Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Thank you (Charlton Fan)

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003
We had the vocal minority holding grudges over coaches etc in the other thread - this fella had come on here to thank our decent fans who showed our support for CAFC - let's not turn it into another binfest - if you have nothing nice to say or didn't help them today, keep your comments to yourselves or the other thread?

aberdare seagull

Feb 28, 2014
south wales
Obviously delighted tonight.
But tinged with sadness that Charlton are in the position that they are in.
I can't think of many other clubs apart from Plymouth Argyle that I would want this to happen too.
Back down in League 1 with a crap owner, great shame I wish you all the best.
Good club, good fans.

Out of interest why would you want this to happen to Plymouth argyle or is this a matelot thing? I assume you forgot the original fans utd idea was a Plymouth fan

BIG GAY AL

May 27, 2008
image.jpg

As someone who is a Brighton fan but often watches charlton because they're close to where I live I was really impressed and period to be a bha fan. I remember the ticket stuff, but as people have said that wasn't the fans, but the club. Nice to see fans stick together.

Raleigh Chopper

Sep 1, 2011
Plymouth
Out of interest why would you want this to happen to Plymouth argyle or is this a matelot thing? I assume you forgot the original fans utd idea was a Plymouth fan

Oh Jesus.
Yes, a typo and a bad one.
Brighton aside of course, Plymouth and Charlton are the only clubs I really would not like this to happen to.
I think I got it right that time.

Saddened by some of the posts, it's all about fans, we should know that more than most.
The fans did not stick up posters.
The fans did not steal players off of us.
But the fans certainly did turn up to support our cause when we needed them.
And that is all that matters.
Sometimes some of our fans make me put my head in my hands in disbelief. But as someone else has already said its a tiny minority.

Skaville

Jun 10, 2004
Queens Park
It's a shame that both the BBC and Sky write up's on the game fail to recognise the united front against Roland. Poor journalism, especially the Sky piece that suggests the Charlton fans gave up on their side so threw a flare on the pitch.

garethjamesuk

Jan 6, 2004
Eastbourne
I like charlton and sad that this has happened, Charlton was one of my early football games as a school kid, when Dorothy stringer organised to go and see Charlton vs Man utd, was a good game and something i will always remember, i hope you bounce back very quickly.

Raleigh Chopper

Sep 1, 2011
Plymouth
It's a shame that both the BBC and Sky write up's on the game fail to recognise the united front against Roland. Poor journalism, especially the Sky piece that suggests the Charlton fans gave up on their side so threw a flare on the pitch.

That's Sky for you.
Banging on about Barton all game as well.
Apart from Martyn Tyler it's crap mainly.

spongy

Aug 7, 2011
Burgess Hill
I had mine confiscated by some toss faced steward on the way in.

Me too. Had to empty my pockets of my balloons as well. I swear to God I'm a magnet for being searched.

Even had to show my ticket to get into the Antigallican at 12.15. Perhaps it's my bald head and big build. I hate being stereotyped.

clapham_gull

Legacy Fan
Aug 20, 2003
It doesn't appear to be asset stripping and appears to be an ownership that wants the club to exist within it's means.

But (and it's a big but) they are quite obvioiusly rubbish at runnig a football club. They have failed and the supporters have very right to tell them to **** off.

Jim Van Winkle

Jul 14, 2010
Hawaii
Yep, I'll never forget the billboards outside Brighton station advertising free coaches to watch Premiere league football at the Valley when we were on our knees.

I am glad some people don't have short memories and I am surprised it took 18 posts for someone to say it.

And before the happy clappy brigade start up - yes we should support clubs in need. However, let's not rewrite history.

fataddick

Feb 6, 2004
The seaside.
Echo the OP's sentiments. I was planning to travel up for the protest march today (although not the game as, like many, I'm boycotting home matches under this regime) but unfortunately couldn't in the end. Followed the march via social media and the game on Kodi. From what I've seen/heard, Albion fans went well and above the general 'fans united' call of duty in their support of our protests. A good 50% of post game Tweets with the #cafc hashtag after the game were home fans thanking Albion supporters and rightly so.

I can appreciate those above who have criticisms too. FWIW: The issue of the subsidised coaches I have responded to on here many times on over the years. Quick summary: they actually started up in the mid 80s and still run even now to Charlton home games from Brighton, Worthing, Hastings, etc. Running such a service isn't a crime, but the aggressive promotion of it in Sussex during the Withdean Years was clearly out of order. Many Brighton-based Addicks including myself criticised the club for it at the time - what more could we as fans do?

I also appreciate that many fans of other clubs don't understand what we are protesting about as it isn't as clear cut as Archer or Oyston. A quick summary would be: Mad Belgian billionaire buys club as part of a social experiment, hires non-football people to run it, forces out all the experienced staff - no chief scout, director of football, comms manager, etc - and buys, sells and loans in/out players via his mates largely without involving the head coach (whoever that might be at the time - six in two years, some with no experience bar Belgian non-league). Said players are largely castoffs/surplus from the other clubs he owns. One former manager (Chris Powell) has gone on record that on more than one occasion a player he had never heard of turned up at the training ground bearing a note from Roland Duchatelet saying that Chris had to start him in every game! Add in our CEO telling reporters that "football fans are weird for thinking the club somehow belongs to them" and "most Charlton fans are over 60, why the hell should I listen to them?" Throw in the 3rd lowest wage bill in the Championship despite an owner of similar wealth to Tony Bloom. Etc, etc...

Anyway, enough ranting at the few critics. Again many thanks to the vast majority of Seagulls for their great support today and best of luck for automatic promotion. Hopefully you can get the two wins and not have to potentially rely on our (usually much worse than today) squad getting something against Burnley.

PS Charlton players have been told to be on call until (ie not book any holiday before) May 13th. Apparently the new Football League rule (introduced for this season after the abandonment of Blackpool v Huddersfield on the last day last season) is that if our game v Burnley *is* abandoned, it will have to be replayed behind closed doors within six days. It probably won't come to that, but it seems that's the rule (rather than the result standing or automatic 3-0 win to opponents) now. Several Charlton fans were told this by senior players at shirt sponsors dinner this week. FWIW.

Nixonator

Feb 8, 2016
Shoreham Beach
I am glad some people don't have short memories and I am surprised it took 18 posts for someone to say it.

And before the happy clappy brigade start up - yes we should support clubs in need. However, let's not rewrite history.

So we're holding the fans to account for something club management did circa 15 years ago?

Can't help but feel the point is entirely lost on you.

TWOCHOICEStom

Sep 22, 2007
Brighton

How hard is it for you lot banging on about this to understand the difference between the club and the fans?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here