Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Southern Rail STRIKE details

biddles911

May 12, 2014
I think you've hit the nail on the head though. I think there is a job to be done in patrolling the train, helping passengers with up to date information, reporting faults (even fixing stuff on trains where possible); helping passengers with mobility needs; and safety. I think safety is enhanced by having a guard (like cabin crew). However, most don't do that job properly, and they often alienate their passengers with their behaviour and attitude.

How ironic it is that Mick Cash talks about Unity being Strength. If SASTA staff actually tried to deliver great service and build some unity with their customers then perhaps their customers would be objecting to GTR. As it is, I'm supportive of having guards and yet I have little sympathy for the strikers and will just give a shrug if they lose.

Let's face it, hardly any of us will be hooting to support these strikers.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Interesting footnote..

My two journeys to London this week have been noticeable for much increased visibility of guards.

Ticket been checked four times (probably double the number of times checked in the whole of last year) and they've actually tried to be cheerful!

Perhaps they're reading this thread too....?!

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
So what happens when some chav is having a crafty smoke in carriage 12 of a 12 carriage train and there's no guard? Or a Japanese tourist who got on at Gatwick mistakes the 'Flush' button for the 'Emergency Stop' button? No more 'can the guard contact the driver' announcements for the guard to go and take a look and see if the train is actually on fire or there's some other emergency. Presumably the driver will have to stop the train, walk all the way back to the offending carriage and check it out himself. Or wait til the next station and then take a look. Cos there will be nobody else there to do it.

Ernest

Stupid IDIOT
Nov 8, 2003
LOONEY BIN
So what happens when some chav is having a crafty smoke in carriage 12 of a 12 carriage train and there's no guard? Or a Japanese tourist who got on at Gatwick mistakes the 'Flush' button for the 'Emergency Stop' button? No more 'can the guard contact the driver' announcements for the guard to go and take a look and see if the train is actually on fire or there's some other emergency. Presumably the driver will have to stop the train, walk all the way back to the offending carriage and check it out himself. Or wait til the next station and then take a look. Cos there will be nobody else there to do it.

He has to stop the train, secure it, advise the signalman he is leaving the cab, the signalman will then stop traffic on adjacent lines, the driver walks back to wherever the problem is, rectifies it or has to call for further assistance whilst hundreds of punters onboard FUME wishing there was a guard who would have dealt with all this whilst the train was still moving.

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
He has to stop the train, secure it, advise the signalman he is leaving the cab, the signalman will then stop traffic on adjacent lines, the driver walks back to wherever the problem is, rectifies it or has to call for further assistance whilst hundreds of punters onboard FUME wishing there was a guard who would have dealt with all this whilst the train was still moving.

... is the correct answer :thumbsup:

alfredmizen

Banned
Mar 11, 2015
spot on Tom.

Ernest

Stupid IDIOT
Nov 8, 2003
LOONEY BIN
http://www.southernrailway.com/your-journey/strike

They say 60% of trains run without guards but they are only running a 10% service with the managers being the guards for the day. Interesting that.

Exactly, I remember the last guards strike when they had managers working as guards, one locked himself in his guards van and had to be rescued. Safety will go out of the door on Tuesday in the attempt to try and break the strike.

I'm looking forward to welcoming Comrade [MENTION=6886]Bozza[/MENTION] and others to the picket line on Tuesday and if you let me know the numbers I'll ENSURE there are enough SAUSAGES to TOSS onto the BRAZIER

Deadly Danson

Oct 22, 2003
Brighton
http://www.southernrailway.com/your-journey/strike

They say 60% of trains run without guards but they are only running a 10% service with the managers being the guards for the day. Interesting that.

Isn't it just. Just a load more bollocks spin from the company. Will be interesting to see which manager cocks up first and whether they arrive at the train with the correct equipment, traction and route knowledge. I really hope the people who are most affected by these strikes - the passengers - understand that it is in their long term interests that this strike is taking place and has been caused by GTRs shoddy attitude to their passengers, their safety and their employees.

Ernest

Stupid IDIOT
Nov 8, 2003
LOONEY BIN
Isn't it just. Just a load more bollocks spin from the company. Will be interesting to see which manager cocks up first and whether they arrive at the train with the correct equipment, traction and route knowledge. I really hope the people who are most affected by these strikes - the passengers - understand that it is in their long term interests that this strike is taking place and has been caused by GTRs shoddy attitude to their passengers, their safety and their employees.

I would hope drivers will ensure that their guard is indeed fully qualified to work on that train

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Exactly, I remember the last guards strike when they had managers working as guards, one locked himself in his guards van and had to be rescued. Safety will go out of the door on Tuesday in the attempt to try and break the strike.

I'm looking forward to welcoming Comrade [MENTION=6886]Bozza[/MENTION] and others to the picket line on Tuesday and if you let me know the numbers I'll ENSURE there are enough SAUSAGES to TOSS onto the BRAZIER

Are you the TOSSER ?

See-Goals

DIIIIIIIIIIIIIVE
Aug 13, 2004
Seaford
Very rarely wade in and actually post on NSC but after 9 years + commuting from Preston Park, then Aldrington and for the last 6 years from Seaford I feel compelled to contribute...

The conductors / Guards offer very little in my opinion and experience. I haven't had my ticket checked for WEEKS, now the strike action has been confirmed I have had it checked twice each journey, I have witnessed assaults, people barfing, cardiac arrests, panic attacks etc, the guard was cowering in their little cabin retreat EVERY time, passengers and the driver have led intervention.

There are a few EXCELLENT guards on southern ( the dude with the long curly hair who looks like he should be in guns and roses one shining example) who keeps you bang up to date, can reel off connections, platform numbers etc, he and the other chosen few stand out because 95% are completely incompetent. So from a commuter who has seen my season ticket rise over £100 a year EACH YEAR for the previous 9 YEAR'S ( £900 for the mathematically challenged) I have seen the introduction of 1970's Gatwick express shit coaches that constantly breakdown, less train services in peak hours and the introduction of the 313's (or whatever their stupid name is) the old London overground trians that run from Seaford to Brighton that are largely unheated, damp, broken down and drafty.

Conductors, look at what your customers pay, look at your role in 2016 and add a pinch of reality.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Very rarely wade in and actually post on NSC but after 9 years + commuting from Preston Park, then Aldrington and for the last 6 years from Seaford I feel compelled to contribute...

The conductors / Guards offer very little in my opinion and experience. I haven't had my ticket checked for WEEKS, now the strike action has been confirmed I have had it checked twice each journey, I have witnessed assaults, people barfing, cardiac arrests, panic attacks etc, the guard was cowering in their little cabin retreat EVERY time, passengers and the driver have led intervention.

There are a few EXCELLENT guards on southern ( the dude with the long curly hair who looks like he should be in guns and roses one shining example) who keeps you bang up to date, can reel off connections, platform numbers etc, he and the other chosen few stand out because 95% are completely incompetent. So from a commuter who has seen my season ticket rise over £100 a year EACH YEAR for the previous 9 YEAR'S ( £900 for the mathematically challenged) I have seen the introduction of 1970's Gatwick express shit coaches that constantly breakdown, less train services in peak hours and the introduction of the 313's (or whatever their stupid name is) the old London overground trians that run from Seaford to Brighton that are largely unheated, damp, broken down and drafty.

Conductors, look at what your customers pay, look at your role in 2016 and add a pinch of reality.

I travel into London about 3 days a week and have been commuting for about 20 years. Can't remember the last time I had my ticket checked by a Southern staffer. Thameslink are far more rigorous and regularly check (politely and efficiently). My London days are erratic so I don't have a season ticket. A weekly with a travelcard costs me £121 from Burgess Hill, and a daily £49. The old Gatwick Express trains are rubbish - take an age to get on/off, and often break down and as you say are either freezing or stifling. Every time we get a 'timetable change' it's a 'timetable reduction'. Not sure whose fault all of this is, but we're a captive market getting a shitty product for the price.

MongoJerry

Mar 23, 2013
It'll get called off the day before as a last min offer is considered. This is how it always plays out so I'm still planning to take the train on Tue/Wed

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Titanic

Super Moderator
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
West Sussex
I understand that this stock is run with driver only in other parts of the country if correct what is the problem

The problem is that you're TROLLING when the Albion are in a DEATH or glory match

You are a SAD person

Are they run with driver only in other parts of the country? and if so, what is the problem doing the same on SASTA?

Ernest

Stupid IDIOT
Nov 8, 2003
LOONEY BIN
Are they run with driver only in other parts of the country? and if so, what is the problem doing the same on SASTA?

Wrong as the stock is run only by Southern, it is brand new fresh from the factory and ask you if Southern claim to run 60% of services DOO every day how can they only run 10% of a service on Tuesday with no guards but managers covering them ?

More fool you if you believe anything they say.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here