to Carvalhal after the final whistle he looked a very relieved man, and spoke to Hughton. Best of luck for next season regardless of how we get on at Wembley. You certainly cranked up the noise last night, best I've heard in my four trips to the AMEX.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
Not forgetting that Stephens is still under suspension for the first game of next season.
I haven't forgotten. I've had a vision of me running past stewards to tell Chris before he fields an illegible player :lol:

symyjym

Banned
Nov 2, 2009
Brighton / Hove actually
To be fair to Carvalhal after the final whistle he looked a very relieved man, and spoke to Hughton. Best of luck for next season regardless of how we get on at Wembley. You certainly cranked up the noise last night, best I've heard in my four trips to the AMEX.

Yep, he was certainly humbled by our performance and paid Hughton huge respect afterwards, so fair play to him.

I thoroughly enjoyed the game from star to finish despite the result. What was it like watching from the Shef W POV?

Uh_huh_him

Sep 28, 2011
Sky commentators went from thinking it was to saying it defiantly was when watching on replay. It looked pretty blatant to be fair having just watched it again literally a palm off on dunks shoulder when he is in mid flight. Life's a bitch sometimes but there you go.

Knockaert's free kick somehow doesn't go in and Walace's cross does.. yep that sums up our luck perfectly

Baldseagull

Jan 26, 2012
Crawley
I have a new theory, that if luck does not even itself out across a season, it will even out across two seasons. Fingers crossed.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here