Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Southern Rail STRIKE details

sparkie

Jul 17, 2003
Hove
In the good old days a rail strike was always an excellent reason for a big London drink up, and sleeping under your desk in the office.

That tradition went the same way as lunchtime drinking :nono:

Deadly Danson

Oct 22, 2003
Brighton
There are no guards operating doors on the tube and this seems to manage fine with far greater passenger numbers? Why does this change suddenly become a death trap on the mainline railway?

Firstly, I would argue that it isn't as safe but I agree that it has worked comparatively safely and certainly more safely when there is a platform dispatcher to safely see the train away. Secondly, with the majority of the tube in consistent lighting it is easier for the driver to see clearly all the monitors. Outside, sunlight, rain, fog etc can all make it incredibly hard for a driver to see fuzzy monitors along the full length of a 12 coach train whilst also concentrating on signals etc. A guard around half the way down the train has the perfect view of both ends of the train as well as peripheral vision which the driver doesn't have thus being able to take into account those rushing at the last minute to try to board the train.
I would also add that there have been instances recently of disgruntled passengers taking it open themselves to force open doors and walk along tracks during major disruption risking everyone's lives. A guard is trained to safely evacuate a train.
Make no mistake this move by GTR is the precursor to removing guards from trains completely – if they are allowed to get away with these current changes, then it won't be long before trains run without guards completely. You may not always notice them but they are safety trained and could one day save your life. Would you be comfortable dealing with an emergency evacuation with live rails around you in coach 12 with only the driver up front to assist? Who would you turn to if you were assaulted on a quiet 12 coach train?
This is not about anyone's job becoming less “cushy”, it is not about money, it is not about anyone not wanting to do any more work, it's about safety and customer service.
I promise you – I couldn't be less militant but these are important principles that have to be stood up for. I do understand commuter's frustrations over these strikes but if the fight doesn't start now the service and safety of your trains will drop dramatically over the next few years and I genuinely fear a major disaster sometime in the future. And just to add, punctuality will plummet even further if that's possible – every wheelchair, every alarm, every incident will have to be investigated and dealt with by the driver who will have to shut down the cab, contact the signaller and walk potentially a quarter of a mile to the end of the train to deal with whatever is occurring blocking the whole line whilst he does this.

And all that has distracted me wonderfully from tonight's game!

Seasider78

Nov 14, 2004
Firstly, I would argue that it isn't as safe but I agree that it has worked comparatively safely and certainly more safely when there is a platform dispatcher to safely see the train away. Secondly, with the majority of the tube in consistent lighting it is easier for the driver to see clearly all the monitors. Outside, sunlight, rain, fog etc can all make it incredibly hard for a driver to see fuzzy monitors along the full length of a 12 coach train whilst also concentrating on signals etc. A guard around half the way down the train has the perfect view of both ends of the train as well as peripheral vision which the driver doesn't have thus being able to take into account those rushing at the last minute to try to board the train.
I would also add that there have been instances recently of disgruntled passengers taking it open themselves to force open doors and walk along tracks during major disruption risking everyone's lives. A guard is trained to safely evacuate a train.
Make no mistake this move by GTR is the precursor to removing guards from trains completely – if they are allowed to get away with these current changes, then it won't be long before trains run without guards completely. You may not always notice them but they are safety trained and could one day save your life. Would you be comfortable dealing with an emergency evacuation with live rails around you in coach 12 with only the driver up front to assist? Who would you turn to if you were assaulted on a quiet 12 coach train?
This is not about anyone's job becoming less “cushy”, it is not about money, it is not about anyone not wanting to do any more work, it's about safety and customer service.
I promise you – I couldn't be less militant but these are important principles that have to be stood up for. I do understand commuter's frustrations over these strikes but if the fight doesn't start now the service and safety of your trains will drop dramatically over the next few years and I genuinely fear a major disaster sometime in the future. And just to add, punctuality will plummet even further if that's possible – every wheelchair, every alarm, every incident will have to be investigated and dealt with by the driver who will have to shut down the cab, contact the signaller and walk potentially a quarter of a mile to the end of the train to deal with whatever is occurring blocking the whole line whilst he does this.

And all that has distracted me wonderfully from tonight's game!

I am struggling with the original part about fog and lighting as if you want another example of non guard operated doors then the docklands light railway also operated within guard operated doors

I get that the union thinks this is the first step to reducing guards on trains but that has not actually been confirmed has it. This is the crux of this issue the safety concerns I feel are being overplayed here as a smokescreen to get public support (which judging by the initial response on here is wearing thin)

I stand by my original point that I think the union reaction here looks excessive

That said we don't have to agree just a difference of opinion!

Now turn our attention to something we can agree on which is 3 points tonight!

sparkie

Jul 17, 2003
Hove
I've been there and been hacked off with rail strikes in the past, but looking back who cares? No one even remembers that I was late for work etc. or took time off at the time. In my opinion, lose the stress, a boss in a bad mood will soon forget it, no one will care in a few weeks except the rail workers who will still be working under the same conditions.

I support their action.

biddles911

May 12, 2014
After the OVERWHELMING ballot results strike dates are ....

SOUTHERN (GTR)
Our Ref: BR2/0146
19th April 2016
Dear Colleague
ROLE OF THE GUARD AND EXTENSION OF DOO – SOUTHERN (GTR)
Further to my previous correspondence with regards to the above matter and where I informed you of the magnificent results in the ballot for strike action and action short of a strike. First and foremost, I would like to take this opportunity to congratulate our members for returning an overwhelming Yes vote in favour of taking industrial action.
I can now advise you that your union’s National Executive Committee has again had the opportunity to consider this matter and believe that the only way to stop management introducing Driver Only Operation (DOO) that threatens your jobs, working conditions and public safety is by taking strike action.
Therefore, your union’s National Executive Committee has taken the decision to call on all our Southern (GTR) Conductor and Conductor Instructor grade members to take the following strike action:
Members are instructed not to book on for any turns of duty that commence between:
• 11.00 hours on Tuesday 26th April 2016 until 10.59 hours on Wednesday 27th April 2016
• 11.00 hours on Tuesday 10th May 2016 until 10.59 hours on Wednesday 11th May 2016
• 11.00 hours on Thursday 12th May 2016 until 10.59 hours on Friday 13th May 2016.
Once again, congratulations to all our Southern (GTR) Conductor and Conductor Instructor members for your show of strength and solidarity in this dispute.
UNITY IS STRENGTH
SUPPORT YOUR UNION – SUPPORT THE ACTION
Best wishes.
Mick Cash
General Secretary

I have been using Southern Rail for much of the past year, travelling up to London from Worthing, and can confirm that the vast majority of your guards do sod all apart from cowering away in their compartment most of the journey and making an occasional announcement.

I therefore see no downside to driver-only trains apart from saving a lot of money which can hopefully be ploughed back into improving an abysmal service or reducing fares!

Remember what happened to the print unions for much the same reason......?

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton
Southern and their staff provide a p155 poor service as it is so I doubt anyone will notice a strike. Yet governments, councils and providers shrug their shoulders when asked why people won't use public transport. One reason I decided to accept a job in Brighton at a lower salary was to ensure I didn't have to contend with the morons running and working on our railway system.

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
After the OVERWHELMING ballot results strike dates are ....

SOUTHERN (GTR)
Our Ref: BR2/0146
19th April 2016
Dear Colleague
ROLE OF THE GUARD AND EXTENSION OF DOO – SOUTHERN (GTR)
Further to my previous correspondence with regards to the above matter and where I informed you of the magnificent results in the ballot for strike action and action short of a strike. First and foremost, I would like to take this opportunity to congratulate our members for returning an overwhelming Yes vote in favour of taking industrial action.
I can now advise you that your union’s National Executive Committee has again had the opportunity to consider this matter and believe that the only way to stop management introducing Driver Only Operation (DOO) that threatens your jobs, working conditions and public safety is by taking strike action.
Therefore, your union’s National Executive Committee has taken the decision to call on all our Southern (GTR) Conductor and Conductor Instructor grade members to take the following strike action:
Members are instructed not to book on for any turns of duty that commence between:
• 11.00 hours on Tuesday 26th April 2016 until 10.59 hours on Wednesday 27th April 2016
• 11.00 hours on Tuesday 10th May 2016 until 10.59 hours on Wednesday 11th May 2016
• 11.00 hours on Thursday 12th May 2016 until 10.59 hours on Friday 13th May 2016.
Once again, congratulations to all our Southern (GTR) Conductor and Conductor Instructor members for your show of strength and solidarity in this dispute.
UNITY IS STRENGTH
SUPPORT YOUR UNION – SUPPORT THE ACTION
Best wishes.
Mick Cash
General Secretary

"Magnificent results". I thought that strikes were the very last resort and everyone hated being on strike and would do anything they could not to inconvenience the travelling public.

Maybe the comment is a tad disingenuous

Hamilton

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Brighton
I'm fully supportive of strike action to protect these jobs. I think the role of the guard is an important one.

Where SASTA staff lose all sympathy - especially from traveling commuters - is in their attitude towards their customers. Far too many of them are grumpy unhelpful toss pots who have chips on their shoulders and little regard for the traveling public. Not all of them, but more than 50% could do with a good sheep dip of customer service training.

Add to that Mick Cash's almost celebratory tone in his letter to members and you'll why most of us are left feeling aggrieved towards EVERY Southern and Thameslink member of staff. (capitals for you [MENTION=1416]Ernest[/MENTION] )

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

biddles911

May 12, 2014
I'm fully supportive of strike action to protect these jobs. I think the role of the guard is an important one.

Where SASTA staff lose all sympathy - especially from traveling commuters - is in their attitude towards their customers. Far too many of them are grumpy unhelpful toss pots who have chips on their shoulders and little regard for the traveling public. Not all of them, but more than 50% could do with a good sheep dip of customer service training.

Add to that Mick Cash's almost celebratory tone in his letter to members and you'll why most of us are left feeling aggrieved towards EVERY Southern and Thameslink member of staff. (capitals for you [MENTION=1416]Ernest[/MENTION] )

Just what do you think that guards do that's so important!?

Forget the rubbish about safety; train accidents are extremely rare and, if the tubes can manage with drivers only, as said previously, I see no reason why trains can't?

If they did the job they're employed for e.g. check tickets and patrol the train properly, I'd have a little more sympathy but they don't even do that, as I know from personal experience......

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003

agree to that. while im supportive of the objective and see no good reason to change guards to some customer role, they arent making any case for why the action is required. instead the immediate decision of the union to call out the staff for maximum inconvinence to the paying public, along with the trite rhetoric, makes my opinion shift rapidly from sympathy to when can we have automated trains?

Hamilton

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Brighton
Just what do you think that guards do that's so important!?

Forget the rubbish about safety; train accidents are extremely rare and, if the tubes can manage with drivers only, as said previously, I see no reason why trains can't?

If they did the job they're employed for e.g. check tickets and patrol the train properly, I'd have a little more sympathy but they don't even do that, as I know from personal experience......

I think you've hit the nail on the head though. I think there is a job to be done in patrolling the train, helping passengers with up to date information, reporting faults (even fixing stuff on trains where possible); helping passengers with mobility needs; and safety. I think safety is enhanced by having a guard (like cabin crew). However, most don't do that job properly, and they often alienate their passengers with their behaviour and attitude.

How ironic it is that Mick Cash talks about Unity being Strength. If SASTA staff actually tried to deliver great service and build some unity with their customers then perhaps their customers would be objecting to GTR. As it is, I'm supportive of having guards and yet I have little sympathy for the strikers and will just give a shrug if they lose.

Let's face it, hardly any of us will be hooting to support these strikers.

Hamilton

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Brighton
agree to that. while im supportive of the objective and see no good reason to change guards to some customer role, they arent making any case for why the action is required. instead the immediate decision of the union to call out the staff for maximum inconvinence to the paying public, along with the trite rhetoric, makes my opinion shift rapidly from sympathy to when can we have automated trains?

Bang on the money.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here