Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Southern Rail STRIKE details

clapham_gull

Legacy Fan
Aug 20, 2003
Nothing to do with the strike and Clapham Junction was chaos on Friday. They seem to have given up telling people trains are being cancelled.

You wait for it to drop off the board.

Irrespective of the actual reasons the staff Iare striking if it does ANYTHING to ensure the franchise (well lets start with a franchise) is given to somebody else, I'm 100 behind it.

.. and yes it causes me inconvenience too..

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Right across the SASTA region, people have been extra productive today:

1. Log on extra early to illustrate the benefits of not having a long commute.
2. Home laptop/tablet set up alongside the work laptop.
3. Use home laptop/tablet for all the stuff you really want to do, whilst:
4. Remembering to tap the touchpad of the work laptop at least every 10 minutes in order to stop the screensaver kicking in, and to ensure you don't show as "away" on the company instant messenger thingummy.
5. "Work" beyond the time you would if you were in the office. Once again, the benefit of not having to dash for a train.

6. Bonus points for finding the time for a cheeky daytime ****. Remember to use 'home laptop' for this.
7. Even more bonus points if you don't have the house to yourself for 6.

Good list. Would add :

8. Have a very serious conference call at 8am with someone very senior whilst only wearing boxer shorts and a tee shirt (because you've only just ambled downstairs) and with your feet on the desk

9. Go to the gym exactly when you feel like it. Get home, have a leisurely sandwich and cuppa whilst idly answering a few emails

10. Do a few chores that normally take up part of the weekend (haircut, dry cleaners etc)

11. Avoid a meeting someone really wanted you at but you knew would be a complete and utter waste of your time because your 'home broadband was down and couldn't connect to the webex', and instead delegate attendance to someone unfortunate enough to commute using a functioning, militant-free rail company

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
I WFH today too. Strike days has been fine to me in the past but couldn't be arsed with the drive to Dorking or Brighton this morning and had no meetings.

(Un)fortunately I have a meeting at our main office in Berkshire tomorrow which is a hellish drive on a Monday-Thursday.

I did hear the Brighton services ran well again todsy

pasty

A different kind of pasty
Jul 5, 2003
West, West, West Sussex
8. Have a very serious conference call at 8am with someone very senior whilst only wearing boxer shorts and a tee shirt (because you've only just ambled downstairs) and with your feet on the desk

I would add a warning to that. A while ago working from home I received an incoming Skype video call from a colleague so accepted it despite wearing roughly what you describe, only to find he was in a meeting room with the (female) Operations Director, the Senior Project Manager, and my Line Managers boss :eek:

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
I would add a warning to that. A while ago working from home I received an incoming Skype video call from a colleague so accepted it despite wearing roughly what you describe, only to find he was in a meeting room with the (female) Operations Director, the Senior Project Manager, and my Line Managers boss :eek:

LOL. We don't use skype, but an internal VC program that uses the laptop webcam. Good news is you have to positively activate it each time. I often find it doesn't seem to work when I am at home (depending of course on who I am supposed to be talking to)

FamilyGuy

Jul 8, 2003
Crawley
Actually having to travel to London tomorrow, first time on a strike day so wish me luck

I may have to do the same thing next strike-day, so how did you get on?

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
I may have to do the same thing next strike-day, so how did you get on?

Not too bad had an 08:30 call which I did at home caught the 09:19 Shoreham to Brighton which was late so just connected to a fast which stopped at Gatwick then Victoria.

Coming back 16:30 from Victoria but delayed leaving Brighton to Shoreham and train rammed.

Oh and 1st class declassified, bloody GTR

Jul 7, 2003
Good list. Would add :

Don't put your feet up - it can be dangerous. Whilst on a phased return following my knee surgery, I took part in a WebEx call with my feet up on the table to help reduce the swelling. Unfortunately, the painkillers kicked in rather too well and I missed a large chunk of the meeting while sleeping! I can only guess at the time I slept for by knowing who I last remember speaking and who was speaking when I 'rejoined' and checking the agenda. Thankfully I had put myself on mute so nobody heard the snoring.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Don't put your feet up - it can be dangerous. Whilst on a phased return following my knee surgery, I took part in a WebEx call with my feet up on the table to help reduce the swelling. Unfortunately, the painkillers kicked in rather too well and I missed a large chunk of the meeting while sleeping! I can only guess at the time I slept for by knowing who I last remember speaking and who was speaking when I 'rejoined' and checking the agenda. Thankfully I had put myself on mute so nobody heard the snoring.

Not a bad option for some calls......

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
Tube strike 6th / 7th of December which coincides with next SASTA strike.

perseus

Broad Blue & White stripe
Jul 5, 2003
Sūþseaxna
West Coastway disrupted today. Not a strike today?

I can't tell all that much difference if it is normal operations or strike/work to rule or whatever.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
Are there no planned disruptions or expected staff shortages. The train to HH leaves Lewes at 17.50 ish and as we are playing Fulham I would think it will be less busy than going via Brighton

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
Are there no planned disruptions or expected staff shortages. The train to HH leaves Lewes at 17.50 ish and as we are playing Fulham I would think it will be less busy than going via Brighton

You are asking NSC ?

Try asking Southern Railway but don't expect the truth

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here