Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Will Hughes

Pogue Mahone

Apr 30, 2011
I can understand your discontent for him, he was a pivotal part of your downfall today but he is an excellent player, great asset to Derby. ~ humbleclaret

He was. He was very good, although it wasn't quite a downfall.

You do know that you don't have to sign your posts, don't you? It says who posted it at the top of the post.

~Pogue Mahone

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
I thought he was the best opposition player I've seen at the Amex this season - we certainly bring out the best in him. Not sure why there's the hatred towards him, he didn't strike me any more of a wind-up merchant than other players we've seen down here.

Was impressed with Thorne too, our midfield was nowhere today. Stephens had a really poor game - and he's been superb these last few weeks.

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA
I was more than pleased with him that long walk off taking the piss when he got subbed gave Stockdale plenty of time to get up and cause mayhem at the corner that we scored from :thumbsup:

sydney

tinky ****in winky
Jul 11, 2003
town full of eejits
derby are a big strong team ...so much so that they just cant help themselves physically shoving their opposing players off the ball literally , one moment of brilliance by shackell saved them cos carson was nowhere and that free kick was in......christie and hughes are unlikeable as oposition but if they played for us they would be heros.....at least that twatt martin didn't score.

Garry Nelson's Left Foot

Jul 7, 2003
tokyo
I echo any and all sentiments that state:

1) He's a very annoying little shit.

2) He's a very, very good player.

3) I'd be more than happy if we went up and signed him.(If Derby don't go up surely he won't still be there next year?)

Rowdey

Jul 7, 2003
Herne Hill
I saw him clapping the chant. I doubt that he hears it very often, since it would most likely only occur to fans for whom "Albion ... Albion ..." is a commonplace chant in its own right.

Interesting.. Following said spat, the debate then came in as 'Is this an lost Arsenal fan, in the wrong stand, and it's no more than picking on someone's ginger hair, or does he actually have a point..?'

The 'hate' towards Ince intrigued me.. has he got form with us that i've forgotten, or did he not just consider himself a 'bit above Palace' and left them with his nose in the air..?

Eggmundo

U & I R listening to KAOS
Jul 8, 2003
Martin had a bit of an issue with Clement apparently - Oscar/Kusczak scenario.

Hence the dip in form earlier.

BUTTERBALL

East Stand Brighton Boyz
Jul 31, 2003
location location
He always seem to play well against us. Clear MoM yesterday , I don't want to see him again this season that's for sure. A big miss for Derby for most of the season , they must be delighted to have him back.

ShanklySeagull

Justice for the 96...
May 30, 2011
Littlehampton
My son and I were discussing Hughes pre-match. I felt he would be the stand-out dangerman and so it proved to be....he was the best player on the pitch yesterday.

A great player who performs consistently well against us. I find the accusations that he's a diver a little odd. Can you really say that he dives any more than a number of our players? I love our team but am I the only one who feels that some of our players have a tendency to exploit contact situations? I know it a symptom of the modern game but when you watch us play I would say that collectively we are right up there for rolling around to win free kicks!

Surf's Up

Jul 17, 2011
Here
In a team dominated by tossers he was/is the standout tosser. That said, he completely ran the show yesterday and deserves to be a tosser in a much better team than Derby.

Green Cross Code Man

Wunt be druv
Mar 30, 2006
Eastbourne
He was genuinely class. Still a horrible little petulant player. Caused a few 'unfamily' stand type words to slip out.

Crewton Ram

Jan 10, 2013
Nice to read some genuine appreciation of Hughes' performance yesterday. His return is timely for us and it's fair to say if him and Bryson hadn't both picked up serious injuries in the first half-hour of the season we probably wouldn't have spent as much on replacements and might even have pushed a bit harder for autos. If we don't go up via the play-offs, I'm sure there will be PL interest in him, but he's a level headed lad who just enjoys playing football and I doubt he'd move just for the sake of playing in the PL. If Liverpool (his team) showed any interest, I think he'd want to go, but he definitely wouldn't want to be a bench-warmer anywhere. I still think that many PL managers would be cautious because of his lack of pace - I certainly hope so anyway.

All I'll say about the game yesterday was that I thought it was a good advert for the Championship, even though you perhaps didn't play at your best in the 2nd half. I was naturally pleased at how we played and we seem to be hitting form at the right time. I wish though that we could fire in corners like your guys can - it's one disappointing aspect that we haven't addressed yet this season.

Good luck next week - I'd still prefer you to go up rather than Boro, even though we have a crap record against them. If we can get past Hull, beating another Yorkshire team at Wembley would be perfect.

MattBackHome

Jul 7, 2003
Might be a bit of recency bias at play but I reckon that was among best away individual performances I've seen at the Amex. He just seems bigger and better all round than he did a few years ago, and he was pretty good then.

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA
Nice to read some genuine appreciation of Hughes' performance yesterday. His return is timely for us and it's fair to say if him and Bryson hadn't both picked up serious injuries in the first half-hour of the season we probably wouldn't have spent as much on replacements and might even have pushed a bit harder for autos. If we don't go up via the play-offs, I'm sure there will be PL interest in him, but he's a level headed lad who just enjoys playing football and I doubt he'd move just for the sake of playing in the PL. If Liverpool (his team) showed any interest, I think he'd want to go, but he definitely wouldn't want to be a bench-warmer anywhere. I still think that many PL managers would be cautious because of his lack of pace - I certainly hope so anyway.

All I'll say about the game yesterday was that I thought it was a good advert for the Championship, even though you perhaps didn't play at your best in the 2nd half. I was naturally pleased at how we played and we seem to be hitting form at the right time. I wish though that we could fire in corners like your guys can - it's one disappointing aspect that we haven't addressed yet this season.

Good luck next week - I'd still prefer you to go up rather than Boro, even though we have a crap record against them. If we can get past Hull, beating another Yorkshire team at Wembley would be perfect.

Interesting comments

edna krabappel

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Martin had a bit of an issue with Clement apparently - Oscar/Kusczak scenario.

Hence the dip in form earlier.

What was his excuse yesterday? Thought he was pretty poor, given his usual tendency to score against us. Far more obnoxious than Hughes, and annoys me all the more because he doesn't even look like a footballer. He looks like he should be a stationery supplies salesman or something. Fouls continually, goes down continually, and is almost John Terry-like in the amount of time he spends in the officials' faces.

Didn't think Hughes was anywhere near that level of obnoxiousness. I think he's quite lightweight when it suits him, but he has fantastic balance when the opportunity arises, and clearly an excellent footballing brain. I thought he had a great game.

As a curiosity, he does obviously stand out more than others because of his hair. It would be interesting to see how much we'd notice him if he had darker hair and blended in with the rest of his teammates. I'm sure we'd still rate him, but I do wonder sometimes if certain players' physical characteristics bring them to our attention, and cause us to be more conscious of every positive and negative aspect of their game. Players with long hair, or gingers presumably suffer from this too (as, I guess, did black players back in the days when English football was almost entirely white).

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here