Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Southern Rail STRIKE details

Papa Lazarou

Living in a De Zerbi wonderland
Jul 7, 2003
Worthing
No it's a coin toss. But it is democracy and whether it was 50.1% against 49.9% we've got to accept the vote.

On that....all of you on the left who will no doubt be delighted about the result please do bare that in mind next time you have a Brexit/Anti Trump tirade. Democracy works both ways regardless if your side is successful or not.

But this vote wasn't to go back on strike, it was to accept (or not) the offer on the table. The result does not appear strong enough to automatically trigger a resumption of strikes, in my view.

Diablo

NSC Patreon
Sep 22, 2014
lewes
But this vote wasn't to go back on strike, it was to accept (or not) the offer on the table. The result does not appear strong enough to automatically trigger a resumption of strikes, in my view.

Hope for Commuters sake you are right....However lets wait and see what some of the more militant among NSC have to say !!

Ernest

Stupid IDIOT
Nov 8, 2003
LOONEY BIN

Deal rejected the mandate for industrial action is still there. Will be interesting if they now call another strike after the 7 day notice period

Arthur

Jul 8, 2003
Buxted Harbour

I don't think they ever stopped, underlined, emboldened the strikes did they? Just said they'd have a break whilst they consulted their members (something the RMT should have done when the £2k "bribe" was on the table). Their members have spoken and whilst its disappointing we've got to accept it.

As I've said before on this thread the strikes are what they are. If they re-instate the overtime ban then that is more of a kick in the balls for me personally.

happypig

Staring at the rude boys
May 23, 2009
Eastbourne
and once again where is Grayling ?

I'm puzzled by his lack of input. The cynic in me says that his plan was to try and get Southern to break one of the unions but if it all went wrong to step in, strip the franchise and keep the status quo (for the time being). However that assumes a Machiavellian intellect that appears beyond him; I think he's just a bumbling fool completely out of his depth.

theboybilly

Would it not have been cheaper and quicker by now if Southern had just invested in modern self driving stock?

I think you need to realise how the railway works. Driving trains really isn't just about moving a lever forwards and backwards...or pushing a button or two. If it were they wouldn't pay Eurostar drivers £80k a year (and I'm not sure if even they control the doors)

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
I am pretty certain we have the technology to drive trains more efficiently than by using humans to do it.

we do. irony of this whole issue is in a generation we'll have no driver and revert to a guard as the single safety trained person (assuming they dont do away with that role entirely). remember DLR is already fully automated and Victoria only have drivers due to union pressure. when cars are near-autonomous in the varied road environment, manually controlled rail with its limited environment looks outdated.

sparkie

Jul 17, 2003
Hove
Would it not have been cheaper and quicker by now if Southern had just invested in modern self driving stock?
To be honest there is no way I'd get on a driverless train that was running on the london to brighton line if they suddenly introduced them.

I'd expect a gradual roll out starting with routes that are a lot less busy, and for them not to be running driverless at peak rush hour for a few years !!

Ernest

Stupid IDIOT
Nov 8, 2003
LOONEY BIN
Hope the members will take a long hard look at the ASLEF top brass who took a whole two weeks to sell their members down the river. How long does it take to wave a white flag?

It was amazing that the top brass of Aslef said it guaranteed a SECOND person on EVERY train then the exception list was a mile long with the times a second person wouldn't be on the train, shameful that Whelan and Weller sold the deal as a breakthrough when it was worse than anything proposed before

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
Do you realise how much it would cost to buy the trains and update the technology on the Brighton mainline to run driverless trains ?It would be cheaper to give everyone a new car instead

touche, applies to the current cost of rail too.

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
It was amazing that the top brass of Aslef said it guaranteed a SECOND person on EVERY train then the exception list was a mile long with the times a second person wouldn't be on the train, shameful that Whelan and Weller sold the deal as a breakthrough when it was worse than anything proposed before

Yup, utterly ridiculous, and the vote result was a foregone conclusion. Whatever were the ASLEF reps THINKING when they came away from that waste of time fortnight? How on earth could they have worked themselves up into a state of mind whereby they thought their members might possibly go for such a non-deal? ???

Papa Lazarou

Jul 7, 2003
Worthing
Hope the members will take a long hard look at the ASLEF top brass who took a whole two weeks to sell their members down the river. How long does it take to wave a white flag?

It's hardly been shown as waving the white flag with such a close vote, surely? Sounds pretty close to a doable deal.

Papa Lazarou

Jul 7, 2003
Worthing
Giving everyone a car would not be more efficient would it? Southern make billions, they can and should be pushing the improvement of the technology. You could run more trains closer together more passengers no, or hugely reduced, delays, I would suspect that, long term, it would be cheaper.

I think Southern make a small profit if one at all. GTR make a big profit, but not from Southern.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here