Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

How confident about Middlesbrough?

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
Fair enough, i wouldn't disagree with that. There have been a few games when we've looked a bit nervy. I'd say our defense hasn't been nervy until Friday night, that's the first time in ages that i've not been fully confident as a team attacks us. That will be the same for both teams on Saturday knowing what 1 mistake could cost them. I'm thinking it'll be a case of first goal takes it, can't see either team coming back from the deflation from conceding the goal.

Not fully confident? You were out and out flaky.

Sweeney Todd

Apr 24, 2008
Oxford/Lancing
Defence is definitely my concern after losing Dunk. It isn't a lack of faith in Greer / Uwe just the simple fact that neither of them have played for months and you guys happen to boast some very good attacking talent.

Is Uwe fit then?

When he was injured against Boro in December, the club said that he would be out for six weeks.

Betfair Bozo

Jul 24, 2007
I really wanted the onus on attacking to be on Boro as I think it would really suit our game to counter-attack them.

Yep, and it would have really not suited Karanka to have to do that (as his substitutions at Brum highlighted.) I'd have made us around an 8/11 chance to avoid defeat at 'boro if that was all that was needed, we are now around a 5/2 shot to go up on Saturday. Big swing.

chaileyjem

#BarberIn
NSC Patron
Jun 27, 2012
Boro fans are keen to remind us of the 3-0 .
Much us as it pains me to recall there are fairly recent precedents in the Champ of a team losing 3-0 in the most recent league match and despite this going on to lose er, 2-0 at home in the crucial "play off" with the same team who were then subsequently promoted.
Couldn't happen again could it. ?

sparkie

Jul 17, 2003
Hove
Much us as it pains me to recall there are fairly recent precedents in the Champ of a team losing 3-0 in the most recent league match and despite this going on to lose er, 2-0 at home in the crucial "play off" with the same team who were then subsequently promoted.
Couldn't happen again could it. ?
A nice 3-0 score reverse St Flavius Day Massacre would be most welcome.

Garry Nelson's Left Foot

Jul 7, 2003
tokyo
I haven't got a clue which way the game will go. Middlesbrough are undoubtedly favourites but not by so much that us winning is unthinkable. As underdogs go we must be as dangerous an underdog as its possible to be. We've only lost five games all season, only two of which were away. One defeat since mid january, plenty of wins on the road and plenty of goals scored. We're resilient as **** and don't know when we're beaten. It might be enough to get us the win or it might not but we're an underdog with a chance.

I'm pretty sure the first goal will be massive. If we get it then we'll have a hell of a chance. If they get it we're looking at needing a footballing miracle on par with Arsenal at Anfield in 89...

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
In fairness, they are only trying to make themselves feel better by trotting it out - we'd do the same. But let's be clear, it doesn't mean much to the here and now*. The two teams will have changed significantly since then. Interestingly, I think that was the last time Greer partnered Goldson (Goldson came on at 60 mins). But we also had Van La Parra, Calderon and Murphy who will be replaced by Knockaert, Rosenior and Skalak - a massive upgrade (Skalak for Murphy is debatable). Boro will start with Rhodes instead of Kike, but on the flip side they will probably have to replace Friend with De Laet.

*Actually, the third goal we conceded now means an awful lot to the table, but not to the state of minds of everyone involved.

MattBackHome

Jul 7, 2003
Imperious: To be arrogant and Domineering.

Bit of an odd choice of wording.

Why not just say Excellent? "Middlesbrough are Excellent at home" would have sufficed.

That said, based on home/away league tables, Brighton are more prone to an away wobble than Boro are prone to a home wobble.

Thanks for the sub editing, but I wrote 'imperious' because I meant imperious. It doesn't just mean arrogant and domineering - though these are two very desirable attributes to have as a home team, so I'm not sure why you're a bit titsy about them.

'Imperious' also suggests a level of natural assertion and control; that the dominance is part of the team's make up. Again it's a compliment and a very odd one to whip your jizz over.

'Excellent' in this context is a very boring word.

:thumbsup:

BigBod

Dec 12, 2014
Whatever happens it's gonna be a great away day, I'm excited to be going and there is no reason why we can't do the business, just got to win one game of footie, that's all....

Wrong-Direction

Mar 10, 2013
I feel sick, but that could be due to the amount of booze I had over the weekend, anyway we've won so many games this season I thought we wouldn't, surely one more isn't too much to ask..?

Sent from my XT1032 using Tapatalk

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here