Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Southern Rail STRIKE details

e77

May 23, 2004
Worthing
And workers get seen quicker than they would by their GP, so anything out of the ordinary is picked up straight away.

Once you've rung in with a cold or headache and had to sit in a bed in a medical centre at your workplace, without TV, Wi-Fi etc for a day, you'd think twice before having another day off.

I remember the time I had to take two days off with Vertigo. I couldn't stand up without the room spinning and if I had to go move to get something I threw up. Would have loved Toyota being sent the bill for the taxi being out of use for the rest of the day!

Before anyone asks, I am self employed and average a sick day roughly once every five years as I don't get paid.

albionite

May 20, 2009
Barnham is serviced by GWR as well. I know this because I have had to do the Waterloo-Barnham route before when Croydon was log jammed and had to go the coastal route to get home.

Thameslink is an option but with a 55% punctuality rate (at best on a good day) without any risk of a signal failure (plenty) or a fatality (suicide season) and the trains will no doubt be fit to bursting.

For a day trip I would do the Barnham route. Change at Clapham.

You have to go a little further west and change at Havant for swt up to Waterloo.

Or go from Brighton, thameslink and Gatwick express trains will still be running

Tony Meolas Loan Spell

Slut Faced Whores
Jul 15, 2004
Vamanos Pest
You have to go a little further west and change at Havant for swt up to Waterloo.

Or go from Brighton, thameslink and Gatwick express trains will still be running

Yesh got that slightly wrong. I normally venture north on trains as opposed to East.

Gatwick express I believe are part of the ASLEF strike and overtime ban.

So its thameslink and those trains will he fit to bursting. Mind you they will probably be on time barring the ususal signal failures and fatalities.

pasty

A different kind of pasty
Jul 5, 2003
West, West, West Sussex
I hope the RMT and ASLEF twig soon that yes, Southern and the Government are awful but they're not listening and the best deal they're going to get is already on the table (and it's not a bad offer at all). DOO and then driverless trains is inevitable. Striking constantly is only hurting the wrong people - fellow workers - and that's why even I as a union member have totally lost sympathy. There's no solidarity on that end, and I lost solidarity at the second or third strike.

It makes me laugh when Mick Cash keeps peddling the old "We have fantastic support from passengers" line. Seriously Mick? Have you actually asked any? From personal experience there are very very few commuters supporting you now.

Chicken Run

Member Since Jul 2003
NSC Patron
Jul 17, 2003
Valley of Hangleton
It could be over in less than a week, certainly before the start of Aslef's strike action which is why they're doing this first, of course if Wilkinson/DfT tells SASTA not to settle on any circumstance then you may as well forget about train travel in Sussex for the foreseeable future.

Serious question, how much out of pocket is the average striker since this action started?

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Soames has been communicating that some sort of compensation package is going to be announced this week. Presumably an extension to delay repay?

For who? Southern shareholders? Pensioners? His mates in the city?

Tony Meolas Loan Spell

Slut Faced Whores
Jul 15, 2004
Vamanos Pest
Serious question, how much out of pocket is the average striker since this action started?

I would guess not much. Ernest has talked about a union warchest...Im sure they are subsidising wages (albeit not full salary)

So the only people that are affected genuinely is the working man or woman that needs to train. Ironic really I thought left leaning types were supposed to be sticking up for us. Southern are shit. They dont need more help.

albionite

May 20, 2009
Yesh got that slightly wrong. I normally venture north on trains as opposed to East.

Gatwick express I believe are part of the ASLEF strike and overtime ban.

So its thameslink and those trains will he fit to bursting. Mind you they will probably be on time barring the ususal signal failures and fatalities.

Gatwick express drivers not taken part( wasn't allowed to) they do get southern drivers to drive a few of their trains so I would imagine they will cancel a few (not enough staff). So no surprises there.

Chicken Run

Member Since Jul 2003
NSC Patron
Jul 17, 2003
Valley of Hangleton
I would guess not much. Ernest has talked about a union warchest...Im sure they are subsidising wages (albeit not full salary)

So the only people that are affected genuinely is the working man or woman that needs to train. Ironic really I thought left leaning types were supposed to be sticking up for us. Southern are shit. They dont need more help.

And indeed their families, shocking and extremely SELFISH behaviour from BOTH sides!

One can hope that Karma will deliver and end to the franchise and perhaps equal discomfort to the Union and members supporting this vile assault on honest hardworking people who rely on this service to go about their business.

Tony Meolas Loan Spell

Slut Faced Whores
Jul 15, 2004
Vamanos Pest
And indeed their families, shocking and extremely SELFISH behaviour from BOTH sides!

One can hope that Karma will deliver and end to the franchise and perhaps equal discomfort to the Union and members supporting this vile assault on honest hardworking people who rely on this service to go about their business.

I would literally rip it up and start again. There must be some sort of redundancy process and would make it illegal for union influence when signing new contract with the new provider - if they want to remain employed. I'm sorry but it isn't the 70s anymore and normal market forces do need to apply in 2016.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
im sure its been covered before, but discussion at work just highlighted that all the time the strikes are on, it gives Southern an excuse for poor performance and delays any proceedings to find them in breach of their contract. i've thought this before, and did someone here recently comment that Grayling said he wont look at the breaches until things return to "normal"?

synavm

May 2, 2013
Luckily, Haywards Heath still have Gatwick Express... for now (then they'll be cutting our services, but presumably still charing me £370 a month).

Really trying to find a job outside of London (despite generally being really happy in my current job). Not totally because of the state of the commute and the disruption that Southern, ASLEF and RMT have brought upon workers, businesses and charities, but I'd be lying if I said it didn't factor quite significantly into my decision.

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
This month is going to be pivotal. All these office Christmas parties, huge numbers of people maybe not all that accustomed to alcohol. Throw that into the SASTA mix and it's going to be pretty ****ing grim. Stay safe everyone - and don't take it out on the frontline staff.

In The Rough

Mar 20, 2007
Between The Sticks
This month is going to be pivotal. All these office Christmas parties, huge numbers of people maybe not all that accustomed to alcohol. Throw that into the SASTA mix and it's going to be pretty ****ing grim. Stay safe everyone - and don't take it out on the frontline staff.

All of this. At London Bridge in the evenings, when only one train from a normal 4 or 5 is running to East Croydon, you see people 5 or 6 deep all along the platform. The pushing and shoving when the train stops is something else. At some stage some one will die sadly and only then will they start to do anything about it all.

synavm

May 2, 2013

Yep, I can definitely see that happening. It's certainly been brewing.

pasty

Jul 5, 2003
West, West, West Sussex
Has anyone any experience of very early morning trains the day AFTER a strike? I have to be at Gatwick for 6am on Thursday 15th, a day after a joint ASLEF and RMT strike, and was planning on getting the 05:23 from Brighton

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
Has anyone any experience of very early morning trains the day AFTER a strike? I have to be at Gatwick for 6am on Thursday 15th, a day after a joint ASLEF and RMT strike, and was planning on getting the 05:23 from Brighton

Would strongly advise booking a National Express Coach from Brighton instead. I always use them for early morning LGW flights and they're always (in my experience anyways) 100% reliable. Cost about the same as the train, maybe even a quid or two cheaper. Journey takes 50 minutes max. with a guaranteed seat.

pasty

Jul 5, 2003
West, West, West Sussex
Would strongly advise booking a National Coach from Brighton instead. I always use them for early morning LGW flights and they're always (in my experience anyways) 100% reliable. Cost about the same as the train, maybe even a quid or two cheaper. Journey takes 50 minutes max. with a guaranteed seat.

Thought about coach and not a bad idea. It's just I'm a tightwad and don't want to pay for coach when I have a London season ticket so train would not cost me anything extra :lolol: I guess it might be a lot safer if I don't want to risk missing my flight though :thumbsup:

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland

Travel the night before and stay in the Bloc hotel (50-60 quid) inside the airport right next to departures. You'll have a stress free sleep and an extra hour or so in bed.

halbpro

Jan 25, 2012
Brighton
Thought about coach and not a bad idea. It's just I'm a tightwad and don't want to pay for coach when I have a London season ticket so train would not cost me anything extra :lolol: I guess it might be a lot safer if I don't want to risk missing my flight though :thumbsup:

It'd agree with Tom. Always use National Express for airports. Super reliable and they run at all hours if you need to get their at an awkward time.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here