Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Dunk red blessing in disguise?

DFL JCL

Jan 8, 2016
I'm not sure if this has already been discussed, but with Dunk out and Greer the obvious replacement that leaves a space on the bench. Calderon or Towell? Calderon seems like the obvious choice. Nice to have him in the match day squad to celebrate with the team once we get automatic promotion. A fitting send off perhaps?

rippleman

Oct 18, 2011
You can coach fitness. You can coach skills. You can coach tactics.

What you can't coach is intelligence.

That will be Dunk's downfall and why he won't cut it at the highest level. Compare and contrast with Goldson.

When we were hammering sides over the past couple of months I was calling for Greer to be given some game time "just in case". I was thinking of an injury rather than stupidity, but I don't understand why, when we have been cruising games, he hasn't had 15/20 mins here and there.

I'm praying it doesn't cost us dear.

Tony Meolas Loan Spell

Slut Faced Whores
Jul 15, 2004
Vamanos Pest

That will be Dunk's downfall and why he won't cut it at the highest level. Compare and contrast with Goldson.

When we were hammering sides over the past couple of months I was calling for Greer to be given some game time "just in case". I was thinking of an injury rather than stupidity, but I don't understand why, when we have been cruising games, he hasn't had 15/20 mins here and there.

I'm praying it doesn't cost us dear.

Spot on. Those brain farts after something like 200 games cannot now be put down to inexperience.

As a centre back yes you are exposed but these "lunges" seem to be in non dangerous areas. Its almost forgivable if it was one on one and he went steaming in, gave away a blatant penno and got himself sent off. But it isn't.

Then there are the back passes...

Tony Meolas Loan Spell

Slut Faced Whores
Jul 15, 2004
Vamanos Pest
I've said this on another thread, but it bears repeating: in 1979 we went to the north-east on the last day without our best defender (Mark Lawrenson had broken his arm), won 3-1 and were promoted.

Thats ok because Dunk isn't even our fourth best defender in that back four.

WonderingSoton

Dec 3, 2014

This sums up my view on Dunk perfectly.
IF we go up, Dunk will be someone we thank for his efforts at this level, but in all likelihood replace with a new buy.

For the more pressing matter of Boro, the simple fact is we need to score more goals than Boro. Thus I feel we need to worry more about our attacking selection than our defensive selection.

symyjym

Banned
Nov 2, 2009
Brighton / Hove actually
I could understand why people would be disappointed in Dunk if he got a straight red for a reckless tackle or something stupid, but it was just a mistimed tackle. Apart from that split second he had an impressive game on many levels.

The most I could accuse him of was being too passionate but that would still be a compliment.

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways
I could understand why people would be disappointed in Dunk if he got a straight red for a reckless tackle or something stupid, but it was just a mistimed tackle. Apart from that split second he had an impressive game on many levels.

The most I could accuse him of was being too passionate but that would still be a compliment.

Agree with your sentiment, but the problem is that he already had a yellow card, and this was more than a mistimed tackle. It was a lunge, and it left the referee with little option,

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
My point is that LD made a mistake but so have many from CH down so it would be wrong to blame just LD.

But he needs to stop doing this. It's really costing him and us.

symyjym

Banned
Nov 2, 2009
Brighton / Hove actually
Agree with your sentiment, but the problem is that he already had a yellow card, and this was more than a mistimed tackle. It was a lunge, and it left the referee with little option,

If it was more than a mistimed tackle it would have been a straight red. His biggest mistake was getting his first yellow but he took that one for the team if I remember correctly.

This incident is the same as accidently knocking a cup of coffee over. It doesn't make someone stupid, it makes them human. As I said, if it were a straight red I would feel differently about it.

ferring seagull

Dec 30, 2010
If it doesn't come off on Sat, please no witch hunt on Dunk please. He f**ked up and will be feeling so low, need to move on and deal with it

Sadly it doesn't appear that LD has any sense of what he causes/has caused given that he clearly doesn't learn from his misdemeanours and repeats them over and over.

Frankly if some club comes in for him over the summer, I don't suppose I would lose too much sleep and, when one sees the quality of Goldson, perhaps our scouting team will make up for the 'loss'

Last edited:

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
We'll miss Dunk next week for sure. However, all those slating him, can you identify one centre back at any club from the premiership down that never makes a mistake?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here