Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Southern Rail STRIKE details

oddsonlaughter

Jan 24, 2008
Quick question which I was trying to work out earlier, the trains from Eastbourne to Brighton ( well the peak ones certainly ) that stop at Berwick allow longer journey intervals than those that don't - for example it normally states 4 mins from Eastbourne to Hampden Park but its 6 mins on the one via Berwick, the same for Hampden Park to Polegate which is longer

Any idea why this is the case? Just curious as stood on train at Hampden Park for 3 mins today which I have not noticed it do before as it got in at 4.41 against a 4.44 departure time- as it does not take 6 mins to go from Eastbourne to Hampden Park

albionite

May 20, 2009
Quick question which I was trying to work out earlier, the trains from Eastbourne to Brighton ( well the peak ones certainly ) that stop at Berwick allow longer journey intervals than those that don't - for example it normally states 4 mins from Eastbourne to Hampden Park but its 6 mins on the one via Berwick, the same for Hampden Park to Polegate which is longer

Any idea why this is the case? Just curious as stood on train at Hampden Park for 3 mins today which I have not noticed it do before as it got in at 4.41 against a 4.44 departure time- as it does not take 6 mins to go from Eastbourne to Hampden Park

More dwell times at stations, supposed to make it look like they can run trains on time.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
No.

I’m entirely with Simster on this. As a long suffering commuter myself, I am sick and tired of listening to one side saying “it’s not my fault it’s yours”. As far as I am concerned the whole idea of management and staff is to provide a service which is fit for purpose. Between the, the government, Southern and the RMT have singularly failed to do this and descended into name calling. I pay over £4,000 a year for this shit.

I’m sick to the back teeth of the lot them.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
TLO doesn't travel to London at a cost of 4,000 a year, which is why he preaches rudely and sanctimoniously to me from his ivory tower about which part of one of the country's shittest firms I should sympathise with.

And he still hasn't worked out that I'm past caring whose fault it is *this time*. I'm quite prepared to believe management are at fault this time. Well done Al, I'm sure you're right. Just call me next time one of the unions calls another strike over a petty squabble that would have been resolved over a cup of tea in pretty much any other industry.

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
Going to dip my toe in this mess and catch the 06:15 from Shoreham.......

#prayforme

Iggle Piggle

Sep 3, 2010
I have genuine sympathy for those of you who use this bag of absolute shithouse on a daily basis. I don't know how you put up with it.

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
After the OVERWHELMING ballot results strike dates are ....

SOUTHERN (GTR)
Our Ref: BR2/0146
19th April 2016
Dear Colleague
ROLE OF THE GUARD AND EXTENSION OF DOO – SOUTHERN (GTR)
Further to my previous correspondence with regards to the above matter and where I informed you of the magnificent results in the ballot for strike action and action short of a strike. First and foremost, I would like to take this opportunity to congratulate our members for returning an overwhelming Yes vote in favour of taking industrial action.
I can now advise you that your union’s National Executive Committee has again had the opportunity to consider this matter and believe that the only way to stop management introducing Driver Only Operation (DOO) that threatens your jobs, working conditions and public safety is by taking strike action.
Therefore, your union’s National Executive Committee has taken the decision to call on all our Southern (GTR) Conductor and Conductor Instructor grade members to take the following strike action:
Members are instructed not to book on for any turns of duty that commence between:
• 11.00 hours on Tuesday 26th April 2016 until 10.59 hours on Wednesday 27th April 2016
• 11.00 hours on Tuesday 10th May 2016 until 10.59 hours on Wednesday 11th May 2016
• 11.00 hours on Thursday 12th May 2016 until 10.59 hours on Friday 13th May 2016.
Once again, congratulations to all our Southern (GTR) Conductor and Conductor Instructor members for your show of strength and solidarity in this dispute.
UNITY IS STRENGTH
SUPPORT YOUR UNION – SUPPORT THE ACTION
Best wishes.
Mick Cash
General Secretary
Southern Fail has *driven* me into ditching them and using the car except on boozy albion days.

Did this dispute ever get resolved ?

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
Southern Fail has *driven* me into ditching them and using the car except on boozy albion days.

Did this dispute ever get resolved ?

yes: RMT lost, ASLEF won, GTR score draw.

oddsonlaughter

Jan 24, 2008
More dwell times at stations, supposed to make it look like they can run trains on time.

The cynic in me was wondering whether it was to do with reducing Delay Repay claims for the 15min late payments as I believe they are calculated on the departure time of the next station so for example

Train scheduled to leave at 3pm due to arrive at Hampden Park at 3.04pm train 15 mins late and arrives at 3.19pm

Now

Train scheduled to leave at 3pm due to arrive at Hampden Park at 3.06pm ( new time ) train 15 mins late and arrives at 3.19pm - no delay repay as under the required 15 mins delay due to the dwelling/ later departure time at Hampden Park

I haven't look but if Dwelling on a number of stations on the longer routes then will be reducing the number of claims by artificially extending the times it takes on the timetable to get between stations

Gazwag

5 millionth post poster
Mar 4, 2004
Bexhill-on-Sea
Just been looking at the trains on a Saturday from Falmer to Lewes for after matches next season and it seems the Lewes only (17.01) is now running before the Eastbourne train (17.08) rather than after it, WTF nobody will get on that train as they will wait for the Eastbourne or Seaford trains as they can't possibly catch the first train and change at Lewes. Therefore more people waiting on the platform and more people cannot get on the platform.

Spiros

Jul 9, 2003
Too far from the sun
Very much NOT this.

Blaming the unions and staff, and thinking it's OK to abuse them for this ongoing farce which has been entirely created by the DfT and GTR, is ludicrous. Simster may not care - Lord know he wants to tell everyone he doesn't care while using his scattergun approach to blame-laying - but that doesn't mean you have to scrape his personal barrel too. The point is, blaming staff behaviour from 30 or 40 years ago has no meaning here.

As it transpires, the RMT and ASLEF - who could have behaved so much better over the past two years themselves - called this problem long ago, and they've been proved right. Principally because they know what they're on about. Calling strikes is counter-productive - calling out the government for this calculated farce is bang on the money.

Have you seen the new staff handbook, sent down from on high at GTR, for dealing with PRMs (People with Reduced Mobility)...? It is appalling.
I don't give a shit about new handbooks, or who could have called what problem when. The fact is that the whole lot of them - unions, staff AND management and government - use the provision of a railway 'service' as a sideshow for their power games. Like anyone else who has used the trains over the years I have suffered at the hands of ALL of them, not just management and not just staff. All of them. I am not blaming either side, I am blaming them all. Hopefully that's clear

The Clamp

NSC Licker Extraordinaire
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
Took a train for the first time in about a year yesterday. was leaving Haywards Heath after a few beers so got to HH station to get the 23.05. Walking in and looking at the info boards there was barely a train that wasn't delayed. SASTA tannoys going off every 10 seconds informing us of delays. My train was I think about 15 mins late, others seemed to be getting up to half an hour.
What a bloody shambles.

Iggle Piggle

Sep 3, 2010
If it's any consolation it's not just Southern who are shithouse this week. Currently on a virgin train to London which is rammed as a consequence of the previous one being cancelled. I'm wedged in outside Trap 1. Rik Waller has just gone in and some nasty noises are coming out. A mere snip for 250 a week. Still, the people in 1st seem to be enjoying it.

Iggle Piggle

Sep 3, 2010
Rik came out. I'm going curry last night #nap. My attention is now drawn to the girl who would no doubt describe herself as "bubbly" on a dating website. She is doing Sudoku with a biro which is multi coloured like you had as a kid. Sat on the floor as you would expect. The bloke next to me hasn't stopped coughing since Rik came out.

First class still enjoying brekkie.

Commuting. The dogs bollox.

Iggle Piggle

Sep 3, 2010
As we pull into London, the breakfast munching crew in 1st get ready to leave but give those of us with the trap 1 aisles seats the evils as they won't be first off the train. Well, we've got to have some advantages ffs.

Get me off this train.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Link Here