Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Final day protests at Charlton: Boro & Brighton fans waiting in stands to hear fate?

Exile

Objective but passionate
Aug 10, 2014
Yes - if three of us finish with identical records, we all get prompted with a copy of the trophy

And, obviously, the the play-offs are cancelled because four teams can't get promoted.

Almost - actually they've decided that because the three teams are so far in front, we ARE all promoted, but the play offs still take place between the next four, as to deny them would be unfair. To balance this, fourth-bottom Crystal Palace must unfortunately also be relegated.

Wozza

Shite Supporter
Jul 6, 2003
It's all about context and timing.

Would you start a thread right now wondering about play off ticket allocations to Sheffield Wednesday? Of course not.

Aye. My message was based on a Tweet from Charlton fans this morning which claimed a protest during the match against against Burnley would be "fair" (their words) as they also did it against Boro and Brighton.

Hotchilidog

Jan 24, 2009
The Burnley protest thread on Charltonlife at the moment is fairly feisty. I'm expecting a lot of disruption to this game particularly second half. We had to deal with it, Boro had to deal with it and now Burnley will.

sully

Dunscouting
Jul 7, 2003
Worthing
I'm hoping that the Burnley fans don't give Charlton the respect we did on Saturday, causing Charlton to lift their game.

... Well we can hope.

What we have to remember is that we supported the fans against their club managment. I don't see how that would positively affect the players, who are employed by said management.

In these situations, the players are generally a bit cocooned from all the goings on, as the club won't want them to side with the supporters. I imagine.

It's all a bit too complicated and will probably be totally irrelevant anyway.

BBassic

I changed this.
Jul 28, 2011
The Burnley protest thread on Charltonlife at the moment is fairly feisty. I'm expecting a lot of disruption to this game particularly second half. We had to deal with it, Boro had to deal with it and now Burnley will.

Thing is though Burnley fans don't seem to be as willing to 'deal with it'.

We've had some solidarity with Charlton for years and Boro fans just seem to be decent football fans generally but Burnley? Why would they give two hoots about Charlton or their recent troubles when a £100m payday is in the offing?

Reckon there could be some trouble without some savvy stewarding / policing.

Hotchilidog

Jan 24, 2009
Thing is though Burnley fans don't seem to be as willing to 'deal with it'.

We've had some solidarity with Charlton for years and Boro fans just seem to be decent football fans generally but Burnley? Why would they give two hoots about Charlton or their recent troubles when a £100m payday is in the offing?

Reckon there could be some trouble without some savvy stewarding / policing.

I think you maybe right, I do not think there will be the same spirit of co-operation as there was saturday.

Marshy

Jul 6, 2003
FRUIT OF THE BLOOM
I wouldnt be suprised if this fixture didnt get completed.....

I think the Charlton fans will be on the pitch from the off....

Fungus

NSC Patron
May 21, 2004
Truro
Almost - actually they've decided that because the three teams are so far in front, we ARE all promoted, but the play offs still take place between the next four, as to deny them would be unfair. To balance this, fourth-bottom Crystal Palace must unfortunately also be relegated.

... if only Palace weren't safely(ish) fifth-bottom.

Ernest

Stupid IDIOT
Nov 8, 2003
LOONEY BIN
And I agree you were harshly slated for your statement BG.

Apparently the football league have considered these possibilities - To date there are no plans to alter kick off times either in the first half or 2nd halves.

They have also considered the possibility of an abandonment. That could potentially have resulted in Burnley being awarded a 3-0 victory but given the circumstances that has been ruled out. The likely outcome would then be a re-scheduled match on the Tuesday; however, they even feel that, they would hope to avoid if possible.

It seems they are going to just do nothing for now and hope that a solution scenario is not necessary. That probably means that they will ensure that the referee in charge of the Charlton v Burnley match will be given a directive to ensure that the match concludes on that day, no matter what time that may end up being.

To be honest I am not concerned at all. The situation, is what it is so all 3 teams just have to get on with it.

In the end empty the ground and play the match out in an empty stadium

Official Old Man

Uckfield Seagull
Aug 27, 2011
Brighton
I've got a feeling about this one. Charlton didn't look a bad side (OK they were).
But will the Burnley fans have the same patience as us? I think not, which could get to the Charlton fans and team.
May take a minute out from my celebrations at the Riverside to see if they are still playing, then again maybe not.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
In the end empty the ground and play the match out in an empty stadium

That is too obvious to tell the fans if there are any hold ups that is what will happen. If they have to wait 30 mins to finish the game so be it, only the Charlton fans to blame. Sort out some other form of protest, like refusing to leave at the end of the game and stay on the terraces or even on the pitch.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here