Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Players to sell / release

Peter Grummit

Oct 13, 2004
Lewes
Remember Kayal and Stephens are both out of contract next summer (2017). Perversely, this makes it less likely they will leave this summer, because if they sit it out they will get a big signing on fee if they move next summer. Tony will want to secure them on longer term deals, ideally asap.

I would like us to sign Sidwell, and he has indicated he is keen, but he must be on a big wedge, and the risk is that a lower Prem team or PP Champ team would outbid us (see Stephen Ward 2 years ago).

I would let Greer go and step Rea up as reserve CB.

I would (reluctantly) move KLL on, as someone said above, the way he slows the game down does not suit our fast break style. Move on Elvis and Holla if possible. Think Crofts, who is out of contract, will be let go. JFC and Ince have to prove themselves in preseason.

Walton should step up to replace Casper in the 1st team squad.

Calde should be offered a coaching role with AITC to his taste.

We should take up the extra year option for Niki Maenpaa, and he should play all cup games.

My main fear is that a Prem team will bid for Anthony, and he will want to go. And losing Dunk or Goldson is a sizable risk too.

Two new strikers, replacing Bobby and Wilson. Nahki Wells or Bamford plus a big man, probably from abroad.

PG

Peter Grummit

Oct 13, 2004
Lewes
Agreed on LuaLua. Time for him to drop down to League One and carve out a career.

I would be happy to move him on, because our breakaway style does not suit his 'matador' wingplay. But 'carve out a career'?? He's had 5 years+ with us, contributing to a League 1 championship and 3 play off campaigns. That's disrespectful to him and us.

PG

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patron
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing
I would be happy to move him on, because our breakaway style does not suit his 'matador' wingplay. But 'carve out a career'?? He's had 5 years+ with us, contributing to a League 1 championship and 3 play off campaigns. That's disrespectful to him and us.

PG

Quite. Let's not forget he was our best player for the first month.

Kaz just needs a season injury free.

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS

PG

I don't think it's disrespectful. He has hardly had a run of starts since we've been in the championship has he?

darkwolf666

Nov 8, 2015
Sittingbourne, Kent
I wouldn't be surprised to see us offer Sidwell a contract.

I would keep Baldock as he really adds something. Get in another striker, cover at either right or left back as Bruno won't go on forever

That's probably it, maybe one more winger if we don't keep Kaz but I think we will and after a rest and pre season he could get back to how he was

Personally I think the purple patch that KLL had at the start of the season was a blip - normal service was resumed on his return to the squad, whereby he proved a largely ineffective substitute.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex

With Knockaert, Skalak, Murphy and March all being fit, LuaLua might not even make our bench. He won't want that and he earns too much for us to want that either. He's only 25 still, and I wonder if a fresh challenge might be good for him.

darkwolf666

Nov 8, 2015
Sittingbourne, Kent
With Knockaert, Skalak, Murphy and March all being fit, LuaLua might not even make our bench. He won't want that and he earns too much for us to want that either. He's only 25 still, and I wonder if a fresh challenge might be good for him.

That's a very polite way of saying, "there's the door son!".

I normally get offered the chance for a "fresh challenge" just before I get made redundant!

Paul Reids Sock

Nov 3, 2004
Paul Reids boot
Personally I think the purple patch that KLL had at the start of the season was a blip - normal service was resumed on his return to the squad, whereby he proved a largely ineffective substitute.

I guess so - could be my Albion bias as I have been a massive critic of Blackman and he and LuaLua have been very similar in terms of form!

Last edited:

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
That's a very polite way of saying, "there's the door son!".

I normally get offered the chance for a "fresh challenge" just before I get made redundant!

I think there have been whispers of discontentment from him in the past when he wasn't playing or starting and I just couldn't see him being ahead of the other four wide players we've got if all fit. That said, Hughton threw him on ahead of Murphy the other night, and I remain surprised at that decision.

I do think that it may be best for him to have a fresh start somewhere else and, as I say, I think we could spend the wages better.

Biscuit

Native Creative
Jul 8, 2003
Brighton
Baldock will stay as a fourth choice, so will Greer.

Elvis and Holla likely to leave, Zamora will probably retire.

maltaseagull

Feb 25, 2009
Zabbar- Malta
QUOTE=DarrenFreemansPerm;7428038]I'm not sure we even need a CB do we? Huenemeier, Dunk, Goldson and Rea as 4th choice?
We need adequate Competition for Kayal and Stephens, we'll need another LB/RB as Calde won't be playing next year, surely? We're fine for wingers once March is back, just need to get a proper striker and we're good to go.[/QUOTE]

Edited but agree with the rest. :thumbsup:[

maltaseagull

Feb 25, 2009
Zabbar- Malta

Has he ever had one?
I would love to see him playing as well as he did last August/ September but not sure if we will and he is currently behind Knockaert and Skalak and probably Murhphy and March in the pecking order

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patron
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing

Yes that's fair comment.

However, based on his form at the beginning of the season, (and if he could maintain it) i would actually have KLL over Murphy and Skalak.

I know, I know, I'll get hammered but it's how I feel. Skalak is a good player, but did he do more than KLL this season? He does cross a better ball, and a pre-season may see him edge ahead.

Same with Murphy, his delivery is probably as inconsistent as KLL's, he has less pace and a weaker shot. Perhaps he tracks back better, but that's debatable as well.

Before anyone says anything I accept KLL has been very poor since his return.

jamie the seagull

Jul 27, 2011
The board meeting pic on twitter confirms that decisions have been made on players who no doubt have already found out their outcomes.
We need to keep the squad we have so money needs to be spent in renewing contracts for the star players who only have 12 months left.
Fringe players moved on to free up wages.
I was impressed how Greer coped as cover at the end so would expect a 1 year offer.
Sidwell improved once he got a run of games andoffers more than Crofts but we do not need both.
O'Grady will be going nowhere full time in view of the obscene weekly wage he is on so we will loan again.
Wonder if we go back for Marshall at Blackburn and Vydra whose value may have dropped after last season.
I would splash the cash for the return of Ulloa who Leicester were willing to sell last summer.

warmleyseagull

Apr 17, 2011
Beaminster, Dorset
Yes that's fair comment.

However, based on his form at the beginning of the season, (and if he could maintain it) i would actually have KLL over Murphy and Skalak.

I know, I know, I'll get hammered but it's how I feel. Skalak is a good player, but did he do more than KLL this season? He does cross a better ball, and a pre-season may see him edge ahead.

Same with Murphy, his delivery is probably as inconsistent as KLL's, he has less pace and a weaker shot. Perhaps he tracks back better, but that's debatable as well.

Before anyone says anything I accept KLL has been very poor since his return.

Think KLL's problem is consistency between and even within games. It is a real shame he was injured as there was a thread claiming this might be his breakout season, and it indeed it might have been without that. But the inconsistency returned post injury. The odd bit of magic interpersed with AWOL and losing ball too easily. You wont get hammered from me because of the form he was in early season; just wonder whether we can hang on any longer hoping he is going to catch fire again. But I cant agree KLL over Skalak or Murphy. Murphy is slightly jury out but i would give him 6/10 and ahead of KLL, Skalak could be immense once he gets fully into the physicality of Championship. He was showing signs of that towards the end.

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
I'm sure we'll hear really soon, along with a 'good news' story about Bruno getting a new contract, maybe Sidwell agreeing to sign, or improved contracts for Kayal, Stephens and Knockaert.

Then that will be it until after the Euros, unless Howe wants to get Murray out of Bournemouth asap now that he's proved his point.

Can't see there will be any decision on Kaz until Skalak returns from the Euros uninjured.

Last edited:

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
The board meeting pic on twitter confirms that decisions have been made on players who no doubt have already found out their outcomes.

Most have, but not all, which is why nothing has been announced yet.

Again, after the emotions of Monday night, it feels cruel for some of those to be told on Tuesday that their time at the club was at an end. That's football though and the players know that I guess.

Codner's Wallop

Sep 11, 2013
We all know Lua Lua is a mercurial player - and anyone who questions his raw talent clearly has never seen him in his prime. He's a match-winner for sure.

However, there are caveats. His record of injuries is a major worry and when he's not ticking he's like Bambi on roller skates. This slows down play. When the rest of the team is ticking along, he can look like Albion's square peg.

I assume he's one of our biggest earners now. As much as he's given me a tremendous amount of joy over the years, I can't help feeling this summer could be the right time for a goodbye.

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA
[TWEET]732678253337583616[/TWEET]

I was kind of referring to the actual thread not what the board might do....most of us were a bit numb from something that had barely happened and praising a team effort ....to discuss players going seemed disrespectful....I'm sure you know what I mean...I certainly understand your point

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here