Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Did anyone see Ch5 benefits Sussex special .

Neil

Eastie
Aug 27, 2010
Langney
Saw that Bexhill woman deep frying her roast potatoes because she said it was less fattening lol
Why don't they just give them food stamps on specific foods and cut their benefits in half
moaning they have no money and spend half of it on take aways

AmexRuislip

Trainee Spy 🕵️‍♂️
Feb 2, 2014
Ruislip
All wasters the lot of them, no time for people who cannot help themselves.
Taking the piss out of tax payers.

Hotchilidog

Jan 24, 2009
What's the point of watching crap like this. Cheap tabloid tv designed to demonise those at the bottom of society while those at the top who are really robbing us blind continue to get away with it.

All systems are there to be played, but if anyone loses their job and has to resort to benefits they'll find that benefit and job seeking life is not the life of riley it's cracked up to be.

D

Deleted member 22389

People from Brighton,Crawley and Bexhill all sitting around stuffing their faces and moaning about how much they are NOT receiving in Benefits . 16 grand in some cases which apparently isn't enough.

Disgraceful !!!!

I'm working for about 2.00 per hour being self employed, and my wife was made redundant a few weeks ago. We have paid thousands in to this system over the years, but there will be nothing from the government to help us out. I'm in the process of now looking for extra work. What I have learned over the years, it doesn't matter whether it be Labour or Tories in power, the workers have always got penalised and always end up paying for the people you saw on the programme.

What we have now thou is a Tory hating agenda as well, where people cannot distinguish from lazy scroungers, because we are not allowed to say lazy scroungers anymore, and the people who really really need it, which has blurred the whole debate on benefits.

I would rip up this whole benefit system up, I would make sure ALL disabled and people with serious illness got enough, I would stop giving it away to people who have made zero contributions to the system, and reward it to the people who have made an effort. There is nothing wrong with this, its called fairness.

Joey Jo Jo Jr. Shabadoo

Waxing chumps like candles since ‘75
Oct 4, 2003
The wife is a carer and has to provide care to one of the people featured on the show. She said the flat is so bad she wears latex gloves just to make them a cup of tea.

Uncle Spielberg

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
Lancing
The single bloke who played Father Christmas came across as a nice fella. He did complain about lack of money and worry about bills after coming back from a £ 400 holiday to Tenerife though

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
I saw it. I had a certain amount of sympathy for the woman in Crawley who had been an everyday tax paying member of society until illness, but that slobby mess of a couple in Bexhill and the tattooed blob in Brighton lived up to the stereotypes.

I know thinking really isn't your forte Timmy, but didn't you stop and think what this programme was really all about? Or do you firmly believe that all people on benefits are enormous slobs in the bookies as soon as the benefits arrive and living on deep fried potatoes in lazy squalor? This was simply hackneyed car crash TV, something for tired working people to feel better about themselves when watching.

Post of the week for me. Nuanced, elegant, poignant. Nice work, sir.

AmexRuislip

Trainee Spy 🕵️‍♂️
Feb 2, 2014
Ruislip
I'm working for about 2.00 per hour being self employed, and my wife was made redundant a few weeks ago. We have paid thousands in to this system over the years, but there will be nothing from the government to help us out. I'm in the process of now looking for extra work. What I have learned over the years, it doesn't matter whether it be Labour or Tories in power, the workers have always got penalised and always end up paying for the people you saw on the programme.

What we have now thou is a Tory hating agenda as well, where people cannot distinguish from lazy scroungers, because we are not allowed to say lazy scroungers anymore, and the people who really really need it, which has blurred the whole debate on benefits.

I would rip up this whole benefit system up, I would make sure ALL disabled and people with serious illness got enough, I would stop giving it away to people who have made zero contributions to the system, and reward it to the people who have made an effort. There is nothing wrong with this, its called fairness.

My wife gave up work five years ago for health reasons, and is not claiming anything from government.
We are just living on my wage, our choice, no complaining here.

D

Deleted member 22389

My wife gave up work five years ago for health reasons, and is not claiming anything from government.
We are just living on my wage, our choice, no complaining here.

And in your case, and I understand your reasons you should be given something to help you live on for the contributions you have made.

D

Deleted member 22389

You may be right, but the word pride has a lot to do with it.

I know it's pride, I understand you reasons, but I have no problems paying in to the system knowing people like yourself get the help you need.

Hastings gull

Nov 23, 2013
What's the point of watching crap like this. Cheap tabloid tv designed to demonise those at the bottom of society while those at the top who are really robbing us blind continue to get away with it.

All systems are there to be played, but if anyone loses their job and has to resort to benefits they'll find that benefit and job seeking life is not the life of riley it's cracked up to be.[/QUOTE]

A very convenient conclusion, and doubtless true in some/many cases. What, however, galls hard-working folk, is the nauseating spectacle of slobs, and there hundreds of thousands of them, who clearly have little intention of contributing to society, and use whatever wherewithal they have to secure ever more benefits. I was behind someone in a queue the other day, who was asking the council officer, if, as a drug addict, he could have a free bus pass.

marshy68

Jul 10, 2011
Brighton
The single bloke who played Father Christmas came across as a nice fella. He did complain about lack of money and worry about bills after coming back from a £ 400 holiday to Tenerife though

Blimey I work fulltime have a 16 month old baby and my partner has decided not to go back to work and be a stay at home mum. We are skint but happy I wish I could afford a £400 holiday to Tenerife. Funny old world.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
[A very convenient conclusion, and doubtless true in some/many cases. What, however, galls hard-working folk, is the nauseating spectacle of slobs, and there hundreds of thousands of them, who clearly have little intention of contributing to society, and use whatever wherewithal they have to secure ever more benefits. I was behind someone in a queue the other day, who was asking the council officer, if, as a drug addict, he could have a free bus pass.

There are always going to be hopeless sad-acts unwilling or unable to pull their weight in society. But let's be clear, most of society is NOT galled by someone for whom life has been a one massive wasted opportunity, simply asking for a free bus pass. It would take a very special bitter kind of individual to be galled at such a situation.

The solutions to the problems of tax dodging scroungers at the top, and the true benefit scroungers at the bottom are clearly not easy ones to solve. I think they both need cross party solutions and joined up thinking of the like we have never ever seen before except in war time. Until then, we will simply get buck-passing or wishy washy drivel cooked up by people unwilling to roll their sleeves up and solve the problems.

Blimey I work fulltime have a 16 month old baby and my partner has decided not to go back to work and be a stay at home mum. We are skint but happy I wish I could afford a £400 holiday to Tenerife. Funny old world.
Just for a bit of context, it was clear that this old guy couldn't afford it either. He was down on his luck, he'd worked briefly, and decided "everybody deserves a holiday sometimes don't they?". It was an impulse purchase he couldn't afford, and he was sick with worry when reality hit.

Last edited:

AmexRuislip

Trainee Spy 🕵️‍♂️
Feb 2, 2014
Ruislip

All systems are there to be played, but if anyone loses their job and has to resort to benefits they'll find that benefit and job seeking life is not the life of riley it's cracked up to be.[/QUOTE]

A very convenient conclusion, and doubtless true in some/many cases. What, however, galls hard-working folk, is the nauseating spectacle of slobs, and there hundreds of thousands of them, who clearly have little intention of contributing to society, and use whatever wherewithal they have to secure ever more benefits. I was behind someone in a queue the other day, who was asking the council officer, if, as a drug addict, he could have a free bus pass.
My wife tried to get a job through the job centre, as this was part of the process for claiming mortgage payment, through the mortgage protection insurance.
Went to the local job centre, as per above, and as you said it is not easy.
Cut a long story short, it made her stressed even more going there, so both decided health more important, and now just living on my wage.
Adjusting is no problem :)

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
I’m out of work at the moment, since my employer suddenly ceased trading without notice, and would now be what some love to term a ‘benefits scrounger’.

My benefit entitlement comes in at around £12,000 per annum, although the figures need to be broken down for a more realistic view. For after the housing element is taken off I am left with £74 a week which must also pay for any bills I have to pay. The reality is that the government assumes that between £40 and £50 a week is enough to live on for food, clothing and most other one-off expenses that occur. I know that it is an obvious struggle for many and understandably so. I need absolutely no sympathy in this myself, as for now, I can fall back on the savings I have as a result of my redundancy (although they are well below the threshold), but I will stand up for those who aren’t- especially those who I worked with who qualified for no pay-out whatsoever.

For most of those without personal resources, or supporting family, unemployment is a struggle. And under the draconian commitment to work they have to make these days (I’ve had to sign this myself) some are treated in a humiliating way. Yet the overwhelming majority don’t get ‘sanctioned’ suggesting their cases are real. It’s the obvious slackers that the rotten media love to create sensation over. But most do struggle, most do want to work, and most also struggle to meet their financial commitments.

So just because a scuzzy television channel seeks out scuzzy people to make a scuzzy show about the scuzzy situation a lot of people find themselves in, don’t assume that the majority of folk are like that. Perhaps HB&B might like to write an article about it, then I can use the word scuzzy again.

I’ve bought a £2 ticket for the beamback tomorrow and will be buying a pint. But don’t worry, I’m using my own resources for this. There is no season ticket for next year though. If I could get one of those off the state that would be splendid…

Hotchilidog

Jan 24, 2009

There you go hook line and sinker. C5 could easlily churn out documentaries on people who have been screwed by the benefits system, sick and disabled people who have died or comitted suicide after being declared fit for work, carers who have been f**ked over by the bedroom tax, people who's lives have been impacted by cutbacks in social care, mental health provision etc etc I could go on....Truth is they don't because it's easier to poke fun at and demonise at some fat waster getting a few grand from the tax payer and it keeps feeds the prejudice and ignorance that these are the people responsible for the state of this country.

Are there people milking the benefits system? Sure there are. Are there hundreds of thousands? I think not. Benefit fraud makes up less than 1per cent of benefit expenditure. All the while London is being turned into the money laundering capital of the world, and corporations devise their schemes too avoid paying billions in tax.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here