Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Southern Rail STRIKE details

Worthingite

Sexy Pete... :D
Sep 16, 2011
Worthing
I guess all the trains are running on time and it was all a bad dream
Nope. They had a new trick this morning. Locking the doors to a train two minutes early, then not allowing passengers walking down the platform to get on at brighton station. Utter joke of a company, going out of their way to make people's lives more difficult

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
I just got interviewed by the bloke off BBC radio Surrey and Sussex. It was Adrian who does the Albion commentary with JC and WA. Ended up talking to.him about the Albion for ages 😀

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
All good from Brighton this morning. Got a seat on a Gatwick express and arrived in London on time

That is fine but as many stations are now unmanned and SASTA are removing even the ticket office staff from stations, there is nobody on the platform to check that it is safe for the train to leave..

And anyone who's disabled and might need assistance is required to give SASTA at least 24 hours advance notice of their travel arrangements in order that they can arrange for suitably trained staff to be available at the stations to assist. Now there's an interesting approach to equality of treatment.
On SWT there are train guards who deal with this and, from personal experience, very helpful they are too.

Papa Lazarou

Living in a De Zerbi wonderland
Jul 7, 2003
Worthing
And anyone who's disabled and might need assistance is required to give SASTA at least 24 hours advance notice of their travel arrangements in order that they can arrange for suitably trained staff to be available at the stations to assist. Now there's an interesting approach to equality of treatment.
On SWT there are train guards who deal with this and, from personal experience, very helpful they are too.

i thought Southern had guaranteed the 2nd member of staff on all trains until their franchise ends?

Have you been drinking? Considering that millions vote Tory, that is a very strange remark, even by NSC standards, as you said on another thread. And you think that the next election will see the Tories lose - to Corbyn?!

Is it the case that the ONLY straw the Tories have to clutch is the one that tells them that Corbyn is unelectable? At least try to defend this government's record.

Postman Pat

Jul 24, 2007
Coldean
i thought Southern had guaranteed the 2nd member of staff on all trains until their franchise ends?

I think they have guaranteed that no one will lose their jobs, until the end of franchise anyway. They have said there will be a 2nd member of staff on the train, unless there are exceptional circumstances (like they haven't got enough staff...or the on board member of staff is delayed on a different train), they can then run the train without the need to cancel.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
Just a thought: are these strikes the most ineffective strikes ever?

A fair-proportion of those who commute to London most days are in desk based jobs which they can easily do from their dining room table, sofa or bed. Many will be delighted to have to work from home on strike days, something they can easily do with their laptop.

Those who do have to commute in on strike days find it all quite easy. There may be reduced capacity, but there's also significantly less demand due to all those working at home, or "working at home".

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003

A fair-proportion of those who commute to London most days are in desk based jobs which they can easily do from their dining room table, sofa or bed. Many will be delighted to have to work from home on strike days, something they can easily do with their laptop.

and get delay repay. i'm getting a £20 odd rebate for every strike, WFH and looking forward to £300.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey

Those who do have to commute in on strike days find it all quite easy. There may be reduced capacity, but there's also significantly less demand due to all those working at home, or "working at home".

It took me two hours to get to work yesterday, and those who do get in end up crammed in like sardines. In the age of WFH it is fair to say these strikes have less of an impact than ever before, but when you're paying THOUSANDS for a crud service, even being mildly further inconvenienced is unacceptable.

Hastings gull

Nov 23, 2013
Is it the case that the ONLY straw the Tories have to clutch is the one that tells them that Corbyn is unelectable? At least try to defend this government's record.

This post shows the dangers of interfering. It was not a question of defending anything, simply a retort to the post that the present government represents only a small minority, when in practice millions voted for it. The post then went on to say that he was waiting for the next election to see them voted out, and again I asked if he really thought that a Labour Party, or whatever is left of it by then, under Corbyn would win. basically, what you write is irrelevant.

Have they (or has the CEO just said something during a TV interview that may or may not be the current HMG position)? However, if so, and disregarding what would be Horton's further disingenuous approach towards his staff and the RMT, what will they be trained to do? They surely can't all be ex "guards" as SASTA, by admission, don't have sufficient to run their timetabled service.

If one of their functions is to assist disabled passengers then why am I required to notify them of my specific train times 24 hours in advance of travel - is this equality of treatment?

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS

Agreed. Mildly inconvenient for me to drive to Brighton but my employer is paying for parking and petrol and actually trains every 15mins including the Gatwick Express makes a change from half hourly from Worthing.

How does delay repay work? Normally I'd go from Worthing but this isn't possible till gone 7. Can I claim on my Brighton to London ticket or not ?

HH Brighton

Jul 25, 2003
This post shows the dangers of interfering. It was not a question of defending anything, simply a retort to the post that the present government represents only a small minority, when in practice millions voted for it. The post then went on to say that he was waiting for the next election to see them voted out, and again I asked if he really thought that a Labour Party, or whatever is left of it by then, under Corbyn would win. basically, what you write is irrelevant.

Only 1 in 4 people voted for this government. I like to comfort myself that in every day life 1 in 4 people I meet is either closet racist, selfish or thick.

Neville's Breakfast

May 1, 2016
Oxton, Birkenhead
Only 1 in 4 people voted for this government. I like to comfort myself that in every day life 1 in 4 people I meet is either closet racist, selfish or thick.

then you don't understand democracy. Quite sad that this country seems to be producing a generation unable to cope with views with which they disagree. I am not a Tory and I support renationalisation of the railways but I don't make your sort of assumptions about people who think differently.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here