Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Did anyone see Ch5 benefits Sussex special .

Hastings gull

Nov 23, 2013
There you go hook line and sinker. C5 could easlily churn out documentaries on people who have been screwed by the benefits system, sick and disabled people who have died or comitted suicide after being declared fit for work, carers who have been f**ked over by the bedroom tax, people who's lives have been impacted by cutbacks in social care, mental health provision etc etc I could go on....Truth is they don't because it's easier to poke fun at and demonise at some fat waster getting a few grand from the tax payer and it keeps feeds the prejudice and ignorance that these are the people responsible for the state of this country.

Are there people milking the benefits system? Sure there are. Are there hundreds of thousands? I think not. Benefit fraud makes up less than 1per cent of benefit expenditure. All the while London is being turned into the money laundering capital of the world, and corporations devise their schemes too avoid paying billions in tax.

What an unnecessary post. Of course they could have chosen to report on what you mention, and it is hardly as if we don't see programmes on those less fortunate than ourselves. I suspect that you just don't like seeing programmes such as this one. I am not sure how you can come up with such a figure, and then say hook, line and sinker to me -afterall who is going to advertise that they defraud the system?

kevo

Mar 8, 2008
People from Brighton,Crawley and Bexhill all sitting around stuffing their faces and moaning about how much they are NOT receiving in Benefits . 16 grand in some cases which apparently isn't enough.

Disgraceful !!!!

I've heard some so-called 'journalists' get paid more than that. Even more disgraceful.

Hotchilidog

Jan 24, 2009
What an unnecessary post. Of course they could have chosen to report on what you mention, and it is hardly as if we don't see programmes on those less fortunate than ourselves. I suspect that you just don't like seeing programmes such as this one. I am not sure how you can come up with such a figure, and then say hook, line and sinker to me -afterall who is going to advertise that they defraud the system?

Are you serious? You have clearly bought the tv line hook line and sinker. So what a few people defraud the system? Well that's a surprise. I couldn't care less about these people nibbling away at the public purse. I am more concerned about the rich rinsing you and me for millions and millions. The real fraud is at the top not the bottom.

pastafarian

Sep 4, 2011
Sussex
So what a few people defraud the system? Well that's a surprise. I couldn't care less about these people nibbling away at the public purse. I am more concerned about the rich rinsing you and me for millions and millions. The real fraud is at the top not the bottom.

i dont think you have to pick sides dependant on who is fleecing the most.
surely everyone should be angry about both benefit fraud and those at the top end illegally avoiding tax at the same time.

if you say im not bothered by one group nibbling away and stealing you just endorse a mentality that its ok to cheat.Im sure you wouldnt say you only want owners of bentleys chased up for having no car insurance and not bother about people with 30 year old fiestas.They all use the roads after all.

its all money gained fraudulently after all that could benefit someone else.

hitony

Administrator
Jul 13, 2005
South Wales (im not welsh !!)
I’m out of work at the moment, since my employer suddenly ceased trading without notice, and would now be what some love to term a ‘benefits scrounger’.

My benefit entitlement comes in at around £12,000 per annum, although the figures need to be broken down for a more realistic view. For after the housing element is taken off I am left with £74 a week which must also pay for any bills I have to pay. The reality is that the government assumes that between £40 and £50 a week is enough to live on for food, clothing and most other one-off expenses that occur. I know that it is an obvious struggle for many and understandably so. I need absolutely no sympathy in this myself, as for now, I can fall back on the savings I have as a result of my redundancy (although they are well below the threshold), but I will stand up for those who aren’t- especially those who I worked with who qualified for no pay-out whatsoever.

For most of those without personal resources, or supporting family, unemployment is a struggle. And under the draconian commitment to work they have to make these days (I’ve had to sign this myself) some are treated in a humiliating way. Yet the overwhelming majority don’t get ‘sanctioned’ suggesting their cases are real. It’s the obvious slackers that the rotten media love to create sensation over. But most do struggle, most do want to work, and most also struggle to meet their financial commitments.

So just because a scuzzy television channel seeks out scuzzy people to make a scuzzy show about the scuzzy situation a lot of people find themselves in, don’t assume that the majority of folk are like that. Perhaps HB&B might like to write an article about it, then I can use the word scuzzy again.

I’ve bought a £2 ticket for the beamback tomorrow and will be buying a pint. But don’t worry, I’m using my own resources for this. There is no season ticket for next year though. If I could get one of those off the state that would be splendid…

I don't think anyone has any issues with genuine cases, the problem is with people who "CHEAT" the system, claim and work etc etc (for clarity reasons, I am aware certain people can do some work and still claim certain benefits) it is the proper cheats I am on about.

In my opinion you are far from a "Benefit scrounger"

I do hope your situation improves, good luck for the future, enjoy the game later on and here's hoping we win :thumbsup:

Hastings gull

Nov 23, 2013
i dont think you have to pick sides dependant on who is fleecing the most.
surely everyone should be angry about both benefit fraud and those at the top end illegally avoiding tax at the same time.

if you say im not bothered by one group nibbling away and stealing you just endorse a mentality that its ok to cheat.Im sure you wouldnt say you only want owners of bentleys chased up for having no car insurance and not bother about people with 30 year old fiestas.They all use the roads after all.

its all money gained fraudulently after all that could benefit someone else.

Absolutely. what is annoying is when posts come on here, doing their utmost to rubbish a documentary about slobs by saying, what about the top end, so to speak. Of course all tax evasion is wrong from whatever social sphere. I often wonder whether there would be enough to go round , if only it went to the deserving cases. But this ignores human nature, of course, and if some mug is going to hand you thousands per annum for doing very little, then sadly, there will be a significant minority who will grab the chance. Those who genuinely want employment and simply can't get it are sadly tarnished with the same brush.
It also brings into question our collective attitude to paying tax . It always seems wrong when a rich person craftily avoids tax, but how many of us can really moan about the principle, when we eg pay a craftsman cash, or don't declare cash income. As my mate says -we all dodge it if we can but still expect the ambulance to be there in 8 minutes.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here