Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Players to sell / release

Gi2raffe1

May 17, 2016
Surely we have to wait until pre-season to judge the players abilities and then Chris and his management team will make the right decisions then.We could have a few surprises from underperforming players then

Marshy

Jul 6, 2003
FRUIT OF THE BLOOM
Agreed on LuaLua. Time for him to drop down to League One and carve out a career.

We have had him for a longtime and likely through injury he has lost his edge and shine. I don't buy in to the needs a run in the side theory, as we just can't afford to carry players like him.

Lua Lua will get a championship club easily, its not that he is not decent, we just have 4 better wingers at present

Jolly Red Giant

Jul 11, 2015
A CB worth looking at is John Egan at Gillingham, probably the top defender in League 1 this season - he has turned down a new contract and will make a very good player in the Championship where ever he ends up. A number of Championship teams tried to sign him in January but he chose to stay at Gillingham to try and help them get promoted.

alexanderhills

Feb 14, 2014
Cuckfield
Completely agree, season starts now the convosation has to be had. The best teams who make it out the championship deal with buissness early. Only ones if be cautious of letting go on the list is Greer because I think he can still teach players like goldson and dunk a lot and Baldock because he can go to a another team in the championship and get goals for them. Apart from that completely agree

trueblue

Jul 5, 2003
Hove
LuaLua has been with us permanently at Championship level for five seasons now. In that time, other than a purple patch at the start of this season, how many times has he actually looked like a game changing winger at this level? In fact, I'm struggling to think of any player who has spent so long with us having such a little impact. Knockaert, March, Skalak and Murphy have all done more in a shorter period. Just because he does a nice backflip and retweets a lot doesn't mean he is a good enough player for a side who want to be challenging for the Premier League

You think I'm basing my opinion on his tweets? I'd say he's had a major impact off the bench many times over the years with his power and pace, which is why he's been very popular. Not because he does good somersaults. The time may be right to move him on if his body's not up to it and he's lost pace rather than confidence - but otherwise he's a very, very useful member of the squad.

Paul Reids Sock

Nov 3, 2004
Paul Reids boot
what exactly does Baldock 'add' ? He's a striker that doesn't score goals......end of !

His runs pull defenders out of the game and when he takes on players he does pretty well.

If we were to lose Stephens or Kayal I would consider playing Baldock as an advanced midfielder/secondary striker and have Hemed and one other up top.

casbom

Jul 24, 2007
The HUGE difference this year is that there will be decent players who WANT to come here instead of being cajoled to come here, they would have seen the quality of the team and Management based on the fact we were never off the telly. Hopefully the other big difference is key players and management also staying.

Some stability would be nice.

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
The first task before thinking of who to sell ( when the window opens in July ) is to make decisions on the out of contract players.

I'd offer a year contract to Bruno, and let the rest move on.
( Although I've no idea about Rea, other than he appears to have been playing regularly for Luton.)

Tim Over Whelmed

NSC Patron
Jul 24, 2007
Arundel
Not at all..next season starts now.

You can have clear, decisive and non-emotional management, but this must be balanced with excellent communication skills, positive man management and appropriate timing.

To steam in now when contracts run until the end of the month or some the end of Jun would be too knee jerk. Take your time, listen to the players and build your plan, then have professional conversations with the players without word leaking out or using the press to soften the blow for you .... is the right way in my opinion, same result but the players you want to attract will be watching and judging you as much as the one you feel you no longer need.

Paul Reids Sock

Nov 3, 2004
Paul Reids boot
You can have clear, decisive and non-emotional management, but this must be balanced with excellent communication skills, positive man management and appropriate timing.

To steam in now when contracts run until the end of the month or some the end of Jun would be too knee jerk. Take your time, listen to the players and build your plan, then have professional conversations with the players without word leaking out or using the press to soften the blow for you .... is the right way in my opinion, same result but the players you want to attract will be watching and judging you as much as the one you feel you no longer need.

To be fair, I would assume that a number of these conversations have been happening throughout the season and the guys that may be moving on will already have an idea about it.

They would have been set targets and if they haven't met them will know about moving on. Bearing in mind that most of these guys aren't on massive salaries it would be the most professional thing to let them know as soon as possible so that their agents can begin to look at their next options rather than leaving the conversations until the last minute and then risk them being out of work and pocket

LlcoolJ

Mama said knock you out.
Oct 14, 2009
Sheffield
First thing I'd be doing is getting KAYAL signed up to a new contract and making him CAPTAIN.

Iamapen15

May 17, 2009
Back of the North Stand
Wouldn't be surprised if the club told all of the following to find new clubs or that their contracts won't be renewed:

Greer
Calderon (Although probably offered some role around the club. Kit model? Barber?)
Crofts
JFC maybe on loan.
Ince maybe on loan.
O'Grady
Chicksen
Elvis
Holla
Rea
Zamora

Wilson & Sidwell returning to parent clubs.

13 out clearing way for 5 or 6 quality players coming in and maybe a couple of season long longs to cover.

strangersam

Dec 20, 2015
Not really. We have seen enough of both to know that they cannot cut it week in, week out at this level.
Your comment is utterly incorrect, kaz proved himself at the beginning of the season before an unfortunate injury, and baldock, while lacking in goals, is an effective option.
Even if they aren't starters next season, which is likely, it would be ludicrous to start selling players of this calibre as we would be decimating our squad
Depth is key to a title challenge and I'm afraid to say that's what might have cost us promotion

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
Wouldn't be surprised if the club told all of the following to find new clubs or that their contracts won't be renewed:

Greer
Calderon (Although probably offered some role around the club. Kit model? Barber?)
Crofts
JFC maybe on loan.
Ince maybe on loan.
O'Grady
Chicksen
Elvis
Holla
Rea
Zamora

Wilson & Sidwell returning to parent clubs.

13 out clearing way for 5 or 6 quality players coming in and maybe a couple of season long longs to cover.
Hopefully we've already been on the phone to Nigel Clough at Burton advertising O'Grady's availability.

We may even be negotiating with Holla to end his contract.

Postman Pat

Jul 24, 2007
Coldean
You think I'm basing my opinion on his tweets? I'd say he's had a major impact off the bench many times over the years with his power and pace, which is why he's been very popular. Not because he does good somersaults. The time may be right to move him on if his body's not up to it and he's lost pace rather than confidence - but otherwise he's a very, very useful member of the squad.

It could be possible that Kaz doesn't want to be considered as a player off of the bench anymore, he must see that he is now down the pecking order behind better players and could see his career away from the club. Maybe a return to Newcastle as they will likely be looking for Championship experienced players to fill some likely gaps in their squad (Townsend etc..)

Napier's Knee

Mar 23, 2014
West Sussex
I imagine we're discussing decisions that have already been made. WE'll find out at the beginning of June I expect.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here