Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Southern Rail STRIKE details

yxee

Oct 24, 2011
Manchester
That letter makes no sense. The strikes were weeks ago. Cancellations are happening RIGHT NOW.

Never let a good scapegoat go unpunished...

Carrot Cruncher

NHS Slave
Helpful Moderator
Jul 30, 2003
Southampton, United Kingdom
It appears that that the Rt Hon Fatty Soames was at the same meeting. Here is his missive:

At a meeting today with the Chairman and Executives of Govia Thameslink Railway [GTR], Sir Nicholas Soames and many other colleagues who have constituents using the Brighton Mainline and East Grinstead line made the strongest possible representations to the Chairman and Chief Executive and others about the deplorable service.

Sir Nicholas said; “Until this industrial action is resolved there is no chance of the service returning to the moderate levels it was before and all of us emphasized to the Company the urgent need to win the argument and sort out the problems.

“I attach a letter from the Secretary of State for Transport which sets out very clearly the Government’s view on the situation and brings some perspective to the situation.”

“It is intended that there will be a meeting with Ministers and Members of Parliament in the near future and arrangements are being made in the next few days.”

Letter: http://www.nicholassoames.org.uk/si...ghlin_Southern_Thameslink_Services_Update.pdf

That is EXACTLY the same letter given in response to the petition, not something that Soames has investigated. I wouldn't expect that fat **** to do anything bar toe the Tory party line.

Aug 11, 2003
The Open Market
It appears that that the Rt Hon Fatty Soames was at the same meeting. Here is his missive:

At a meeting today with the Chairman and Executives of Govia Thameslink Railway [GTR], Sir Nicholas Soames and many other colleagues who have constituents using the Brighton Mainline and East Grinstead line made the strongest possible representations to the Chairman and Chief Executive and others about the deplorable service.

Sir Nicholas said; “Until this industrial action is resolved there is no chance of the service returning to the moderate levels it was before and all of us emphasized to the Company the urgent need to win the argument and sort out the problems.

“I attach a letter from the Secretary of State for Transport which sets out very clearly the Government’s view on the situation and brings some perspective to the situation.”

“It is intended that there will be a meeting with Ministers and Members of Parliament in the near future and arrangements are being made in the next few days.”

Letter: http://www.nicholassoames.org.uk/si...ghlin_Southern_Thameslink_Services_Update.pdf

Win what argument...? What industrial action...?

albionite

May 20, 2009
Win what argument...? What industrial action...?

Shortage of staff, what they have had since 2013,

staff not willing to work their rest days in their eyes is industrial action. Might as well get rid of workers rights work a10hr day 7 days a week for minimum wage.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
staff not willing to work their rest days in their eyes is industrial action.

and in the eyes of unions, its called working to rule. nothing wrong with them refusing to accept overtime, and the root problem is the understaffing and overreliance on staff cover, but lets not beat around the bush that is whats going on.

Yoda

English & European
and in the eyes of unions, its called working to rule. nothing wrong with them refusing to accept overtime, and the root problem is the understaffing and overreliance on staff cover, but lets not beat around the bush that is whats going on.

Combined with the point that Southern refuse to pay them overtime for it due to the industrial action(*), do you really blame them for not wanting to work their rest days?

(*) More to the point, I thought this was illegal unless it fell in a week where action was taken.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
Combined with the point that Southern refuse to pay them overtime for it due to the industrial action(*)

of course they cant refuse to pay them overtime, what they said is those that take strike action wont be offered overtime. which is rather both barrels at your feet.

Aug 11, 2003
The Open Market
of course they cant refuse to pay them overtime, what they said is those that take strike action wont be offered overtime. which is rather both barrels at your feet.

And they can't run a service without offering them overtime, which is rather both barrels at their feet.

hitony

Administrator
Jul 13, 2005
South Wales (im not welsh !!)
I've only been into the office two days this week - £49 per day from Burgess Hill with underground included.

Whilst that is just a plain ridiculous amount to have to pay, do your company pay for it, or subsdise it in any way? If not, and I don't mean this to get any form of answer, but you must be on big bucks to make it worth paying out that sort of travel money per day, what do you do for a living? if you don't mind me asking.

albionite

May 20, 2009
Combined with the point that Southern refuse to pay them overtime for it due to the industrial action(*), do you really blame them for not wanting to work their rest days?

(*) More to the point, I thought this was illegal unless it fell in a week where action was taken.

It is illegal for unions to organise it. Why aslef have been taken to court and we wait until the 27th of June as they try to find a small bit of evidence that this has happened with drivers. The guys that run aslef are having their phones taken of them and email accounts searched.

As far as I'm aware no order has taken place staff have taken it upon themselves to do it.

Staff just don't want to work overtime for the company no more after they banned ot if they went out on strike.

Horton's halftime iceberg

Blooming Marvellous
Jan 9, 2005
Brighton
I don't understand. Did Southern ban it or are staff optionally declining to work overtime?

Originally reports said management banned it when they opted to strike.

Its a mess, incompetent management and staff that are not motivated to work for the company.

As mentioned earlier, the train companies and the now the bus companies (who have voted to take strike action) run the services on reduced staffing levels and rely on overtime. The bus drivers want to strike as they are forbidden to take days in leui and holidays due to the need for cover. Thats whats been reported anyway.

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
Whilst that is just a plain ridiculous amount to have to pay, do your company pay for it, or subsdise it in any way? If not, and I don't mean this to get any form of answer, but you must be on big bucks to make it worth paying out that sort of travel money per day, what do you do for a living? if you don't mind me asking.

£60 per day from Worthing!!

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill

No company subsidy sadly. I am based in Canary Wharf, but work from home a couple of days a week and also travel a fair bit overseas, so the economics of annual vs weekly vs daily tickets are a bit of a challenge. I usually get a weekly ticket as it works out cheaper than 3 single day tickets (£121 for a week), but I wouldn't get value from an annual season ticket. It's just something you have to accept working in London - captive market market with no realistic alternative. Pay for equivalent roles in London is higher than outside - I work in Banking but in a back office function not sales/trading - and there is a much wider range of jobs. The role I have doesn't really exist in any bank in the UK outside of London of comparable size.

Hotchilidog

Jan 24, 2009
Farcial scenes at Victoria last night as trains to the south coast were delayed, and cancelled. Am seriously considering binning London nights out where I have to get a late train back on a week night, it's not worth the hassle. It's bad enough getting back to Brighton (only one train running between 10.30 and 1am last night) getting back to Eastbourne/Hastings/Littlehampton etc a complete nightmare.

The 11.32 Vic to Btn was cancelled last night, but both the guard and the driver were present to run the service (the guard was talking to disgruntled passengers on the concourse) and were trying to get it reinstated. The last train to Hastings was cancelled due to train crew shortage which left a significant number of coastway east passengers stranded. After what appeared to be some heated but polite discussion with station staff the service was eventually reinstated about an hour later, so southern weer able 'find' the staff after all.

It is quite clear that SASTA have zero interest in the travelling public. The arrogance of the company, bouyed by it's governement backers is simply sickening.

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
I'm going into Brighton tomorrow to watch the Wales and England games in the pub.

There is no way I am relying on SASTA to get me there or home.

pasty

A different kind of pasty
Jul 5, 2003
West, West, West Sussex
17.42 Gatwick Express from Victoria to Brighton. Had to get off at Gatwick because they need a conductor to stop at Hassocks!! FFS!

Sent from my D5803 using Tapatalk

Have they started cancelling the service just for that now as well? It's happened a few times on the 6.15 where there has been no guard available, but they just don't stop at Hassocks.

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
The appalling problems for rail passengers on the Brighton Mainline provide a classic example of how complicated relationships in our privatised train industry are. Passengers are at the mercy of contracts that are not subject to democratic oversight. Ministers shift the goalposts to let Govia off defaulting, and all MPs and passengers have to go on is censored information, released three months late. Commercial confidentiality is in the way of transparency and accountability.

The current management contract for this franchise isn't even reaping the supposed benefits of bringing in the private sector, since from what we’re allowed to see of it, it's a special ‘reduced risk’ contract. Revenue goes to straight to the DfT and Govia get a fee for running the lines. This is in recognition of the complexity of the infrastructure changes needed. However, with the franchise in public hands we could at least fully see what's going on. I am tired of hearing about ‘commercial confidentiality’.

This was mentioned in Private Eye this week too: I hadn't realised this at all.

What a recipe for disaster: so there's literally no incentive to run any sort of service as it doesn't matter to GTR how many passengers they carry. I thought the whole idea of 'privatisation' was bringing elements of the free market to bear on the system but that's clearly not the case.

As a side issue, does that mean that the money the Albion pays GTR for its season ticket levy also go straight to the government? It's no wonder that the trains are constantly screwed up serving the Amex if there is no financial value in delivering any

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Farcial scenes at Victoria last night as trains to the south coast were delayed, and cancelled. Am seriously considering binning London nights out where I have to get a late train back on a week night, it's not worth the hassle. It's bad enough getting back to Brighton (only one train running between 10.30 and 1am last night) getting back to Eastbourne/Hastings/Littlehampton etc a complete nightmare.

The 11.32 Vic to Btn was cancelled last night, but both the guard and the driver were present to run the service (the guard was talking to disgruntled passengers on the concourse) and were trying to get it reinstated. The last train to Hastings was cancelled due to train crew shortage which left a significant number of coastway east passengers stranded. After what appeared to be some heated but polite discussion with station staff the service was eventually reinstated about an hour later, so southern weer able 'find' the staff after all.

It is quite clear that SASTA have zero interest in the travelling public. The arrogance of the company, bouyed by it's governement backers is simply sickening.

With you on this - I tend not to go out after work in London any more as getting home to Sussex afterwards is such a pain. If there is something special on I book a hotel these days

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here