Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Southern Rail STRIKE details

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
Wrong as the stock is run only by Southern, it is brand new fresh from the factory and ask you if Southern claim to run 60% of services DOO every day how can they only run 10% of a service on Tuesday with no

where have they said this, i've not read it in a half dozen articles on the strike. and if they have, isnt the 60% counting all the urban routes?, the 10% counting only the out of London, BML routes?

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton
Wrong as the stock is run only by Southern, it is brand new fresh from the factory and ask you if Southern claim to run 60% of services DOO every day how can they only run 10% of a service on Tuesday with no guards but managers covering them ?

More fool you if you believe anything they say.

Are you seriously suggesting that the stock that Southern runs is so so different from the stock that other train companies run that they HAVE to have a guard when those other operators don't ?

Cowfold Seagull

Fan of the 17 bus
Apr 22, 2009
Cowfold
So the second and third ones basically amount to a four days of chaos - trains screwed up from 11am on the Tuesday to 11am on the Wednesday, which will then take so long to sort out and get right (displaced trains and crew etc...) that normal service will probably take until the Thursday morning to kick in at which point it all goes tits again and screws the rest of Thursday and no doubt all of the Friday with similar post-strike disorganisation.

Utter piss-take.

Easy to understand why the union is taking this course of action though. ObviousIy it is in their, and their members interests, to cause as much chaos as possible to the travelling public, thereby putting maximum pressure on the management to back down, and accede to their demands.

I don't agree with it, but I do understand why they are going about doing it in this way.

Ernest

Stupid IDIOT
Nov 8, 2003
LOONEY BIN
Are you seriously suggesting that the stock that Southern runs is so so different from the stock that other train companies run that they HAVE to have a guard when those other operators don't ?

Next time you go out look at the railway line and and you will see a third rail, go North of London and you will see a line above the train and in other places you will see a BIG diesel train go past but I haven't got time to deal with CHILDREN today as there is a DEATH or glory football match in a couple of hours

Wrong-Direction

Mar 10, 2013
I heard all the trains are f***ed from Brighton, thanks for nothing Ernie! [emoji30] [emoji106]

Sent from my XT1032 using Tapatalk

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
Next time you go out look at the railway line and and you will see a third rail, go North of London and you will see a line above the train and in other places you will see a BIG diesel train go past but I haven't got time to deal with CHILDREN today as there is a DEATH or glory football match in a couple of hours

that would be the third rail they can turn off if there's anyone on the line? and present through out the metro area where there's no guards. if thats your only reason, its a bit weak.

there had better be some better justifications for forcing people to take 4 days off in a couple weeks time, because it will be the union and members in the line of publics fury. the unions need to learn how to play the PR game if they want to win this, because i believe they have public support for guards now, but risk losing it.

Ernest

Stupid IDIOT
Nov 8, 2003
LOONEY BIN
that would be the third rail they can turn off if there's anyone on the line? and present through out the metro area where there's no guards. if thats your only reason, its a bit weak.

there had better be some better justifications for forcing people to take 4 days off in a couple weeks time, because it will be the union and members in the line of publics fury. the unions need to learn how to play the PR game if they want to win this, because i believe they have public support for guards now, but risk losing it.

Go on the RMT site and TROLL that, football is too IMPORTANT to waste time on DULLARDS

RM-Taylor

He's Magic.... You Know
Jan 7, 2006
Are they run with driver only in other parts of the country? and if so, what is the problem doing the same on SASTA?
Most Thameslink trains between Kings Lynn/Cambridge through to Kings Cross are driver operated only. Not sure abouts Thameslink trains from Brighton

Deadly Danson

Oct 22, 2003
Brighton
Most Thameslink trains between Kings Lynn/Cambridge through to Kings Cross are driver operated only. Not sure abouts Thameslink trains from Brighton

But do YOU honestly think it's safe for there to be ONE member of train crew (the driver) for a 12 coach train? Doesn't matter what is or has been happening elsewhere - if something is inherently unsafe then one day it will prove to be the cause of a fatal accident. After every disaster everyone asks why no one saw it coming. How many football fans had "safely" stood on packed terraces before Hillsborough?

Ernest

Stupid IDIOT
Nov 8, 2003
LOONEY BIN
But do YOU honestly think it's safe for there to be ONE member of train crew (the driver) for a 12 coach train? Doesn't matter what is or has been happening elsewhere - if something is inherently unsafe then one day it will prove to be the cause of a fatal accident. After every disaster everyone asks why no one saw it coming. How many football fans had "safely" stood on packed terraces before Hillsborough?

Have you seen the letter guards got today ? Disgusting

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton

But there is no evidence it IS 'inherently' unsafe. The guards do very little on normal days and rail transport is extremely safe. Using the argument that something MIGHT happen and so that extra member of staff is needed suggests that you would think it wise of Brighton and Hove Buses to return to have an inspector on each bus.

Deadly Danson

Oct 22, 2003
Brighton
But there is no evidence it IS 'inherently' unsafe. The guards do very little on normal days and rail transport is extremely safe. Using the argument that something MIGHT happen and so that extra member of staff is needed suggests that you would think it wise of Brighton and Hove Buses to return to have an inspector on each bus.

Well I don't think it would do any harm but regardless, a bus carries about 50, a 12 coach train can hold 1000.

albionite

May 20, 2009

Why are there a Few ongoing cases going then for manslaughter

Change at Barnham

Aug 6, 2011
Bognor Regis
What is GTR? What is RMT? What is BML?
What are Southern proposing to do with the guards role?

Genuine questions, I'm not trolling. I'm just not in touch with what's happening.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here