Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Will Derby rest players?

sparkie

Jul 17, 2003
Hove
Let's remember a few things:
1 we mugged them last year at the Amex
2. They must be the most aesthetically ugly side in the championship
3. It was at the iPro that Goldson was racially abused.
4. We're a better team than them.

5. They booed Solly March for getting a season ending injury at the iPro ? ???

Sorrel

Jul 5, 2003
Back in East Sussex
It won't be a season defining game for Derby, so they won't be so fired up. However, they want to be playing well when going into the playoffs so they will remain focused. The danger is that with the pressure off them they won't be nervous.

As usual, if we're the better team then most of the time we'll be better. Let's just hope we don't do a Middlesborough in front of goal, like they did yesterday.

pb21

Apr 23, 2010
5. They booed Solly March for getting a season ending injury at the iPro ? ???

I listened to that game on BBC Derby or whatever it's called and not only were the fans on March's back but so was the main commentator. They clearly have a problem with injured players.

Arkwright

Arkwright
Oct 26, 2010
Caterham, Surrey
With Derby guaranteed to play Hull I think they will rest players or at the very least rotate the starting XI

That said it just means the fringe players will be hungry to get into the squad for the Playoffs, Derby have got big squad so it won't make much of a difference. I just hope they rest Chris Martin.

saafend_seagull

Jul 5, 2003
BN1
I watched them today and thought they were pretty crap considering their recent form. Chris Martin has been comedy bad for most of the season.
Derby fan posting on Oneboro thinks that Blackman, Bent and Wiemann will play on Monday. Bloody hope so.

Really? They'd probably play better than normal 11 to stake place in the side for play offs.

Seagull1989

Oct 31, 2011
I spoke to a mate of mine who's a Derby fans and he said they would prefer to play us in the play offs as they know they can't beat us .

He also said they haven't beaten Burnely in something like 14 games and they are their bogey team. So expect them to be up for the game against us and they won't be doing us any favours

Hugo Rune

NSC Patron
Feb 23, 2012
Brighton
This is a Derby fan's view of the game posted to Boro fans on their forum:

"I wouldn't bank on us doing you a favour though

We'll be resting key players now 4th has most likely gone and 5th is pretty much sewn up.. I can see Blackman and Weimann playing next week with probably Bent up front as well, and Hanson will get in ahead of Thorne again to protect him for the playoffs... and anyone who's seen Blackman and Weimann will know they offer absolutely nothing, esp blackman who managed to just stand there and do nothing with the goal gaping today.

I don't want us to be the club that gets the battering for this auto race, we could essentially get t***** 4-0 next week and cost either you or burnley autos for having no integrity.. I hope we don't and we actually try next week."

Brovion

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
I am coming round to the view that this is actually the ideal time to be playing Derby. They can't get automatic promotion so their minds are already on the play-offs. Unlike a mid-table team with nothing to play for their season is anything but over and they'll want to keep their powder dry for the two massive games they've got coming up. No one will want to get injured or suspended, so they won't approach it with the same intensity we will.

EDIT: That's not to say of course that they're going to treat it as a pre-season friendly ...

Last edited:

Peter Grummit

Oct 13, 2004
Lewes
This is a Derby fan's view of the game posted to Boro fans on their forum:

"I wouldn't bank on us doing you a favour though

We'll be resting key players now 4th has most likely gone and 5th is pretty much sewn up.. I can see Blackman and Weimann playing next week with probably Bent up front as well, and Hanson will get in ahead of Thorne again to protect him for the playoffs... and anyone who's seen Blackman and Weimann will know they offer absolutely nothing, esp blackman who managed to just stand there and do nothing with the goal gaping today.

I don't want us to be the club that gets the battering for this auto race, we could essentially get t***** 4-0 next week and cost either you or burnley autos for having no integrity.. I hope we don't and we actually try next week."
I am coming round to the view that this is actually the ideal time to be playing Derby. They can't get automatic promotion so their minds are already on the play-offs. Unlike a mid-table team with nothing to play for their season is anything but over and they'll want to keep their powder dry for the two massive games they've got coming up. No one will want to get injured or suspended, so they won't approach it with the same intensity we will.

EDIT: That's not to say of course that they're going to treat it as a pre-season friendly ...

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

Crewton Ram

Jan 10, 2013
I can't see us resting many, if any, players. Even if we lose, there's still a chance we might play you in the POs, so why would Wassall want to give you a confidence boosting easy win by playing a weakened side? Johnson and Hendrick aren't fit yet, Thorne may not have recovered from the illness that kept him out at the weekend, but Bryson and Hughes are still getting up to speed after LT injuries and need game time, so I think he'll want to give them another start. I could possibly see Martin being rested in favour of Bent, but I would be surprised if there's any further tinkering.

Personally, whatever the result of this game, I hope you pip Boro to that 2nd spot because, despite the fact that they're a bit of a bogey team, I'd like the chance to put one over on them should we get past Hull and into the Final. Having said that, I can see Wednesday giving the 3rd place team a hard match because they'll be very buoyant having made the POs.

moggy

Oct 15, 2003
southwick
I can't see us resting many, if any, players. Even if we lose, there's still a chance we might play you in the POs, so why would Wassall want to give you a confidence boosting easy win by playing a weakened side? Johnson and Hendrick aren't fit yet, Thorne may not have recovered from the illness that kept him out at the weekend, but Bryson and Hughes are still getting up to speed after LT injuries and need game time, so I think he'll want to give them another start. I could possibly see Martin being rested in favour of Bent, but I would be surprised if there's any further tinkering.

Personally, whatever the result of this game, I hope you pip Boro to that 2nd spot because, despite the fact that they're a bit of a bogey team, I'd like the chance to put one over on them should we get past Hull and into the Final. Having said that, I can see Wednesday giving the 3rd place team a hard match because they'll be very buoyant having made the POs.

I'm not so sure, if any of your key players get injured or sent off that could dick you for the playoffs. Especially when you have to overcome firstly hull then one of the top 3. That's 3 really tough games for you. If I was manager, I'd be making sure all my best players were going to be guaranteed fit for those games.

KT17

Apr 19, 2014

Interesting. I guess the answer to your first question could be that he might not want to show too much of his true game plan to Hughton in the first game. On your final point I think any four of the PO teams could do it, it is a lottery.

I'm really on edge about Monday's game but should be a cracking atmosphere, full house...

sparkie

Jul 17, 2003
Hove
The way I look at this game is whatever happens v Derby we still probably will need to beat Boro. So if Boro beat Brum the Derby game turns into a 'must not lose' game for us.
If Birmingham beat Middlesbrough we could do with a good win so we can afford to lose 1-0 at Riverside at still go up.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here