Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Southern Rail STRIKE details

theboybilly

I was hearing you loud and clear and my point still stands. Safety didn't come in to it 20 years ago when they were having their palms crossed with silver. Now they aren't and all of sudden the guard is a safety critical member of staff.

I have a few ex-Conductor mates who were not happy when their roles changed on the Gatwick Express I can tell you. They became purely revenue collectors (and lost their very lucrative 5% sales bonus in the process when the 'clean salary' came in) They were also required to clean the train when turning around at Gatwick too. I got a lot of stick over that. As I said in my earlier post in this thread, I don't agree with DOO working and always felt more secure when I had another 'safety trained' member of staff behind me. But for me this was a battle that should have been fought harder 20-30 years ago.

Ernest

Stupid IDIOT
Nov 8, 2003
LOONEY BIN
I have a few ex-Conductor mates who were not happy when their roles changed on the Gatwick Express I can tell you. They became purely revenue collectors (and lost their very lucrative 5% sales bonus in the process when the 'clean salary' came in) They were also required to clean the train when turning around at Gatwick too. I got a lot of stick over that. As I said in my earlier post in this thread, I don't agree with DOO working and always felt more secure when I had another 'safety trained' member of staff behind me. But for me this was a battle that should have been fought harder 20-30 years ago.

It was still BR then and a different world

yxee

Oct 24, 2011
Manchester
I have sympathy for everyone that has to use southern rail or works for the company. I'm starting to feel ASLEF have fvcked the RMT over somewhat and as most of the guards have signed the new contracts it isn't looking good for anyone IMHO

Can you elaborate? On the aslef v RMT point

theboybilly

If this were the case, why do short haul flights still have Cabin Crew? (As was posted earlier comparing the safety role of them by a Driver that someone had copied from Facebook).

The cabin crew are their just as much to assist in an emergency as the guard/conductor/OBS/Whatever you want to call them, and there are more incidents per year on trains in the UK than there are on flights Worldwide.

I didn't see that post but what I wouldn't do is compare the emergency role of a Conductor or Guard with that of Cabin Crew no more than I would compare a driving a bus with driving a train. Airlines operate to different rules as does the railway and road vehicles.

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patreon
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton
Hysterical OVERREACTION #stupididiot

You're suggesting that the RMT & ASLEF haven't picked dates over Christmas and Nov 5th because they will cause the most disruption to their CUSTOMERS ? #couldntgiveamonkeysaboutcustomers

Last edited:

grummitts gloves

Dec 30, 2008
West Sussex, la,la,la
Too many peoples lives are being seriously disrupted by all this now. Careers, families suffering. The damage it's causing isn't fair and IMHO far outweighs any beef Southern employees have. It's got to stop.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
Too many peoples lives are being seriously disrupted by all this now. Careers, families suffering. The damage it's causing isn't fair and IMHO far outweighs any beef Southern employees have. It's got to stop.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Agree 100%. I've lost all sympathy with any of them now. It's the southern staff that will lose out anyway

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patreon
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton
If it was a simple dispute about DOO it would have been settled months ago, the RMT deal was scuppered by the DfT as they want to break RMT and the ASLEF so unless they back down then this will drag on and on . The unions and their supporters have sufficient war chests to last a lot longer yet , so Wilkinson may well get his THREE or four year WAR

And in one short post you've shown this is nothing to to with safety and everything to do with union power. Unions vs The Government ..... and neither give a toss about the customer.

yxee

Oct 24, 2011
Manchester
Agree 100%. I've lost all sympathy with any of them now. It's the southern staff that will lose out anyway

Hopefully that week in January will be a decent dent in their pay. Meanwhile my consolation is £60 delay repay and working from home. It's hurting them more than us, that's some consolation.

Bring on driverless trains... they are certainly raising the question in my opinion. No industry in history has s aved itself from technological progress by striking alone.

ROSM

Dec 26, 2005
Just far enough away from LDC
Hopefully that week in January will be a decent dent in their pay. Meanwhile my consolation is £60 delay repay and working from home. It's hurting them more than us, that's some consolation.

Bring on driverless trains... they are certainly raising the question in my opinion. No industry in history has s aved itself from technological progress by striking alone.

As a passenger I have no issue with technological progress.

I rate the electrostar trains highly. The Aircon is good and seats comfortable and I prefer them to slam door

But to replace a person it needs to do the job as well if not better than the person. At this stage I don't believe the technology gives that level of comfort.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
Ask Peter Wilkinson not me

no im asking you as the RMT rep here. i know you dont have an answer, because it wouldnt break the union, the dispute would be over and we'd be back to just having to contend with SASTA normal, poor service.

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
Blimey.. [MENTION=26439]Brightons[/MENTION]tation on twatter just posted the strike days for December and January....not that far off closing the network down for 2 months!

gripper stebson

Jul 27, 2004
Blimey
53ac8cd5ef684f666114107ccf53b472.jpg

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Tapatalk

Feb 23, 2009
Brighton factually.....
Blimey
53ac8cd5ef684f666114107ccf53b472.jpg

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Tapatalk

They really are a bunch of c***s aren't they, the unions say they care about the travelling public and they are doing it for them....

So why are they striking like this, we know why maximum effect but their using the fare paying public as a commodity for their own ends. They are no better than the government or franchise that run this bollox, I wonder how many people could actually lose their jobs because of these strikes. I am sorry I have no sympathy for the unions now....

I hate them, they have ruined our family life for neigh on a year and it's gonna get worse....

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
They really are a bunch of c***s aren't they, the unions say they care about the travelling public and they are doing it for them....

So why are they striking like this, we know why maximum effect but their using the fare paying public as a commodity for their own ends. They are no better than the government or franchise that run this bollox, I wonder how many people could actually lose their jobs because of these strikes. I am sorry I have no sympathy for the unions now....

I hate them, they have ruined our family life for neigh on a year and it's gonna get worse....

Southern actually win don't they? They save on striking employee wages, whilst not missing out on revenue ?!

Carrot Cruncher

NHS Slave
Helpful Moderator
Jul 30, 2003
Southampton, United Kingdom
It's been widely recognised that the RMT strikes are about as effective as a marzipan dildo, so if Aslef really cared and were trying to win hearts and minds, then they could have stood with their RMT 'brothers' and striked on the same days. This would have had the double effect of actually making the RMT strikes effective and caused minimal additional pain to passengers.

Carrot Cruncher

NHS Slave
Helpful Moderator
Jul 30, 2003
Southampton, United Kingdom
I think you must be MISTAKING me for somebody else. I'm just a concerned member of the public who WISHES to travel on a SAFE railway

If you were a normal travelling member of the public, right now you wouldn't give a shit about safety and would only care that there was a train running. F*** it, I'd get on a train driven by Ian Brady and has Myra Hindley as the OBS if it meant it actually ran.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here