Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Southern Rail STRIKE details

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
This is where the race to the bottom comments come in, effectively what you're saying is that you won't stand up to your leaders so neither should they. If you want to accept getting the chop as a 'fact of life' so be it, live your live however you please but don't begrudge those that will stand up for themselves.

This, completely. Unions are - obviously - run to serve the interests of their members. They do a whole STACK of stuff beneficial to their members and their families behind the scenes, but only come into focus to the wider public when they, as a last resort, stick up for their members against a bullying employer with all the financial clout stacked in their favour.

If you choose, or are forced, to work in a non-unionised environment for a major employer, you are completely at the mercy of some head office accountant sat in an office maybe half a world away who will slash at the bottom line and will without so much as a blink make you a victim of the company cuts, no matter how much heart and soul and personal sacrifice you've put into the company.

Deadly Danson

Oct 22, 2003
Brighton
This, completely. Unions are - obviously - run to serve the interests of their members. They do a whole STACK of stuff beneficial to their members and their families behind the scenes, but only come into focus to the wider public when they, as a last resort, stick up for their members against a bullying employer with all the financial clout stacked in their favour.

If you choose, or are forced, to work in a non-unionised environment for a major employer, you are completely at the mercy of some head office accountant sat in an office maybe half a world away who will slash at the bottom line and will without so much as a blink make you a victim of the company cuts, no matter how much heart and soul and personal sacrifice you've put into the company.

VERY well said.

pearl

May 3, 2016
Behind My Eyes
I have been a trade union member since my first ‘real’ job back in the 80s. I was in the same trade as my late partner so due to ‘progress’ we were made redundant several times, at similar times. The union gave us advice and support, they sent us job lists and pretty much found us new jobs. They also helped with retraining and made sure our redundancy packages were ‘accurate’. When my partner passed away they unexpectedly gave me help and advice (unlike the scumbag f-ing banks). I now work for a company that don’t acknowledge trade unions, but I wouldn’t dream of stopping my subs. They are still there to advise on stuff and I know my subs are being used elsewhere. Also it’s handy for getting into trade bars with cheap beer!
Occasionally I ask younger people why they don’t join a union. They usually look at me as if I’ve suggested they join the clergy, but then list reasons …. Can’t afford the subs, on short-term contracts, their bosses wouldn’t like it, pretty much all the reasons for joining one. My monthly subs are around £14.00, not a lot to me, but I appreciate if you’re on minimum wage, struggling to pay rent etc. it’s different. Quite ironic really, progress.

Tony Meolas Loan Spell

Slut Faced Whores
Jul 15, 2004
Vamanos Pest
Well said sir,well said.
Far to often on here people get so bitter because a group of workers stand up and say no,I'd hate to work in an industry where a boss just bullies his/her way through timid staff.
A lot of folk on here with beautiful green eyes.

No. You just leave and get another job. No one said you have to put up with it.

I did. Dare say others do to.

Thats the world in 2016.

No. You just leave and get another job. No one said you have to put up with it.

Thats the world in 2016.

You may enjoy rolling over and having your belly rubbed,not for me,I'd much,much rather stand and fight for the job and industry I love,ah well I suppose some just don't have the stomach or the bollocks for it.
All the best .

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Tony Meolas Loan Spell

Slut Faced Whores
Jul 15, 2004
Vamanos Pest
This is where the race to the bottom comments come in, effectively what you're saying is that you won't stand up to your leaders so neither should they. If you want to accept getting the chop as a 'fact of life' so be it, live your live however you please but don't begrudge those that will stand up for themselves.

Like I say. To quote Biff from Back to The Future "make like a tree and get out of here"

Its leave you idiot. Thats all they need to do. Not dick around the people that ultimately pay their wages*

*Recognising that the whole of SASTA is a ****fest

Tony Meolas Loan Spell

Slut Faced Whores
Jul 15, 2004
Vamanos Pest
You may enjoy rolling over and having your belly rubbed,not for me,I'd much,much rather stand and fight for the job and industry I love,ah well I suppose some just don't have the stomach or the bollocks for it.
All the best .

Quite the opposite actually. Id much rather leave and go somewhere with far less hassle and not dick people about. Which is what I have done. Numerous times. No belly rubbing here!

Quite the opposite actually. Id much rather leave and go somewhere with far less hassle and not dick people about. Which is what I have done. Numerous times. No belly rubbing here!

And good luck to you,I suppose I'm just not cut out to quit,must be in the blood,least I now know what you're all about.
All the best.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
You have to feel a bit for the RMT. The strike has become about as irrelevant as the current leader of the political party they tend to side with.

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
Finished work in Brighton at 10, still waiting for a train home now. How do people put up with this crap everyday? Well, no choice I suppose. Awful.

biddles911

May 12, 2014
I have been a trade union member since my first ‘real’ job back in the 80s. I was in the same trade as my late partner so due to ‘progress’ we were made redundant several times, at similar times. The union gave us advice and support, they sent us job lists and pretty much found us new jobs. They also helped with retraining and made sure our redundancy packages were ‘accurate’. When my partner passed away they unexpectedly gave me help and advice (unlike the scumbag f-ing banks). I now work for a company that don’t acknowledge trade unions, but I wouldn’t dream of stopping my subs. They are still there to advise on stuff and I know my subs are being used elsewhere. Also it’s handy for getting into trade bars with cheap beer!
Occasionally I ask younger people why they don’t join a union. They usually look at me as if I’ve suggested they join the clergy, but then list reasons …. Can’t afford the subs, on short-term contracts, their bosses wouldn’t like it, pretty much all the reasons for joining one. My monthly subs are around £14.00, not a lot to me, but I appreciate if you’re on minimum wage, struggling to pay rent etc. it’s different. Quite ironic really, progress.

Interesting post which puts the positive case for trade unions. There are bad trade unions as well as bad bosses, however, and those that don't want to recognise changing times e.g. the old print unions with their Spanish practices, tarnish the good ones.

I've been around long enough (mostly in retail) to understand why unions have their place as there are far too many Mike Ashley and Philip Green types around that are happy to ignore workers' rights.

Not sure which camp the RMT sits in these days though, given what a shower the Southern Rail management are, I can understand their intransigence....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Gazwag

5 millionth post poster
Mar 4, 2004
Bexhill-on-Sea
So how does the delay repay thing work. As the train we were going to catch this morning from polegate to victoria was cancelled can I claim my fare back again

ManOfSussex

We wunt be druv
Apr 11, 2016
Rape of Hastings, Sussex
The conductor on my train earlier was lovely. She can strike or do anything she wants anytime by me. She was lovely.

pearl

May 3, 2016
Behind My Eyes
They are striking on the 5th? Am I the only one who finds it a bit backeards that they are striking over passenger "safety" but refuse to run a service to Lewes on the fifth. Wont that cause more safety issues for passengers who have to find other ways of getting there?

It's the train company saying trains won't stop at Lewes (Moulsecoomb / London Road)

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
They are striking on the 5th? Am I the only one who finds it a bit backeards that they are striking over passenger "safety" but refuse to run a service to Lewes on the fifth. Wont that cause more safety issues for passengers who have to find other ways of getting there?

Limited trains will be at risk of being 'too busy', so they've decided not to stop there.........possibly difficult to understand the logic of a company that reacts to potentially high demand by reducing supply to nil.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
That is clearly bullshit though. You just fill the trains until at the safe limit.

and when you have a thousand people or so waiting after the last train is safely full? i can see the logic of this completely, not convinced of the cause as i thought they'd stopped trains in some previous years at the request of police/council when it was getting too busy. local bonfire for local people.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here