Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Boro forum - none too positive...

trueblue

Jul 5, 2003
Hove
I love it that one of them grudgingly suggests we're probably better than Ipswich this season. Just a bit. The penny starting to drop at last?

Mo Gosfield

Aug 11, 2010
I love it that one of them grudgingly suggests we're probably better than Ipswich this season. Just a bit. The penny starting to drop at last?

They are still looking back to Dec 19th when they gave us a good tonking but we are totally different from then. New players, injured players then, now returned. Fantastic team spirit, full of confidence. It is galling to look back to that time, when we were at our lowest ebb, decimated by injuries, which many choose to disregard. We would comfortably beat Ipswich and Wolves now.
I have no doubt that Burnley and Boro would have gone off the rails with 7 key first teamers out long term. It has been a fantastic effort to get back on track and hang onto the coat-tails of two teams ripping up the division.

Wilko

LUZZING chairs about
Sep 19, 2003
BN1

I laughed at that too, we are 'probably' better than Ipswich talking about the team joint top of the league.

Herne Hill Seagull

Jul 10, 2003
Galicia
I wonder what it is about us that makes other teams, and not just their support, fail to take us seriously even when we're winning? Pardew's complaint that 'the best team didn't win the league' when we'd taken four points off his Reading side (and had a good goal disallowed in the last minute at their place that would have made it six) in a season we finished six points clear of them. Adkins's infamous 'if they can keep up with us' remark in a season we won the title with four games to spare. Now this, with the likes of 'they're not playing mugs anymore' (threads passim) when there are two games remaining out of 46.

It makes it even more satisfying if we then go on to achieve what we've been chasing all season.

Edit - now I think about it, a comment in the press which prompted me to email the journo to correct him, the year we won the title in League 2, that Chesterfield 'would have won the title but for a points deduction', when we had the trophy in our hands before the deduction was even ratified. Even after we've won the thing, we've been written off in the past. Wonder how they'd spin it this season, should we get up. A 46-game fluke?

Pintos

Jul 28, 2005
Oxted
Boro team on Dec 19

Stockdale
Bruno
Calderon
Greer
Hunemeir
Stephens
Kayal
Murphy
Hemed
Wilson

It's our defence that has changed BIG time from then but only Knockout for van le Parra has seen us go goal CRAZY

we should have played 11 men

brightn'ove

cringe
Apr 12, 2011
London
I wonder what it is about us that makes other teams, and not just their support, fail to take us seriously even when we're winning? Pardew's complaint that 'the best team didn't win the league' when we'd taken four points off his Reading side (and had a good goal disallowed in the last minute at their place that would have made it six) in a season we finished six points clear of them. Adkins's infamous 'if they can keep up with us' remark in a season we won the title with four games to spare. Now this, with the likes of 'they're not playing mugs anymore' (threads passim) when there are two games remaining out of 46.

It makes it even more satisfying if we then go on to achieve what we've been chasing all season.

Edit - now I think about it, a comment in the press which prompted me to email the journo to correct him, the year we won the title in League 2, that Chesterfield 'would have won the title but for a points deduction', when we had the trophy in our hands before the deduction was even ratified. Even after we've won the thing, we've been written off in the past. Wonder how they'd spin it this season, should we get up. A 46-game fluke?

One thing that always bugged me was that the journos would always refer to our league one title over southampton as a 'close' battle. We clinched the title when we were 16 points clear of them and then were on the beach from then on. Saints picked up points and made it look close but it was anything but.

Mattywerewolf

Mar 7, 2012
Saff of the River
Boro team on Dec 19

Stockdale
Bruno
Calderon
Greer
Hunemeir
Stephens
Kayal
Murphy
Hemed
Wilson

It's our defence that has changed BIG time from then but only Knockout for van le Parra has seen us go goal CRAZY

Yes and Bench was

Maenpaa
Crofts
Elvis
Goldson
Ince
Chicksen
Zamora

Says a lot about relative strength in depth at the time.....

essbee

Jan 5, 2005
One of the posters suggests that Derby will put out a scratch side against us.........I'm not so sure about that.

Baldseagull

Jan 26, 2012
Crawley

To be fair, Pardews Reading and Adkins Saints sides had the better players, what they are really saying is that Micky Adams and Gus Poyet are better managers than they were.
Boro probably have the best squad in the division, but we are not far behind them on that and have the better team spirit.

Eeyore

Lord Donkey of Queen's Park
NSC Patreon
Apr 5, 2014
It's amazing how some assume that a two goal defeat at Birmingham and an equal victory for us at home to Derby County means they need a 3-0 win. It would be a two goal win (would have been 1-0 excepting that we would have scored more goals)

It's a 'head to head'. A single goal counts as double.

My head hurts.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here