Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
£135 million! Wow, that's obscene!

Last year the figures were (roughly)

Gate Receipts £10m
TV £5m
Commercial £5m
Other £3m

If the PL TV money next season is distributed along similar lines to the current deal, then the side that finishes bottom will receive £99 million, and the winners will get about £152 million. This (very crudely) means that it's worth about £2.5 million for each place you finish above bottom.

If we say that the Albion manage to just escape relegation and finish say 16th, then revenues realistically would be

TV £109 million
Gate Receipts (assuming average attendances of 29,500) £13 million
Commerical: greater exposure on TV, so better perimeter advertising, new partner deals etc, a convervative overall = £8 million
Other £5 million (Retail, catering etc.)

Total £135 million.

Not all of this will immediately disappear on wages. The Premier League have something called Short Term Cost Control (STCC), which limits wages, and it looks as if the Albion would be restricted to a player wage bill of £67 million next season, increasing by £7 million per season afterwards, PLUS any additional non-TV income the club manages to generate.

http://www.premierleague.com/en-gb/news/news/2015-16/mar/240316-premier-league-clubs-agree-to-continue-short-term-cost-control-rules.html

I'd expect the Albion to lose at least £25 million this season if we are promoted. Losses last year were £10 million, but the signings of Hemed, Murphy, Manu, Skalak and Knockaert are all probably for fees in excess of £1 million, Goldson was an estimated £600k, their wages are in line with those fees.

Fulham offered over £5 million for Lewis Dunk, and so would have been offering him at least £20k a week to sign for them. In giving him a new contract I suspect the Albion have gone reasonably close to Fulham's wage offer.

All of the above is likely to substantially increase the Albion's overall wage bill, which in 2014/15 was just over £20 million.

Hidden away in the accounts that showed a loss of £10 million is a note saying that was after making a gain of £8.7 million from selling Ulloa and Buckley. Such gains are unlikely to have been repeated in 2015/16 from the loan fee we get from Forest for Chris O'Grady.

There will be substantial promotion bonuses too. Burnley paid out £8 million in bonuses in 2013/14 when they went up. Could see the Albion easily exceeding that, especially as the bonus pool has been generously extended by Tony Bloom to included every staff member from the tea lady upwards.

However we are not up yet, so I've not erased Burton and Rotherham from my sat nav.

Green Cross Code Man

Wunt be druv
Mar 30, 2006
Eastbourne
Last year the figures were (roughly)

Gate Receipts £10m
TV £5m
Commercial £5m
Other £3m

If the PL TV money next season is distributed along similar lines to the current deal, then the side that finishes bottom will receive £99 million, and the winners will get about £152 million. This (very crudely) means that it's worth about £2.5 million for each place you finish above bottom.

If we say that the Albion manage to just escape relegation and finish say 16th, then revenues realistically would be

TV £109 million
Gate Receipts (assuming average attendances of 29,500) £13 million
Commerical: greater exposure on TV, so better perimeter advertising, new partner deals etc, a convervative overall = £8 million
Other £5 million (Retail, catering etc.)

Total £135 million.

Not all of this will immediately disappear on wages. The Premier League have something called Short Term Cost Control (STCC), which limits wages, and it looks as if the Albion would be restricted to a player wage bill of £67 million next season, increasing by £7 million per season afterwards, PLUS any additional non-TV income the club manages to generate.

http://www.premierleague.com/en-gb/news/news/2015-16/mar/240316-premier-league-clubs-agree-to-continue-short-term-cost-control-rules.html

I'd expect the Albion to lose at least £25 million this season if we are promoted. Losses last year were £10 million, but the signings of Hemed, Murphy, Manu, Skalak and Knockaert are all probably for fees in excess of £1 million, Goldson was an estimated £600k, their wages are in line with those fees.

Fulham offered over £5 million for Lewis Dunk, and so would have been offering him at least £20k a week to sign for them. In giving him a new contract I suspect the Albion have gone reasonably close to Fulham's wage offer.

All of the above is likely to substantially increase the Albion's overall wage bill, which in 2014/15 was just over £20 million.

Hidden away in the accounts that showed a loss of £10 million is a note saying that was after making a gain of £8.7 million from selling Ulloa and Buckley. Such gains are unlikely to have been repeated in 2015/16 from the loan fee we get from Forest for Chris O'Grady.

There will be substantial promotion bonuses too. Burnley paid out £8 million in bonuses in 2013/14 when they went up. Could see the Albion easily exceeding that, especially as the bonus pool has been generously extended by Tony Bloom to included every staff member from the tea lady upwards.

However we are not up yet, so I've not erased Burton and Rotherham from my sat nav.
Thanks so much for that El P.

Fascinating reading and really highlights how desperate we, and others are, to get up this year.

What a lovely touch from Tony Bloom, giving everyone a promotion bonus. That is a very good move IMO.

reigate

Nov 10, 2005
When do promoted clubs receive the tv money? Is it quite quick, or do they need to borrow against it if going on a summer shopping spree?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here