Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Amex Expansion - Is this possible?

SeagullCrow

May 9, 2008
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-leicestershire-36160621

Ash Patel switched from his beloved Liverpool FC to support his home team, Leicester City

Nicola Butler took her dad Mike, who usually supports Liverpool and Coventry City, to the game against Swansea and says she has become hooked

Ultimately this will be a good source of additional revenue for the club in queston (in this case Leicester), but for some reason supporters like this just really irritate me - it's irrational I know, and all supporters find their own way to the clubs that they love. But at a very base level this just strikes me as innately wrong.

It's probably because I was lucky enough to born to a father who was a BHA supporter and I never had any reason to question my football allegiance - the Albion was in my blood from the beginning, and I was more than happy that way.

Nixonator

Feb 8, 2016
Shoreham Beach
Mike Bailey kept us up with 1-0 wins, and draws. After the first season, fans started moaning about it. In the Premier League, the target is 40 points.
Casual fans enjoy watching winning teams, not defensive teams. Attendances drop off.

Could you go here:

http://www.european-football-statistics.co.uk/englandcontent.htm

And find me an example of any club that has had significant attendance drop-off in top flight for the last 20 years?

The best examples that I can find are those that are nailed on for relegation - between 1-2k drop.

Westdene Wonder

Aug 3, 2010
Brighton
We Have been near the top of the league all season & yet out of 23 home games we have only sold out twice.
Why do we need to expand the capacity?

Spot on, should we be promoted we are hardly likely to be winning many games even at home,first season no problem as season tickets will be the order of the day,however whether we stay in the Premiership or return to the Championship our attendances are likely to decrease

tigertim68

Sep 3, 2012
High demand for the first season. After that the casual fan will drop away because we're losing more than winning. When we get relegated again, the numbers will drop again.

Why would they get relegated ? look how well teams like Swansea have done , both Watford and Bournemouth have stayed up quite comfertablly so why can't we ?

TheJasperCo

Jan 20, 2012
Exeter
Bournemouth's ground seats fewer than 12,000, while Norwich has roughly the same capacity as us. In terms of catchment area and surrounding population density, would it make sense to start adding tiers, even just temporary seating?

bn1&bn3 Albion

Jan 15, 2011
Portslade
I guess it could be possible to lower the pitch but even with that I don't know how many extra seats they could add.

It's not something that would need considering until we have been a STABLE Premier League club for at least 5/6 years.. By then safe standing could be allowed and the club could possibly go with that option to increase capacity.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
High demand for the first season. After that the casual fan will drop away because we're losing more than winning. When we get relegated again, the numbers will drop again.
Did you post this 5 years ago?

atomised

Mar 21, 2013
I guess it could be possible to lower the pitch but even with that I don't know how many extra seats they could add.

It's not something that would need considering until we have been a STABLE Premier League club for at least 5/6 years.. By then safe standing could be allowed and the club could possibly go with that option to increase capacity.

That old chestnut even though safe standing wouldn't increase capacity

I thought I heard somewhere there are already plans to improve signalling to reduce the wait time between trains.

An anorak writes:-

Judging by this it has already been done:-

http://www.s-tcover.co.uk/brighton-to-lewes-headway-improvement/

I suspect that this is more to improve reliability than number of trains. I think that currently the Lewes - Brighton service per hour is 2 trains from Seaford, one from Ashford (usually only 2 carriages, I think on matchdays this terminates at Eastbourne and passengers change to a proper, longer train for Brighton), one from Ore and one that shuttles between Lewes and Brighton only - 5 per hour.

Best hope surely is to ensure that trains are formed with as many carriages as possible. However, looking at my "Railway Track Diagrams - Southern & TFL" (what do you mean, you haven't got a copy!) the Brighton platforms at Lewes can only handle trains of max 7 carriages - I am getting a lift on Monday otherwise I would have got to Lewes early with my notebook and Marmite sandwiches to check in detail the usual length of trains through Lewes via this route on a matchday- suspect they are usually only four car with the Seaford ones three car. Pity the Seaford branch was singled beyond Newhaven as this may have allowed an extra train or two to be squeezed in.

I personally can't see much changing regarding train services on match days, anyone ITK regarding Southern able to comment?

bn1&bn3 Albion

Jan 15, 2011
Portslade
That old chestnut even though safe standing wouldn't increase capacity

Safe standing would increase capacity. The problem the club has is it would not be possible without structural changes to the concourse. If the club were looking at options to increase capacity this option may be cheaper and easier than raising the roof or lowering the pitch.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
No, but quite a few people (mostly Palace fans) did. Pretty much what you said, word for word.

How many teams have stayed in the Premier League since Sky took over, & how many have gone up & down? We went up to the top division for 4 years & went back down. That is the point I was clumsily trying to make. The Championship/ div 2 doesn't have the same disparity in money or facilities.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here