Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

If Boro play a 5 man midfield how does 4-4-2 counteract this?

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
It could simply involve Steve Sidwell, as was the case at Birmingham, until such time as we need either a...

Plan B: Shit - they've scored, we now need two.
Plan C: Seventy-five minute stalemate achieved, let's throw the works at them now.

Sidwell also has the knack of scoring crucial goals too

Brighton TID

Jul 24, 2005
Horsham
Didn't they score with 3 close in headers at the AMEX.. lets hope GG can fill Dunks shoes and stop this

They beat us 0-3.
Difference this time will be:
Liam for calde
Knocky for van parra
Goldson for uwe (although he got subbed at 2 nil down)
Baldock is fit again also.
In conclusion, dunk aside, we have a much stronger team to put out this time, particularly French Tony who did it for Leicester and could be a match winner

Edit: Greer started the AMEX game, not dunk

GreersElbow

Jan 5, 2012
A Northern Outpost
I would consider ourselves playing 4-2-3-1.

Bruno, Greer, Goldson, Rosenior
------------Kayal-Sidwell----------
Knockeart----Stephens----Murphy
---------------Hemed-------------

Rationale being that Sidwell and Kayal can sit deep enough to break up play, but also initiate play from a deeper position. Kayal is somewhat a bit of a playmaker, so regardless of how deep he is, he'll be able to link the defence with the attack. Sidwell is there for additional assurance.

Stephens playing behind Hemed also gives us the addition link from midfield to attack, he can create plenty but also distribute the ball to Knockeart and Murphy who could play slightly more narrower with overlap from Bruno/Rosenior. If Kayal and Sidwell are deep enough, they can break up a counter attack without exposing our defence too much. We cannot play a higher defensive line due to Dunk's suspension and Greer's legs.

perseus

Broad Blue & White stripe
Jul 5, 2003
Sūþseaxna
H v A

Possession 53.8% v 49.7%
Passing 80% v 72.9%
SPG 16 v 11.4
On target 5.2 v 3.8
Penalty area 8.8 v 5.7
Headers 3.6 v 1.7
Open play goals 24 v 21 (totals)

Dispossessed 8.6 v 11
Unsuccessful touches 10.5 v 12.6

Shots conceded 10.5 v 13.4

Aerials won 16.8 v 19.9

Boro: https://www.whoscored.com/Teams/21

Last edited:

lizard

Well-hung member
Jul 14, 2005
It's not going to matter when a nervous Boro take the pitch and bottle it.
Hell, they could play 4-6-1, we're still gonna do it!
Believe. :albion2:

B-right-on

Living the dream
Apr 23, 2015
Shoreham Beaaaach
I would consider ourselves playing 4-2-3-1.

Bruno, Greer, Goldson, Rosenior
------------Kayal-Sidwell----------
Knockeart----Stephens----Murphy
---------------Hemed-------------

Rationale being that Sidwell and Kayal can sit deep enough to break up play, but also initiate play from a deeper position. Kayal is somewhat a bit of a playmaker, so regardless of how deep he is, he'll be able to link the defence with the attack. Sidwell is there for additional assurance.

Stephens playing behind Hemed also gives us the addition link from midfield to attack, he can create plenty but also distribute the ball to Knockeart and Murphy who could play slightly more narrower with overlap from Bruno/Rosenior. If Kayal and Sidwell are deep enough, they can break up a counter attack without exposing our defence too much. We cannot play a higher defensive line due to Dunk's suspension and Greer's legs.

One thing we have is decent options, if CH starts one way and it doesn't work, we will have enough quality on the bench to change the play and formation no matter who starts and who is on the bench. I like the Sidwell/Kayal midfield, Sidwell has been around and has a lot of experience and has done well the last few times he's been on after a poor start for us.

Lethargic

Oct 11, 2006
Horsham
What other games have we lost then? Enlighten me?

We havent conceded 2 at the Riverside in a league game since 2014- that isnt going to change on saturday either!

Nor have we lost a game when we have scored the first goal.

I appreciate your cacking it at the prospect of the long trek to Sheffield but the facts doth speak!

And what does this prove - absolute cock all! At the beginning of the season we created a new record for the longest unbeaten run in Championship history then in December the run came to an end to yourselves, my point is any run can end at any time.

Saturday is a 1 off game of 11 v 11 players, very evenly matched (backed up by the table) we owe you for ending our run but either team can win and history is irrelevant.

As for cacking it you could not be further from the truth worse case - the play offs which still exceeds any expectations I had this season, how about you?

Boro5707

Dec 21, 2015
They beat us 0-3.
Liam for calde
Knocky for van parra
In conclusion, dunk aside, we have a much stronger team to put out this time, particularly French Tony who did it for Leicester and could be a match winner

We are much stronger than the first game also
Ramierz
Rhodes
De Laet
Nugent was suspended for the first game
De Sart

All reports are that Friend will be fine for the game

Dec 6, 2015
They beat us 0-3.
Liam for calde
Knocky for van parra

True but you also need to consider that we're also stronger than we were that day.

To the starting line up you can add Ramirez (arguably our best player) and Rhodes (who has now started scoring)

But also maybe more crucial we have options from the bench with Nugent (who was suspended) De Laet who could be useful if we decide to go for out and out pace with Nsue moving to right of the midfield three and Ritchie slotting in at right back.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
We are much stronger than the first game also
Ramierz
Rhodes
De Laet
Nugent was suspended for the first game
De Sart

All reports are that Friend will be fine for the game

True but you also need to consider that we're also stronger than we were that day.

To the starting line up you can add Ramirez (arguably our best player) and Rhodes (who has now started scoring)

But also maybe more crucial we have options from the bench with Nugent (who was suspended) De Laet who could be useful if we decide to go for out and out pace with Nsue moving to right of the midfield three and Ritchie slotting in at right back.

As I've already said, it should be a cakewalk for the Championship Galacticos.

We should just be grateful that they've pretended to under-perform for much of the season in order to give us a chance.

Although, clearly we don't actually have a chance. We might as well start planning for next season and play the kids.

Dec 6, 2015
As I've already said, it should be a cakewalk for the Championship Galacticos.

We should just be grateful that they've pretended to under-perform for much of the season in order to give us a chance.

Although, clearly we don't actually have a chance. We might as well start planning for next season and play the kids.

You're very defensive Bozza lad. I wonder why that is.

Anywho I don't think any of us are saying you don't have a chance, you're a good team. We're just highlighting that we are a stronger side now than we were - as are you so it'll make for a decent contest.

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA

Anywho I don't think any of us are saying you don't have a chance, you're a good team. We're just highlighting that we are a stronger side now than we were - as are you so it'll make for a decent contest.

Let's be frank...it's a one off game what's happened in the past is irrelevant ..you aren't a bad side and you have got a reasonable chance ..but will lose...can't say fairer than that

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex

Defensive of what? My little how-dare-they-have-the-temerity-to-not-have-let-us-be-promoted-by-now football club?

You've spent a ridiculous amount of money on a side that should have romped this division and be, as they say, "on the beach" already. You had 11 points on us recently. And a game in hand. At your points per game accrual rate, that means you were effectively 13 points to the good on us. Unfortunately you have a flaky manager that a lot of you guys don't really like, yet you're stuck with him. I can't begin to imagine the grief he'll get should you not get the result expected on Saturday.

As it is, over 45 games against the same opposition you've turned out to be 2 goals better than us. In fact, if you'd only beaten us 2-0 at the Amex, then we'd be above you right now.

You say Jordan Rhodes has started scoring but I seem to recall him missing 2 (or was it more?) golden chances against Birmingham last week. And that oh-so-unfair disallowed goal? It makes no difference at all. If it had counted, you'd be 2 points better off but we'd still be travelling knowing that a win would get us above you.

We head North in hope rather than expectation. In August, a few optimists may have thought we had a chance with getting close to the play-offs, but the rest of us would have taken not being in another relegation battle. This season is already a winner for us. Is that the case for you?

sparkie

Jul 17, 2003
Hove
It's good that you're confident.
For me I've unshakeable belief rather than confidence as such.

The subtle difference is that the belief just focuses on the achieving of the result rather than considering with any confidence how we get there.

nwgull

Jul 25, 2003
Manchester

So strong that you haven't won for 3 games, when you beat the mighty Bolton 2-1 with a last minute winner (the day after we scraped a 5-0 win against Fulham).

It's going to be a nervy day for you.

Dec 6, 2015
Defensive of what? My little how-dare-they-have-the-temerity-to-not-have-let-us-be-promoted-by-now football club?

You've spent a ridiculous amount of money on a side that should have romped this division and be, as they say, "on the beach" already. You had 11 points on us recently. And a game in hand. At your points per game accrual rate, that means you were effectively 13 points to the good on us. Unfortunately you have a flaky manager that a lot of you guys don't really like, yet you're stuck with him. I can't begin to imagine the grief he'll get should you not get the result expected on Saturday.

As it is, over 45 games against the same opposition you've turned out to be 2 goals better than us. In fact, if you'd only beaten us 2-0 at the Amex, then we'd be above you right now.

You say Jordan Rhodes has started scoring but I seem to recall him missing 2 (or was it more?) golden chances against Birmingham last week. And that oh-so-unfair disallowed goal? It makes no difference at all. If it had counted, you'd be 2 points better off but we'd still be travelling knowing that a win would get us above you.

We head North in hope rather than expectation. In August, a few optimists may have thought we had a chance with getting close to the play-offs, but the rest of us would have taken not being in another relegation battle. This season is already a winner for us. Is that the case for you?

Take a deep breath pal.

You've spent a ridiculous amount of money on a side that should have romped this division and be, as they say, "on the beach" already.

Aye so you keep telling us....but then so should Derby, Hull, Shef Wed etc

You say Jordan Rhodes has started scoring but I seem to recall him missing 2 (or was it more?) golden chances against Birmingham last week

He always does miss chances - he did at Blackburn and he did at Huddersfield but a lot like Andy Cole he always gets those chances and he has 4 in 4.

Behave. You're no longer "little ol' Brighton, you're the perennial underachievers or to put it a more complimentary way; a sleeping giant.

You come to Boro being consistent and smashing teams 4 or 5 zip and on a great run of form all this under dog and small club stuff it out of the window and now used as a safety net in case you fall at the final hurdle (in league terms because I still think you'll win the play offs)

Will we be happy if we don't go up? Hell no but either will you be and you'll have to get your cheque book out of you don't - that's just the way it is. He hadn't really spent much the season before either but that is unsustainable which is why we shelled out so much for Rhodes and Downing.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here