Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Southern Rail STRIKE details

Neville's Breakfast

May 1, 2016
Oxton, Birkenhead
Although at lunchtime I collected my wad of tickets to get to Derby, first 12 printed out but there was then a printer error so it didn't print the last four (there are only two of us travelling!!) so I had to go to the ticket office and he printed out the other four tickets.

I agree the system as it stands is flawed as occasionally inadequate ticket machines have the ticket office as a back up. Presumably if ticket offices are to be phased out the technology that replaces them will improve. At present if the ticket machine is broken then pre paid tickets can only be collected in a ticket office. If instead on board guards could print out pre paid tickets then the system would work well. I cant see how it would be possible to phase out offices and guards as we need one or the other. Enjoy Derby and hope you don't have too much railway hassle getting there ! I shall be listening via the internet from Cromer beach.

DFL JCL

Jan 8, 2016
train home yesterday from city thameslink reduced to 4 carriages absolutely packed. Whilst all the problems at London Bridge are ongoing. With the reduced service they are currently running you would think that there would be plenty of of spare carriages knocking around to ensure all services were at least 8 carriages.

smeg

Feb 11, 2013
BN13
I was fairly lucky, got the Littlehampton train at 5:30pm but standing room only until Hove and a lot of unhappy people at Clapham & Croydon who could just watch on the platform because it was so packed........ next week should be fun :nono:

Deadly Danson

Oct 22, 2003
Brighton
That's quite clearly not what I said.

Don't forget the RMT have made what I think is a very reasonable offer to postpone any action for 3 months to allow for meaningful talks. I think your ire should be directed at GTR and the government for saying they are going to push ahead with hugely unpopular and unnecessary changes regardless. It's no coincidence that just about every different worker for GTR is either going on strike or is to be balloted.

Not Andy Naylor

Dec 12, 2007
Seven Dials
Nothing I've seen, read or heard from the train companies suggests that they want the strike sorted. It just helps them divest themselves of a very troublesome franchise, which is what they want. But the government doesn't, because it will mean that their precious privatisation model has failed again as it did with the East Coast line.

Frutos

Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
May 3, 2006
Northumberland
Don't forget the RMT have made what I think is a very reasonable offer to postpone any action for 3 months to allow for meaningful talks. I think your ire should be directed at GTR and the government for saying they are going to push ahead with hugely unpopular and unnecessary changes regardless. It's no coincidence that just about every different worker for GTR is either going on strike or is to be balloted.

May I ask a question - if, as I entirely agree seems to be the case, GTR are such an appalling company to work for, why do you still choose to work for them?

Please understand that I am not trying to cause an argument, I'm just genuinely curious.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex

GTR have been talking though, haven't they? Who decided those talks weren't "meaningful" and why?

(Note: you can't decide if the talks weren't meaningful after the event if you didn't get your way)

Deadly Danson

Oct 22, 2003
Brighton
May I ask a question - if, as I entirely agree seems to be the case, GTR are such an appalling company to work for, why do you still choose to work for them?

Please understand that I am not trying to cause an argument, I'm just genuinely curious.

Because for the first 7 or so years I have been with them they were absolutely fine, it's like the devil has taken hold of them (or the DFT) in the last year, in spite of everything I really enjoy the job, it pays well and there is nothing else I'd rather do if I have to work. Unless I relocate there are no other train companies to drive for plus my local managers are actually fine - it's the ridiculous decisions taken above them that has called this whole problem. And again, I'm not arguing for more money or to do less work or because of the risk of more work, I genuinely believe the decisions taken now will affect the safety of the railway for many years to come.

DFL JCL

Jan 8, 2016
I think it's pretty clear from my post that the fact that they've called a one week strike is the cause.

I'm not sure what other options they as a union are left with to be honest. What i find frustrating about this is that this industrial action is masking what is fundamentally a failing franchise.

Frutos

Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
May 3, 2006
Northumberland
Because for the first 7 or so years I have been with them they were absolutely fine, it's like the devil has taken hold of them (or the DFT) in the last year, in spite of everything I really enjoy the job, it pays well and there is nothing else I'd rather do if I have to work. Unless I relocate there are no other train companies to drive for plus my local managers are actually fine - it's the ridiculous decisions taken above them that has called this whole problem. And again, I'm not arguing for more money or to do less work or because of the risk of more work, I genuinely believe the decisions taken now will affect the safety of the railway for many years to come.

Fair enough. :thumbsup:

What would/will happen, in your opinion, if SASTA/GTR/DFT decide simply to push through these changes and to hell with the consequences? Can the RMT or whoever else actually stop them, as an employer, making the changes if they are so hellbent on them?

Deadly Danson

Oct 22, 2003
Brighton
GTR have been talking though, haven't they? Who decided those talks weren't "meaningful" and why?

(Note: you can't decide if the talks weren't meaningful after the event if you didn't get your way)

I'm not party to the talks due to Acas restrictions but I would say there is more chance of success with prolonged talks rather than "emergency" talks to try and prevent a strike. I haven't seen or heard one single conciliatory word from GTR other than 'we are pressing ahead with our proposals regardless' and from all accounts there hasn't been one unlike say Scotrail where they have at least made the RMT an offer that they can consider. I'm led to believe, although i don't know the details that RMT are actually prepared to move a little but I appreciate that you only have my word for that.

Deadly Danson

Oct 22, 2003
Brighton
Fair enough. :thumbsup:

What would/will happen, in your opinion, if SASTA/GTR/DFT decide simply to push through these changes and to hell with the consequences? Can the RMT or whoever else actually stop them, as an employer, making the changes if they are so hellbent on them?

I honestly don't know. The recent court case against Aslef has made it very difficult for drivers to go on strike which could be a very quick way out of this as there will be pretty much no trains if this happens and that isn't sustainable. Ultimately I guess the changes would come in and we would have to lump it but I really don't know.

Behind Enemy Lines

Jul 18, 2003
London
Lost all sympathy for union here. One week strike. Indefensible.
As much as it is highly inconvenient I'm afraid it's Southern Rail which is "indefensible." You don't see such long running disputes involving many other train companies do you? That's because Southern is an extremely poorly run company which treats its own staff and customers with utter contempt and is clearly not up to the job of running a decent train service. And presided over by a hapless department of transport. If ever there was a case for Government intervention it is this.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
Don't forget the RMT have made what I think is a very reasonable offer to postpone any action for 3 months to allow for meaningful talks.

what concessions are they offering to talk about? as much as GTR isnt budging, so the position of the RMT is entrenched.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here