Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Southern Rail STRIKE details

The Merry Prankster

Pactum serva
Aug 19, 2006
Shoreham Beach
because i don't believe in comic book villains. i don't suggest he isn't anti-union, only thats probably not his motivation, he wants to provide an improved service (in his view). that's plainly not happening. so this is an angle to use, to highlight in correspondence to MPs, media that this chap is responsible for passenger service and has made his career from this, is failing to deliver. saying he's out to destroy the union will be met with rolled eyes, showing he is failing in his main duty will bring pressure on him. do you see?

Why do you think he wants to provide an improved service? My guess is he wants to provide a cheaper/more profitable service and is prepared to sacrifice quality and possibly safety to achieve that.

Tony Meolas Loan Spell

Slut Faced Whores
Jul 15, 2004
Vamanos Pest
Why do you think he wants to provide an improved service? My guess is he wants to provide a cheaper/more profitable service and is prepared to sacrifice quality and possibly safety to achieve that.

Yes this seems about right. After all he only has SHAREHOLDERS to answer to.

albionite

May 20, 2009

Will come down to when this term is over they will hope for more company's bidding for next franchise without the overheads if they do the dirty now.

Hotchilidog

Jan 24, 2009
Yes this seems about right. After all he only has SHAREHOLDERS to answer to.

Yep. pretty much sums it up. They have hoovered up guaranteed cash from the government and are now intent on spending as little as possible on passengers and the service they are obliged to provide (although the constant rewriting of the remedial plan seems to make this purely optional these days).

Typical of all the privately financed public services, guaranteed money for the leeches, no incentive to perform and the tax payer picks up the tab when it all goes wrong.

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
Decent sized segment on lunchtime South East BBC TV news programme about the planned protest at Brighton station tonight, and the background to it. Timing looks perfect (6.30pm) for them to include a bit of live coverage of the protest on tonight's programme.

Ernest

Stupid IDIOT
Nov 8, 2003
LOONEY BIN
Can you tell me where you read that as, as an ex-Driver, I can think of other locations where 'out-of-gauge' issues would arise but not really South Croydon on the Down Fast line (it's a gentle curve in comparison to many other locations). I would imagine if a train were to be out-of-gauge there a train would be never passed fit to leave a depot anyway.

Shoreham always had a restriction due to gauge problems on certain stock which was banned

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
Good to see Cameron had his trains to Haywards Heath cancelled yesterday.

http://www.theargus.co.uk/news/1455...n_Southern_Railway_cancellations/?ref=mr&lp=2

'Prime Minster caught up in Southern Railway cancellations

PRIME Minister David Cameron has experienced for himself firsthand the chaos of cancellations on Southern Railway.

The Conservative party leader arrived at London’s Victoria Station to travel to Haywards Heath to take part in a meeting for the Remain campaign yesterday.

However after several cancellations, Mr Cameron was forced to travel to Haywards Heath by road.

Mr Cameron arrived very late for the event and was said to be “pretty angry”.

Mid Sussex MP Sir Nicholas Soames spoke with Transport Secretary Patrick McLoughlin in the lobby of the House of Commons last night to alert him of the Prime Minister’s situation.

Sussex MPs have been invited to the Department for Transport to speak with officials about the on-going issue of staff sickness on the Southern network on Wednesday afternoon.

According to figures published on social media, there were 511 full or part cancellations on Southern and Gatwick Express routes yesterday.

Tonight a protest against Southern is being planned at Brighton station at 6.30pm.'

Horton's halftime iceberg

Blooming Marvellous
Jan 9, 2005
Brighton
Demonstration planned tonight at Brighton Station 18.30

Claims that Southern has banned guards from working overtime in punishment for striking is being widely shared today – but Southern Rail categorically denies the claims.

But amid the accusations and counter-accusations flying around, one thing is certain – commuters are bearing the brunt of the problems.

Details of Go-Ahead’s company accounts which showed that its chief executive David Brown was paid £2.16million from July 2014 and June 2015, mostly in bonuses. The previous year he was paid £1.96million, and the year before £942,000.

The accounts also show that shareholders were paid £36.7million in dividends in 2014/15 and £34.7million in 2013/14.

https://twitter.com/southernrailout

albionite

May 20, 2009
To me it seems like a balanced article and makes some perfectly valid points.

Tell me what you think is balanced in that article and what is your experience to make them valid points.

Gtr are going to have to spend a few more £b to get to the stage where anything in that article might work on the southern coast.

Steve in Japan

NSC Patron
May 9, 2013
East of Eastbourne
Decent sized segment on lunchtime South East BBC TV news programme about the planned protest at Brighton station tonight, and the background to it. Timing looks perfect (6.30pm) for them to include a bit of live coverage of the protest on tonight's programme.

Protest at Brighton Station not covered was it? Clare Perry interviewed who described the Union's "work to rule" as the major issue facing poor old Southern, who were doing their best. I kid you not.

albionite

May 20, 2009

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here