Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Hillsborough verdict: Fans unlawfully killed

D

Deleted User X18H

Liverpool fans have been asked not to speculate or make accusations to avoid prejudicing any proceedings.

One of the officers who caught the Yorkshire Ripper - Robert Hydes. Was involved in taking statements at Hillsborough.

Bob'n'weave

Nov 18, 2016
Nr Lewes
Brilliant for the families.

Wonder if this will open the door for a return to terraces?

Interesting point. After Hillsborough, the change from terracing to seating was whizzed through parliament under the assumption that it was this and 'terrace culture' (Thank you The Sun, ****s), that was to blame. I hope that this helps to bring about sensible discussions regarding terraces/safe standing.
One of the main opposing voices is from the Hillsborough Family Support Group who campaigned vigorously for all seater stadiums. I think they may be softening on their stance though, as it is clear that the fans were all completely innocent and in no way contributed to this tragedy.
As well as the criminal negligence/incompetence of the Police was the use of 'pens' for fans. I remember this at the Goldstone and used to stand up the back when it was packed, but looking back now, I think it was fairly well managed by the OB, stewards and of course us :thumbsup:. Lost a few shoes but never got trampled on.
I hope that those at fault go to jail and we can be allowed to bring back the best parts of standing up for your team.:albion2:

portlock seagull

Why? Why us?
Jul 28, 2003
The establishment always looks after its own until it hangs them out to dry. I’d be surprised if he doesn’t top himself before this gets to court. Tragic on every level. And all so preventable.

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
There are few things more cloying in football; more morally repugnant in decent society than the sight of Sir Norman Bettison continuing to play the victim, arrogantly believing he has been vindicated.

His statement outside the Courts briefly mentioned the victims, then the rest was how he had been made a scapegoat, and how HIS life had been ruined.

For their part, the Hillsborough families are launching a review into this decision.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
I fail to see how any charges against him stood any chance of a successful prosecution not the answer for all the victims but reality in a court case in our legal system.

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
Do you know what the charges were, and why they wouldn't have been successful?

I doubt any of us will ever know not that we ever should.

Presumably CPS decided not to proceed

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
We know what the charges were, and that the situation has changed since they were first brought, hence the CPS deciding not to proceed.

What I want to know is how BG is so sure that the original charges wouldn't have been successful?

Poor old BG another witch haunt looming

abc

Jan 6, 2007
There are few things more cloying in football; more morally repugnant in decent society than the sight of Sir Norman Bettison continuing to play the victim, arrogantly believing he has been vindicated.

His statement outside the Courts briefly mentioned the victims, then the rest was how he had been made a scapegoat, and how HIS life had been ruined.

For their part, the Hillsborough families are launching a review into this decision.

My understanding is that the court have thrown this case out 'due to lack of evidence'. If there is no evidence against someone then a prosecution cannot move forward. On the basis of innocent until proven guilty doesn't that therefore vindicate Bettison?

I am not trying to be controversial or insensitive here. I would genuinely like to understand. Thank you

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
My understanding is that the court have thrown this case out 'due to lack of evidence'. If there is no evidence against someone then a prosecution cannot move forward. On the basis of innocent until proven guilty doesn't that therefore vindicate Bettison?

I am not trying to be controversial or insensitive here. I would genuinely like to understand. Thank you

According to the CPS statement, there was enough evidence originally to prosecute, but since reviewing the evidence, two witnesses have changed their statements (not sure why nor to what effect), and one witness has since passed away.

It's something everyone will feel is still hang over Bettison. My issue is that all the way through these proceedings, he has been howling that he has been made a scapegoat, while hardly acknowledging the victims of Hillsborough. Of course, he wasn't directly part of the tragedy, but that's not what he has been prosecuted for.

The BBC state "The Hillsborough Family Support Group said: "We have grave concerns about the handling of this case by the CPS and can confirm that we will be exercising our right to an independent review under the Right to Review scheme.

"It is our view that the wrong charge was brought in the first place and we will be using the review process to argue this point strongly. We know how our supporters will feel about this decision and, of course, we all share all of those feelings."

Speaking outside court, Steve Kelly, whose brother Michael died in the disaster, said: "I'm absolutely devastated. I feel as if I've been beaten up this morning. I feel as though we are treading water a little bit."

happypig

Staring at the rude boys
May 23, 2009
Eastbourne

I wouldn't say it vindicated him. Defending the charges in court might do but the CPS have decided not to proceed as (presumably) they don't think their evidence is strong enough to convict. He remains Not Guilty of any offence and to speculate further might jeopardise any further action.

I know what I think of him though.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here