Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Other clubs views of the race to the premier league

bn1&bn3 Albion

Jan 15, 2011
Portslade
Saw this posted on the Middlesboro forum, writing about Burnley...

Burnley have a very strange compass as a football club. They employ Joey Barton, spend 8m on Andre Gray and sent off the Belgian Prince back home after a few months whilst claiming they haven't spent any money. Dyche has even admitted the club doesn't have any real scouting network, which is why the crux of their dealings next season will be yet more overpriced players from the Championship. (What's the betting they'll try and buy Friend or Clayton from us? Is that Barry Bannan's agent on the phone?)

Eddie Howe - the one, the only, pretty much built their strike-force. Austin and Ings were all brought in on his watch, Vokes was signed and scouted by him (as he previously played with him at Bournemouth) and Jay Rodriguez (remember him?) was reignited under his management. Owen Coyle almost sold him for nothing iirc.

Dyche has come in with his strong ginger chin and just grafted some discipline at the back. But let's make no bones about this, they are limited in certain areas and are limiting themselves. I like Burnley (my grandad is from Burnley) but I'm just a little saddened that they seem to be stuck in this perma-loop of hovering between 17th in the Premier League and the Championship playoffs.

Listen if we don't go up, at least it will be Brighton going up instead and at least they offer something different to Burnley. At least they'll spend money, go out and buy some attractive players and set in stone something useful for the next few years and gain some admirers both at home and abroad. Burnley will go up, buy some average British players, get relegated, buy more overpriced British players, go up, get relegated, ad-nausem. Its boring. Who the *** wants that?

I probably seem like a snob when I say this, but they don't seem like a Premier League club or even one that is comfortable being a Premier League club. Their u18 team plays in League 3 (ours were PL champions last year) and they play in an ugly outdated stadium. (Well two of their stands are ugly and outdated.) Honestly, they are basically Wimbledon for the Netflix generation. Do you really think they are gonna go up, buy a player like Shinji Okazaki and then take the league by storm, while gaining a ton of new admirers around the globe? Hell no. They are the ugly bridesmaid that nobody wants to shag at the reception.

They are boring. They look boring. They play boring. They have boring players. They have a boring future.

There is actually a street not too far from Turf Moor which is named after my great granddad. He was a massive philanthropist to the town. So come at me Clarets fans - I don't care. I don't hate your club or your town. I hate what you are trying to do, which is to systematically bore the *** pants off me and every single football supporter in the world by having the aesthetic qualities of a door-stop. Sign a *** foreign player, play something different to 4-4-***-2 and try to project an image to the rest of the world that doesn't perpetuate the stereotype that your fans have six fingers and Burnley is a backwards inbreeding ***-hole. You're going to the Premier League now. Stop acting like a homeless man stumbling around Harrods. You deserve to be there, so act like that and I won't find you so odious for the next 12 months.
[Image: mb_org.gif]

:laugh::clap2:

Gazwag

5 millionth post poster
Mar 4, 2004
Bexhill-on-Sea
Been reading a Boro forum and they are extremely confident of beating us so only need a draw on Friday.

Brighton are in form. But they were in form when we played them last time and we blew them out the water at their own ground. We can do this!! UTB!!

We weren't really in form then, certainly not like now, the unbeaten run was becoming a problem as were concentrating on not losing rather than winning and only 5 who started that day will start on the 7th and our bench is massively stronger with almost everybody fit

Badger

NOT the Honey Badger
NSC Patron
May 8, 2007
Toronto
When he says the stadium is outdated, he means the seats are too wide, have too much legroom, and are too comfortable. And are made of wood. Modern stadiums have the cheapest possible plastic tip-ups crammed into the smallest possible space. Think Ryanair short-haul plane seats - that's the sort stadium modern clubs should aspire to.

I take it you haven't been to The Amex then?

seagully

Cock-knobs!
Jun 30, 2006
Battle
I really don't understand the snobbery from some football fans around systems/styles of play. If every team played the same brand of 4-2-3-1 tiki taka football then how boring would football matches be? I personally don't particularly enjoy the Burnley way of playing but who am I to criticise if it brings them success?

sparkie

Jul 17, 2003
Hove
Been reading a Boro forum and they are extremely confident of beating us so only need a draw on Friday.

We weren't really in form then, certainly not like now, the unbeaten run was becoming a problem as were concentrating on not losing rather than winning and only 5 who started that day will start on the 7th and our bench is massively stronger with almost everybody fit
Good. The more confident they are of just having to turn up to win.... the better.

Uh_huh_him

Sep 28, 2011

Burnley have a very strange compass as a football club. They employ Joey Barton, spend 8m on Andre Gray and sent off the Belgian Prince back home after a few months whilst claiming they haven't spent any money. Dyche has even admitted the club doesn't have any real scouting network, which is why the crux of their dealings next season will be yet more overpriced players from the Championship. (What's the betting they'll try and buy Friend or Clayton from us? Is that Barry Bannan's agent on the phone?)

Eddie Howe - the one, the only, pretty much built their strike-force. Austin and Ings were all brought in on his watch, Vokes was signed and scouted by him (as he previously played with him at Bournemouth) and Jay Rodriguez (remember him?) was reignited under his management. Owen Coyle almost sold him for nothing iirc.

Dyche has come in with his strong ginger chin and just grafted some discipline at the back. But let's make no bones about this, they are limited in certain areas and are limiting themselves. I like Burnley (my grandad is from Burnley) but I'm just a little saddened that they seem to be stuck in this perma-loop of hovering between 17th in the Premier League and the Championship playoffs.

Listen if we don't go up, at least it will be Brighton going up instead and at least they offer something different to Burnley. At least they'll spend money, go out and buy some attractive players and set in stone something useful for the next few years and gain some admirers both at home and abroad. Burnley will go up, buy some average British players, get relegated, buy more overpriced British players, go up, get relegated, ad-nausem. Its boring. Who the *** wants that?

I probably seem like a snob when I say this, but they don't seem like a Premier League club or even one that is comfortable being a Premier League club. Their u18 team plays in League 3 (ours were PL champions last year) and they play in an ugly outdated stadium. (Well two of their stands are ugly and outdated.) Honestly, they are basically Wimbledon for the Netflix generation. Do you really think they are gonna go up, buy a player like Shinji Okazaki and then take the league by storm, while gaining a ton of new admirers around the globe? Hell no. They are the ugly bridesmaid that nobody wants to shag at the reception.

They are boring. They look boring. They play boring. They have boring players. They have a boring future.

There is actually a street not too far from Turf Moor which is named after my great granddad. He was a massive philanthropist to the town. So come at me Clarets fans - I don't care. I don't hate your club or your town. I hate what you are trying to do, which is to systematically bore the *** pants off me and every single football supporter in the world by having the aesthetic qualities of a door-stop. Sign a *** foreign player, play something different to 4-4-***-2 and try to project an image to the rest of the world that doesn't perpetuate the stereotype that your fans have six fingers and Burnley is a backwards inbreeding ***-hole. You're going to the Premier League now. Stop acting like a homeless man stumbling around Harrods. You deserve to be there, so act like that and I won't find you so odious for the next 12 months.

That is a wonderful summary.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton

I LOVE the idea they think they're facing the side they faced earlier in the season at ours. They're in for a BIG surprise.

Mackenzie

Old Brightonian
Nov 7, 2003
East Wales
I really don't understand the snobbery from some football fans around systems/styles of play. If every team played the same brand of 4-2-3-1 tiki taka football then how boring would football matches be? I personally don't particularly enjoy the Burnley way of playing but who am I to criticise if it brings them success?
Look at Southampton, they were promoted from the third division to the first on the back of long diagonal balls on to the head of Ricky Lambert. If Burnley want to advance using some sort of rugby league/football hybrid then that's their lookout.

:)

John Bumlick

Banned
Apr 29, 2007
here hare here
Why do people feel the need to quote an entire 500 word post before adding some pointless one line reply or, even worse, a fecking smiley? It's bloody annoying and if it doesn't stop I shall be writing to my MP.

FamilyGuy

Jul 8, 2003
Crawley
Why do people feel the need to quote an entire 500 word post before adding some pointless one line reply or, even worse, a fecking smiley? It's bloody annoying and if it doesn't stop I shall be writing to my MP.

OK then

Gazwag

5 millionth post poster
Mar 4, 2004
Bexhill-on-Sea

:thumbsup:

KingstonSeagull

May 1, 2013
Shoreditch
When he says the stadium is outdated, he means the seats are too wide, have too much legroom, and are too comfortable. And are made of wood. Modern stadiums have the cheapest possible plastic tip-ups crammed into the smallest possible space. Think Ryanair short-haul plane seats - that's the sort stadium modern clubs should aspire to.

When I think of a comfortable football seat I don't think wood... I assume you haven't been to the Amex.

Turkey

Jul 4, 2003
I think it's great seeing so many different ways of playing in the league, direct balls, short passing, counter attacking. Great league, doesn't matter how you play if you win. All about the points.

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
The bottom line is Burnley are the team most likely to go up, yet they're only in that position because of late equalisers against us and Boro and a late winner vs Brum.

It is their ability to keep going until the bitter end that will get them promoted, not their skill level. It is incredible that a team so reliant on one striker, penalties and set piece goals has achieved what they've achieved this season.

75% of me hates them, but 25% of me admires them for the results they manage to grind out.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here