Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Southern Rail STRIKE details

Ernest

Stupid IDIOT
Nov 8, 2003
LOONEY BIN
After the OVERWHELMING ballot results strike dates are ....

SOUTHERN (GTR)
Our Ref: BR2/0146
19th April 2016
Dear Colleague
ROLE OF THE GUARD AND EXTENSION OF DOO – SOUTHERN (GTR)
Further to my previous correspondence with regards to the above matter and where I informed you of the magnificent results in the ballot for strike action and action short of a strike. First and foremost, I would like to take this opportunity to congratulate our members for returning an overwhelming Yes vote in favour of taking industrial action.
I can now advise you that your union’s National Executive Committee has again had the opportunity to consider this matter and believe that the only way to stop management introducing Driver Only Operation (DOO) that threatens your jobs, working conditions and public safety is by taking strike action.
Therefore, your union’s National Executive Committee has taken the decision to call on all our Southern (GTR) Conductor and Conductor Instructor grade members to take the following strike action:
Members are instructed not to book on for any turns of duty that commence between:
• 11.00 hours on Tuesday 26th April 2016 until 10.59 hours on Wednesday 27th April 2016
• 11.00 hours on Tuesday 10th May 2016 until 10.59 hours on Wednesday 11th May 2016
• 11.00 hours on Thursday 12th May 2016 until 10.59 hours on Friday 13th May 2016.
Once again, congratulations to all our Southern (GTR) Conductor and Conductor Instructor members for your show of strength and solidarity in this dispute.
UNITY IS STRENGTH
SUPPORT YOUR UNION – SUPPORT THE ACTION
Best wishes.
Mick Cash
General Secretary

pasty

A different kind of pasty
Jul 5, 2003
West, West, West Sussex
Members are instructed not to book on for any turns of duty that commence between:
• 11.00 hours on Tuesday 26th April 2016 until 10.59 hours on Wednesday 27th April 2016
• 11.00 hours on Tuesday 10th May 2016 until 10.59 hours on Wednesday 11th May 2016
• 11.00 hours on Thursday 12th May 2016 until 10.59 hours on Friday 13th May 2016.

Unions really do not understand how to garner public support do they.

By striking from 11:00 on day one until 10:59 on day 2, that effectively makes it a 2 day strike as far as commuters are concerned, as I can get to work on Tuesday but can't get home, and could get home on Wednesday but I can't get there. Fortunately for me, I work for an understanding company who will simply allow me to work from home, but I know of other commuters who will be forced to take 2 days leave as they cannot get to work.

Fair enough, if there is a genuine grievance then strike for a day, but that is just taking the piss.

Last edited:

Seasider78

Nov 14, 2004
Unions really do not understand how to garner public support do they.

By striking from 11:00 on day one until 10:59 on day 2, that effectively makes it a 2 day strike as far as commuters are concerned, as I can get to work on Tuesday but can't get home, and could get home on Wednesday but I can't there. Fortunately for me, I work for an understanding company who will simply allow me to work from home, but I know of other commuters who will be forced to take 2 days leave as they cannot get to work.

Fair enough, if there is a genuine grievance then strike for a day, but that is just taking the piss.

Spot on. The times on that proposal are simply taking the piss and at less that a weeks notice leaves people with work commitments that will prove difficult to move.

As I understand it this change is not impacting salaries or staffing numbers so difficult to find sympathy with this disproportionate level of reaction from the union

Ernest

Stupid IDIOT
Nov 8, 2003
LOONEY BIN
Spot on. The times on that proposal are simply taking the piss and at less that a weeks notice leaves people with work commitments that will prove difficult to move.

As I understand it this change is not impacting salaries or staffing numbers so difficult to find sympathy with this disproportionate level of reaction from the union

You don't understand it very well then

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
Agreed. It is a 2-day strike and don't even try and say it isn't.

Look forward to giving them both barrels next time they insist on checking my ticket for the 12th time on a Worthing to London

Frutos

Helpful Moderator
NSC Licker Extraordinaire
May 3, 2006
Northumberland

So the second and third ones basically amount to a four days of chaos - trains screwed up from 11am on the Tuesday to 11am on the Wednesday, which will then take so long to sort out and get right (displaced trains and crew etc...) that normal service will probably take until the Thursday morning to kick in at which point it all goes tits again and screws the rest of Thursday and no doubt all of the Friday with similar post-strike disorganisation.

Utter piss-take.

Deadly Danson

Oct 22, 2003
Brighton

So if it was a strike regarding salaries you would have more sympathy? This is about SAFETY of every single person on the train and that is why this action is needed - GTR are putting profits before safety in spite of their rhetoric. How would you go about changing their minds?

Ernest

Stupid IDIOT
Nov 8, 2003
LOONEY BIN
So the second and third ones basically amount to a four-day strike - trains screwed up from 11am on the Tuesday to 11am on the Wednesday, which will then take so long to sort out and get right (displaced trains and crew etc...) that normal service will probably take until the Thursday morning to kick in at which point it all goes tits again and screws the rest of Thursday and no doubt all of the Friday with similar post-strike disorganisation.

Utter piss-take.

Obviously if you got made redundant you wouldn't fight for your job then ? This is the best way to hit GTR hard and get them to reconsider

Seasider78

Nov 14, 2004
So if it was a strike regarding salaries you would have more sympathy? This is about SAFETY of every single person on the train and that is why this action is needed - GTR are putting profits before safety in spite of their rhetoric. How would you go about changing their minds?

There are no guards operating doors on the tube and this seems to manage fine with far greater passenger numbers? Why does this change suddenly become a death trap on the mainline railway?

Frutos

Helpful Moderator
May 3, 2006
Northumberland
There are no guards operating doors on the tube and this seems to manage fine with far greater passenger numbers? Why does this change suddenly become a death trap on the mainline railway?

Fair question, let's see what the SASTA apologists and cronies make of it.

Frutos

Helpful Moderator
May 3, 2006
Northumberland
Obviously if you got made redundant you wouldn't fight for your job then ? This is the best way to hit GTR hard and get them to reconsider

I wouldn't regard it as sensible to fight for my job by pissing off and disrupting my customers - biting the hand that feeds springs to mind.

Of course, most railway staff/operators don't actually care about their customers because they know that people often have little choice but to use their services to get to/from work so have to tolerate whatever crap is thrown at them (trains in the 21st century with no toilets on them, regular fare rises with no discernable improvement in service or standards and staff with less customer service skill than a prune, for just a few examples).

They chose to work in an industry which was ALWAYS going to see increased automation as technology advanced and now they're grizzling because their chances of a cushy job for life are being put at risk.

pasty

A different kind of pasty
Jul 5, 2003
West, West, West Sussex
Of course, most railway staff/operators don't actually care about their customers because they know that people often have little choice but to use their services to get to/from work so have to tolerate whatever crap is thrown at them

The one announcement that really pisses me off is the "thank you for travelling with Southern today" as we trundle into Brighton the standard 10 minutes late. Believe me, if I had a choice, I bloody well wouldn't have been travelling with Southern.

Ernest

Stupid IDIOT
Nov 8, 2003
LOONEY BIN
I wouldn't regard it as sensible to fight for my job by pissing off and disrupting my customers - biting the hand that feeds springs to mind.

Of course, most railway staff/operators don't actually care about their customers because they know that people often have little choice but to use their services to get to/from work so have to tolerate whatever crap is thrown at them (trains in the 21st century with no toilets on them, regular fare rises with no discernable improvement in service or standards and staff with less customer service skill than a prune, for just a few examples).

They chose to work in an industry which was ALWAYS going to see increased automation as technology advanced and now they're grizzling because their chances of a cushy job for life are being put at risk.

Why should they be flung out ? You know nothing of the job, you know nothing of what has been going on at Southern yet you parrot your The Sun rhetoric. You really are pathetic, no wonder this country is like it is with people you tugging their forelocks and bowing and scraping in gratitude as the boss throws a handful of food on the floor for them to fight over

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Link Here