Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Southern Rail STRIKE details

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
Different excuse this morning and one of their favourites "......this is due to a person being taken ill on board". It's almost as if they can justify their ineptness and the next strike is needed. :rant:

I would imagine the current stress of travelling on SASTA is leading a large number of people to increased blood pressure and possible coronary, not to mention the psychological damage being inflicted on anyone forced into having to use this shitty excuse for a service on a daily basis. If you read the recent eye witness reports, there's more and more frequently a reference to a besuited city type 'losing it'. And for a heavily pregnant woman to be using this 'service' at this time must carry a very real risk to the mother and unborn child. This is the reality of the 'collateral damage' being caused by these bastids in the pursuit of profit through sheer naked greed.

Last edited:

Arthur

Jul 8, 2003
Buxted Harbour
The lighting on the platforms has to be a recognised standard as has platform heights and other restrictions for DOO to be cleared, it won't be on the Uckfield line anytime soon. One of the few Southern lines that is booked to retain Guards under the DOO proposals

Typical. Once again the forgotten line.

Deadly Danson

Oct 22, 2003
Brighton
Good to see GTR are so committed to talks to try and resolve this dispute.....

To all GTR Southern Conductors

Dear Colleagues,
GTR Southern Dispute Update – Previous Correspondence on Proposed Meeting
I write to advise you that the meeting outlined in my previous communication dated 20th July 2016 (see email below) has not taken place today as outlined.
The company sought this meeting and confirmed the date to me on the 19th July but did not indicate a time and location for the meeting.
Despite numerous requests by email the company did not respond and failed to make the necessary arrangements. This is particularly galling since they did not even display sufficient decency to cancel the meeting but instead chose to ignore all of my communications.
I cannot say at this point what the next step will be and in truth I now expect such behaviour from Southern GTR, a company that routinely misleads the public on staff sickness, claiming this is industrial action, regardless of the unpleasant consequences of customers abusing conductors.
I am sorry I have nothing more positive to convey to you and I will keep you updated on any developments on this matter as soon as possible.
Yours sincerely

Paul Cox
Regional Organiser

Taybha

Whalewhine
Oct 8, 2008
Uwantsumorwat
Good to see GTR are so committed to talks to try and resolve this dispute.....

To all GTR Southern Conductors

Dear Colleagues,
GTR Southern Dispute Update – Previous Correspondence on Proposed Meeting
I write to advise you that the meeting outlined in my previous communication dated 20th July 2016 (see email below) has not taken place today as outlined.
The company sought this meeting and confirmed the date to me on the 19th July but did not indicate a time and location for the meeting.
Despite numerous requests by email the company did not respond and failed to make the necessary arrangements. This is particularly galling since they did not even display sufficient decency to cancel the meeting but instead chose to ignore all of my communications.
I cannot say at this point what the next step will be and in truth I now expect such behaviour from Southern GTR, a company that routinely misleads the public on staff sickness, claiming this is industrial action, regardless of the unpleasant consequences of customers abusing conductors.
I am sorry I have nothing more positive to convey to you and I will keep you updated on any developments on this matter as soon as possible.
Yours sincerely

Paul Cox
Regional Organiser

That is truly astounding

pasty

A different kind of pasty
Jul 5, 2003
West, West, West Sussex
Anyone aware of some some kind of fisticuffs on a train at Gatwick this evening? I was on the 1800 GE from Victoria and we stayed at Gatwick for quite a while and a rumour went round the carriage there was a scrap on a train on the other platform? Quite why that would stop us leaving I have no idea :shrug:

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
Only 7 minutes late home tonight so assume that is counted as on time

Hornblower

Jul 7, 2003
Anyone aware of some some kind of fisticuffs on a train at Gatwick this evening? I was on the 1800 GE from Victoria and we stayed at Gatwick for quite a while and a rumour went round the carriage there was a scrap on a train on the other platform? Quite why that would stop us leaving I have no idea :shrug:

Yes, I was on the 17.57 from Victoria and just before we got to Gatwick two very young girls, clearly the worse for wear, staggered down the gap between the seats shouting and laughing and dropping bottles. When the train arrived at Gatwick the guard tried to evict them and they became very loud and abusive and (possibly) violent. The train then stayed where it was for ten minutes before we were all told to disembark and join a train on the other platform to get to Haywards Heath. Is the train service so fragile that a couple of lairy lasses can cause a decommission?

Incidentally, I went to Birmingham today from Euston on Virgin - what a treat, £30 for a first class ticket (purchased in advance) full English breakfast, lovely seat and arriving bang on time. The trip back from Brum to Euston took less time that my journey from Victoria to Haywards Heath.

When will the misery end?

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Yes, I was on the 17.57 from Victoria and just before we got to Gatwick two very young girls, clearly the worse for wear, staggered down the gap between the seats shouting and laughing and dropping bottles. When the train arrived at Gatwick the guard tried to evict them and they became very loud and abusive and (possibly) violent. The train then stayed where it was for ten minutes before we were all told to disembark and join a train on the other platform to get to Haywards Heath. Is the train service so fragile that a couple of lairy lasses can cause a decommission?

Incidentally, I went to Birmingham today from Euston on Virgin - what a treat, £30 for a first class ticket (purchased in advance) full English breakfast, lovely seat and arriving bang on time. The trip back from Brum to Euston took less time that my journey from Victoria to Haywards Heath.

When will the misery end?

End ? Going to get WORSE

http://www.standard.co.uk/news/tran...nions-threaten-major-new-strike-a3305296.html

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location

Rod Marsh

Aug 9, 2013
Sussex
Southern Railway conductors announce plans for a FIVE day strike

http://www.theargus.co.uk/news/1464...ductors_announce_plans_for_a_FIVE_day_strike/

I have now permanently given up on my £5000 a year season ticket... and will now travel to London Bridge for work as few times as possible.

I gave up using the train 4 years ago. I now work from home two days a week and drive to london the other three. Diesel costs me £45 a week. It's a bargain compared to the trains.

Seagull1989

Oct 31, 2011
Colchester and Forest games will be interesting then . Can imagine Colchester attendance could set a record low at the Amex and with the Forest game being on TV some people might not bother

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
Maybe there's a case now for getting the Forest game moved back to its original date on Saturday...

Herne Hill Seagull

Jul 10, 2003
Galicia
Absolutely no chance I'll make Forest now. Midweek games are touch and go as it is from work in London, that's just ended it. Now going to miss Colchester, Forest and Rotherham, all right at the start of the season, as well as not being able to get to Newcastle because the kick off's too late to get to where I've got to be that evening now.

This only adds to an already unexcited feeling about the new season as it is. Cheers, Sky. Cheers, Southern. FFS.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
You seem to be under a misapprehension that Sky give 2 shits about supporters attending games.

I was under the impression that a club could appeal a game *not* to be shown if there are valid underlying reasons why the game shouldn't be switched.

You're right though, it'd probably fall on deaf ears, and Barber won't want to lose the extra bunce from the Sky cameras anyway.

Arthur

Jul 8, 2003
Buxted Harbour
That is just ****ing ridiculous. How to lose public support in one easy lesson.

Do you know what....I totally disagree. I'm firmly in the camp of "I don't care how it gets sorted...JUST ****ING GET IT SORTED". Neither side prepared to budge so one side or another needed to make a move. As I said yesterday if it's Southern then they just need to get on with it. This is clearly a huge move by the union but good luck to them.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here