Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Southern Rail STRIKE details

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
You don't want to look at coming back though. Even worse.

Yep, I just don't think its going to be viable. And as the full horror of this becomes apparent over the course of a few games, it'll only heap more pressure onto the P&R as an alternative, as people leave the train option in their droves.

This is inevitably going to hit attendances for evening games in particular, with the knock-on effect that people won't be able to get to the Amex early enough for a pre-match pint/scoff, and hanging back afterwards won't be an option because it'll already be next to impossible to get home. So the clubs coffers will be hit, and the volume of fans looking to use the service won't be as staggered. If an evening game is on Sky, then I already feel like I'm far more likely to say "stuff it" and go down the pub for the game, rather than rush out from work to run the SASTA gauntlet when I don't need to.

If we ever actually play a 3pm Saturday game this side of Christmas then I'll have to give some serious thought on how I want to try and get there and back. Might have to drive instead, and forgo my usual early-ish arrival for a drinkies.

Ernest

Stupid IDIOT
Nov 8, 2003
LOONEY BIN
Yep, I just don't think its going to be viable. And as the full horror of this becomes apparent over the course of a few games, it'll only heap more pressure onto the P&R as an alternative, as people leave the train option in their droves.

This is inevitably going to hit attendances for evening games in particular, with the knock-on effect that people won't be able to get to the Amex early enough for a pre-match pint/scoff, and hanging back afterwards won't be an option because it'll already be next to impossible to get home. So the clubs coffers will be hit, and the volume of fans looking to use the service won't be as staggered. If an evening game is on Sky, then I already feel like I'm far more likely to say "stuff it" and go down the pub for the game, rather than rush out from work to run the SASTA gauntlet when I don't need to.

If we ever actually play a 3pm Saturday game this side of Christmas then I'll have to give some serious thought on how I want to try and get there and back. Might have to drive instead, and forgo my usual early-ish arrival for a drinkies.

Will decimate the chances of youngsters going too, who is going to take a chance of an hours wait or more at 1030pm to try and get home ?

Taybha

Whalewhine
Oct 8, 2008
Uwantsumorwat
Just in case some people are not sure who has paid what to who for the franchise , i have put in bold letters the bit that may suprise .

The company was awarded the TSGN franchise in May 2014, under a new contract whereby the Department for Transport will pay GTR £8.9 billion over the seven years and receive all revenue.[1] It began operating services under the Thameslink and Great Northern brands in September 2014. Southern and Gatwick Express became part of GTR in July 2015, making it the largest rail franchise in terms of passengers, staff and fleet in the UK.[2][3] The franchise is unusual as fare income does not go to GTR, which is simply paid a fee for operating the service, so GTR carries less revenue risk.[4]

In June 2016, amongst criticism of the performance of its services, Go-Ahead warned of lower than anticipated profits on the franchises, leading to 18% drop in the Go-Ahead share price. Passengers had previously rated its Thameslink service as the worst in the country. Only 20% of Southern trains arrived on time in the year from April 2015 to March 2016, and there was an ongoing industrial dispute over driver-only operated trains.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
Will decimate the chances of youngsters going too, who is going to take a chance of an hours wait or more at 1030pm to try and get home ?

Suspect I'll leave my boy watching the Forest match at home and just go with my mates. I'm not bothered if I get in at 2 in the morning after a Friday night but I'd ideally like him back home for 11 latest. No guarantee of that at all now.

Carrot Cruncher

NHS Slave
Helpful Moderator
Jul 30, 2003
Southampton, United Kingdom
Now I calmed down to a level where I don't want to bludgeon Horton et al to death in front of their families (maybe just frighten them a bit...), I've tackled this rationally. Southern.jpg

In communication between myself and Southern on twitter, they have suggested I get the Victoria train and change at either Barnham or Chichester. As you can clearly see from the attached pic, the Victoria train gets to Barnham 10 minutes AFTER the Portsmouth to Brighton train, thus leaving a 50 minute wait. Needless to say, I told them to poke it.

There's hardly any trains running and they can't even get something simple like that right. Morons.

Luckily, and obviously it's not on Southern's blurb, South West Trains are accepting 'via Barnham' tickets via Clapham Junction.

Hotchilidog

Jan 24, 2009
Surprised they haven't advised you to fly to the continent from Southampton airport and then fly back to gatwick where you can pick up a Southern train to Brighton.

elninobonito

Whitehawk Born and Bred
May 27, 2011
After all the excitement of the new schedule, I just checked my train home and again the 17.48 from London Bridge to Ifield is cancelled....like it has been for the past however many weeks.

Guess im not going to be able to see my boy again before he goes to bed!

Thanks Southern

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
If DOO is so safe why don't planes have it as well ?

cant work out if this is a serious question or not.

why dont trains have radar, or have trolly dollies showing us the crash procedure and exit routes?

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
cant work out if this is a serious question or not.

why dont trains have radar, or have trolly dollies showing us the crash procedure and exit routes?

Southern and Gatwick Express had trolley dollies and got rid of them a few years ago.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
Southern and Gatwick Express had trolley dollies and got rid of them a few years ago.

they didn't show us how to apply the oxygen mask and follow the painted lines though did they. nor did they do much trade as far as i could see, wasnt surprised when they went.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here