Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Southern Rail STRIKE details

Ernest

Stupid IDIOT
Nov 8, 2003
LOONEY BIN
RMT SOUTHERN GUARDS STRIKE "SOLID AND UNITED" ON SECOND DAY IN FIGHT FOR RAIL SAFETY
RAIL UNION RMT said today that industrial action involved hundreds of guards on Southern Rail is “solid and united” on its second day as hundreds of staff continue the fight to put safety before profits on the routes across the franchise.

The union said today that it is picking up excellent support from the general public at stations across Southern Rail as members continue to press home the message on the three core issues at the heart of the strike:

• Removal of conductors from trains

• Safety under threat

• Company putting profit before safety

On social media, members of the public are making it clear that, while no one welcomes disruption to their journeys, they recognise that the fight to retain the safety-qualified guards on Southern services is fundamental to the safety regime on the seriously over-stretched and over-crowded trains.

With commuters paying thousands of pounds a year for their annual tickets on Southern there can be no-explanation for the removal of the guards other than a central obsession in the board room for putting increased profits above public safety. That message is ringing out loud and clear as the dispute continues.

Mick Cash, RMT General Secretary, said:
“Our guards members on Southern are solid and united on the second day of action and the union welcomes the support from the travelling public as they recognise that this dispute is about defending safety critical jobs and services against the drive for cash-driven cuts that would see those services hacked to ribbons.

“Passengers are only too well aware that this is rail franchise that has already axed on-board catering services, continues to threaten ticket office and station services and is now coming for the guards who are the front line troops in the delivery of safety. All of those cuts plans are driven by one factor and that is the over-arching demand from Southern GTR to max up their financial returns.

“RMT has said right from the outset that this dispute is about safety and the safety-critical role of the guards on Southern trains. The company, with an eye on ever-fatter profits, is prepared to axe the guards on some of the most overcrowded and potentially-dangerous services in Britain so that they can squeeze every last penny out of their passengers regardless of the consequences. That is a lethal gamble with safety in the name of profit and that is why we have been forced to take strike action today.

“Southern see their passengers as nothing more than self-loading freight, there to be fleeced at every turn and every opportunity. The consequences of removing guards, the human eyes and ears on that dangerous interface between crowded platforms and crowded trains, is blindingly obvious to anyone but the rip-off merchants running this deeply unpopular rail franchise.

“RMT now expects that the strength of feeling demonstrated by our members on Southern since Tuesday morning will trigger serious and meaningful talks with the company and the lifting of the threat to jobs and safety.”

Chicken Run

Member Since Jul 2003
NSC Patron
Jul 17, 2003
Valley of Hangleton
RMT SOUTHERN GUARDS STRIKE "SOLID AND UNITED" ON SECOND DAY IN FIGHT FOR RAIL SAFETY
RAIL UNION RMT said today that industrial action involved hundreds of guards on Southern Rail is “solid and united” on its second day as hundreds of staff continue the fight to put safety before profits on the routes across the franchise.

The union said today that it is picking up excellent support from the general public at stations across Southern Rail as members continue to press home the message on the three core issues at the heart of the strike:

• Safety under threat

On social media, members of the public are making it clear that, while no one welcomes disruption to their journeys, they recognise that the fight to retain the safety-qualified guards on Southern services is fundamental to the safety regime on the seriously over-stretched and over-crowded trains.

With commuters paying thousands of pounds a year for their annual tickets on Southern there can be no-explanation for the removal of the guards other than a central obsession in the board room for putting increased profits above public safety. That message is ringing out loud and clear as the dispute continues.

Mick Cash, RMT General Secretary, said:
“Our guards members on Southern are solid and united on the second day of action and the union welcomes the support from the travelling public as they recognise that this dispute is about defending safety critical jobs and services against the drive for cash-driven cuts that would see those services hacked to ribbons.

“Passengers are only too well aware that this is rail franchise that has already axed on-board catering services, continues to threaten ticket office and station services and is now coming for the guards who are the front line troops in the delivery of safety. All of those cuts plans are driven by one factor and that is the over-arching demand from Southern GTR to max up their financial returns.

“RMT has said right from the outset that this dispute is about safety and the safety-critical role of the guards on Southern trains. The company, with an eye on ever-fatter profits, is prepared to axe the guards on some of the most overcrowded and potentially-dangerous services in Britain so that they can squeeze every last penny out of their passengers regardless of the consequences. That is a lethal gamble with safety in the name of profit and that is why we have been forced to take strike action today.

“Southern see their passengers as nothing more than self-loading freight, there to be fleeced at every turn and every opportunity. The consequences of removing guards, the human eyes and ears on that dangerous interface between crowded platforms and crowded trains, is blindingly obvious to anyone but the rip-off merchants running this deeply unpopular rail franchise.

“RMT now expects that the strength of feeling demonstrated by our members on Southern since Tuesday morning will trigger serious and meaningful talks with the company and the lifting of the threat to jobs and safety.”

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1461758391.177967.jpg great turnout, looks more like one of your imaginary ARSE protests.…

Titanic

Super Moderator
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
West Sussex
.. members continue to press home the message on the three core issues at the heart of the strike:

• Safety under threat

That looks like one issue. What are the other two?

Feb 23, 2009
Brighton factually.....
Corrected that for YOU, if you can't ADD anything CONSTRUCTIVE then don't come onto threads that don't CONCERN you

Thank you for that, just shows how immature & arrogant you are. how presumptuous of you to think it does not concern me. How on earth do want sympathy for your cause with an attitude like that, it does affect me very much. It meant my wife had to leave a silly 0'Clock to get to London this morning leaving me to deal with the child care. She will also be late back tonight because of the strike, this means I will have to leave work early to collect my daughter and she will not see her mother tonight because of the strike. I will have to make up the time to cover for me leaving early, so I think indirectly it does affect me, my daughter and definitely my wife who pays over 5k for a season ticket for a service that is disgusting and your attitude about sums up the level of ignorance & arrogance that most of your colleagues have.

Sent from my desk at work typed with my middle finger

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Thank you for that, just shows how immature & arrogant you are. how presumptuous of you to think it does not concern me. How on earth do want sympathy for your cause with an attitude like that, it does affect me very much. It meant my wife had to leave a silly 0'Clock to get to London this morning leaving me to deal with the child care. She will also be late back tonight because of the strike, this means I will have to leave work early to collect my daughter and she will not see her mother tonight because of the strike. I will have to make up the time to cover for me leaving early, so I think indirectly it does affect me, my daughter and definitely my wife who pays over 5k for a season ticket for a service that is disgusting and your attitude about sums up the level of ignorance & arrogance that most of your colleagues have.

What your post does, is show how reliant and dependent on trains your family is. Surely you want a safety and cheaper service? If the government and the train companies carry on like they are you most likely won't be able to afford the service.....or worse.

Deadly Danson

Oct 22, 2003
Brighton

Hopefully your wife never gets sick or assaulted on a train cos there will be no one to help her if GTR get their way.

Ernest

Stupid IDIOT
Nov 8, 2003
LOONEY BIN

I think you'll find YOU started with the INSULTS

Ernest

Stupid IDIOT
Nov 8, 2003
LOONEY BIN
Have a word with yourself and stop the sneering. These guys are fighting for their livelihoods. And if they win their fight, your journey into work will be all the safer for them winning. Result all round, I'd have thought.

It's surprising the attitude of some on here, they sneer and jibe at guys fighting for their jobs and livelihoods as if it is a joke or something. Either they are stinking rich Tories who would never set foot on public transport or use an NHS hospital, extremely stupid or just trolling

I wonder which ?

sparkie

Jul 17, 2003
Hove
How anyone can support reducing staff levels on the railway just so faceless shareholders can make more money is beyond me. Savings will not go on reducing ticket prices.

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
It's surprising the attitude of some on here, they sneer and jibe at guys fighting for their jobs and livelihoods as if it is a joke or something. Either they are stinking rich Tories who would never set foot on public transport or use an NHS hospital, extremely stupid or just trolling

I wonder which ?

It's just knee-jerk stupidity and selfishness. Until it's their own livelihood that is being sold down the river to service shareholder/owner greed. Just check out some of the BHS headlines of recent days to see how the current and previous owners of BHS have been feathering their own nests WAY beyond anything that is reasonable to ANYONE, let alone the near-minimum-wage workers responsible for generating that snouts-in-the-trough payday. Workers are just so much cannon-fodder to the current regime, even though it's only their dumb compliance and refusal to stand up to their greedhead employers that keeps this whole circus running. Said it bevfore, say it again: wouldn't happen in France.

Deadly Danson

Oct 22, 2003
Brighton
How anyone can support reducing staff levels on the railway just so faceless shareholders can make more money is beyond me. Savings will not go on reducing ticket prices.

It does seem extraordinary that some on here are so short sighted and believe that having less people on the trains and in the stations will somehow make their journey better, cheaper and safer.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here