Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Southern Rail STRIKE details

albionite

May 20, 2009
Southern strike dates

28 Nov 2016
ASLEF’s executive committee has called strikes on Southern Railways after members voted overwhelmingly for industrial action in a trade dispute over the company’s decision to force through driver only operation on the franchise. Drivers will strike on:
Tuesday 13 and Wednesday 14 December
Friday 16 December
Monday 9 to Saturday 14 January

In addition, drivers will not work any non-contractual work from Tuesday 6 December.‘We have done our level best to try and reach a sensible, workable compromise with Southern in the interests of passengers as well as staff,’ said general secretary Mick Whelan. ‘We have always been happy to talk to the company, and we have always believed it is, or should be, possible to do a deal – as we did with ScotRail in Scotland –* but it takes two to tango and the company has not been prepared to negotiate. The company – and I see the DfT’s fingerprints all over this dispute, it’s as if the DfT is the ventriloquist and Southern the ventroliquist’s dummy – doesn’t want to talk, it wants to bully; it doesn’t want to discuss, it wants to impose. Because it doesn’t care about passenger safety, only about profits for shareholders.’

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
Because a strike more likely to resolve the issues than action other than

not on the current evidence. and if as you believe there is a conspiracy to use this dispute to break the unions, they are simply playing in to the hands of that plan. public awareness of issue and possible consequences might be a better approach, i know its a bit innovative for unions, but they'll need to change one day why not this day?

Ernest

Stupid IDIOT
Nov 8, 2003
LOONEY BIN
not on the current evidence. and if as you believe there is a conspiracy to use this dispute to break the unions, they are simply playing in to the hands of that plan. public awareness of issue and possible consequences might be a better approach, i know its a bit innovative for unions, but they'll need to change one day why not this day?

No , it's time to settle this once and for all

beorhthelm

Jul 21, 2003
In addition, drivers will not work any non-contractual work from Tuesday 6 December.‘We have done our level best to try and reach a sensible, workable compromise with Southern in the interests of passengers as well as staff,’ said general secretary Mick Whelan. ‘We have always been happy to talk to the company, and we have always believed it is, or should be, possible to do a deal – as we did with ScotRail in Scotland –* but it takes two to tango and the company has not been prepared to negotiate. The company – and I see the DfT’s fingerprints all over this dispute, it’s as if the DfT is the ventriloquist and Southern the ventroliquist’s dummy – doesn’t want to talk, it wants to bully; it doesn’t want to discuss, it wants to impose. Because it doesn’t care about passenger safety, only about profits for shareholders.’

* and Southern Metro lines, and Thameslink, Gatwick express, Southeastern, C2C, GWR.

why now?

beorhthelm

Jul 21, 2003
Are you a commuter or regular train catcher ?

yes thank you, veteran of using Southern and Thameslink for over 10 years. and there wasn't a peep about DOO until this year.

Gazwag

5 millionth post poster
Mar 4, 2004
Bexhill-on-Sea
Correction: you've just bought very expensive bookmarks.

Looks like it, for some reason the Preston train is one of the most expensive journeys of the season and Virgin, despite knowing how to run and railway properly, will not give a monkey's about refunding tickets because of the southern ***** on strike, still I can get my Polegate to London money back again whoopee #bigger*****thansky

Ernest

Stupid IDIOT
Nov 8, 2003
LOONEY BIN
Looks like it, for some reason the Preston train is one of the most expensive journeys of the season and Virgin, despite knowing how to run and railway properly, will not give a monkey's about refunding tickets because of the southern ***** on strike, still I can get my Polegate to London money back again whoopee #bigger*****thansky

Are Virgin trains on strike then ?

albionite

May 20, 2009

If there is a will there is a way.
Thameslink will still be running up to London from Brighton. Do they have enough drivers to run all their trains is a different matter.

Papa Lazarou

Living in a De Zerbi wonderland
Jul 7, 2003
Worthing
http://www.aslef.org.uk/information/100012/163034/southern_strike_dates/

Southern strike dates

28 Nov 2016

ASLEF’s executive committee has called strikes on Southern Railways after members voted overwhelmingly for industrial action in a trade dispute over the company’s decision to force through driver only operation on the franchise. Drivers will strike on:

Tuesday 13 and Wednesday 14 December
Friday 16 December
Monday 9 to Saturday 14 January

ManOfSussex

We wunt be druv
Apr 11, 2016
Rape of Hastings, Sussex

Can't you just get a Southeastern train from Warrior Square instead?

Tony Meolas Loan Spell

Slut Faced Whores
Jul 15, 2004
Vamanos Pest
And unfortunately all SASTA's own fault for imposing such a stupid rule. Instead of a member of crew only being self signed for one day's leave, they end up loosing them for a whole week.

Nah. Its actually a good rule. Whats supposed to happen is that its genuine sickness and not the one day here and there. Sadly the militants will go the whole hog of seven days. knowing that one day of sniffles wont cut it.

What SHOULD happen is no sick payment and then they have to claim off the government, as some companies do. Especially when excessive. You will notice people think long and hard about going sick.

Believe you me if you are stressed and I mean really, truly, truly stressed you are not off for a day here or there.

Gazwag

5 millionth post poster
Mar 4, 2004
Bexhill-on-Sea
Can't you just get a Southeastern train from Warrior Square instead?

Rail Replacement Buses, poor connection times and more expensive already looked at that option after Southern nearly stopped me from getting to Wigan last month. Going to have to look again and hope their drivers don't go out in sympathy.

pearl

May 3, 2016
Behind My Eyes

I'd wait a while if I was you

Papa Lazarou

Living in a De Zerbi wonderland
Jul 7, 2003
Worthing
By the way - the 17:40 from London Bridge has been cancelled.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here