Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Southern Rail STRIKE details

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
The reply ? We don't keep records of previous cancellations. I kid you not and suggested I sign up with a paid external service to find out.

wll thats clearly bollocks otherwise how would they keep their statistical records or deal with delay repay claims? maybe a Freedom of Information request will help them find the recrods?

elninobonito

Whitehawk Born and Bred
May 27, 2011
Has anyone been claiming delay repay against the original timetable? My delays have varied from 45 to 90 mins, when I have had my claims confirmed by Southern the compensation has only been awarded at 30-60 mins every time.

I have gone back and ensured I have filed out the forms correctly and now filed new claims to try and rectify this?

Just wondering if it is happening to anyone else?

Arthur

Jul 8, 2003
Buxted Harbour
Not as explained to me by Southern staff.

The journey planner may well be accurate but that's the here and now.

There is no communication regarding which trains have effectively been cancelled until further notice.

It doesn't stop me turning up at the station and finding no train. They have simply disappeared from the timetable again.

The train I usually get has often been cancelled - even during the no strike periods - and listed as "cancelled". I emailed Southern and asked them

1) How often the train had been cancelled is the last 2 months ?
2) What was the cause of the cancellation ?

The reply ? We don't keep records of previous cancellations. I kid you not and suggested I sign up with a paid external service to find out.

That's bullshit.....not the response you got but the fact they don't keep records of cancellations. How on earth would they be able to approve or decline delay repay claims?

I share your pain. I stayed in town Wednesday and Thursday nights last week so consequently missed the morning commute on Thursday and Friday post start of the overtime ban. Monday I woke as per normal and checked my phone to make sure the trains are running ok and the 7:18 which I normally get wasn't even listed on national rail. Nor did the Southern site mention that it was cancelled until further notice. A tweet to Southern confirmed what I already knew. Consequently it meant a mad dash to get to the station for the 6:43. At the station there was a white board explaining which services have been removed but that is only any good for people arriving at the station. When you've a train every half an hour (only one at the moment) it means a long wait at the station. I commute every day so I'm used to it and know where and what to look for. Must be a nightmare for your once in a blue moon traveller.

My morning commute currently means I'm either half an hour early or half an hour late.....thankfully I have an understanding boss.

The journeys home this week have been pretty unpleasant. Not helped by the weather granted but each day they've been noticeably busier certainly for the first bit to East Croydon.

Arthur

Jul 8, 2003
Buxted Harbour
Has anyone been claiming delay repay against the original timetable? My delays have varied from 45 to 90 mins, when I have had my claims confirmed by Southern the compensation has only been awarded at 30-60 mins every time.

I have gone back and ensured I have filed out the forms correctly and now filed new claims to try and rectify this?

Just wondering if it is happening to anyone else?

Not this year yet but I will start doing it. Last year they honoured them so I don't see why they won't this year.

Postman Pat

Jul 24, 2007
Coldean
I share your pain. I stayed in town Wednesday and Thursday nights last week so consequently missed the morning commute on Thursday and Friday post start of the overtime ban. Monday I woke as per normal and checked my phone to make sure the trains are running ok and the 7:18 which I normally get wasn't even listed on national rail. Nor did the Southern site mention that it was cancelled until further notice. A tweet to Southern confirmed what I already knew. Consequently it meant a mad dash to get to the station for the 6:43. At the station there was a white board explaining which services have been removed but that is only any good for people arriving at the station. When you've a train every half an hour (only one at the moment) it means a long wait at the station. I commute every day so I'm used to it and know where and what to look for. Must be a nightmare for your once in a blue moon traveller.

The journey planner online was updated last Wednesday. I checked and the 07.10 from Moulsecoomb I usually get wasn't showing, the 17.02 from Brighton was also not showing. I assumed this was due to overtime not being worked. On Thursday I set my alarm 15 mins earlier and got the 6.57. I am now getting the 16.40 home.

I also have email alerts set up for my journey home and got an email saying the 17.02 service had been suspended until further notice.

Why didn't you at least have a look over the weekend? Southern had given an idea which services would be affected so surely it was worth a look and not just assuming your train would be OK?

Arthur

Jul 8, 2003
Buxted Harbour
Why didn't you at least have a look over the weekend? Southern had given an idea which services would be affected so surely it was worth a look and not just assuming your train would be OK?

Because I spend all week in London and the weekend is my time. I'd spent two nights in London which were both very boozy, then had a wedding reception on Friday evening and then a stag do on Saturday. Quite frankly I'd totally forgotten about the overtime ban until Monday morning and I noticed the train missing. Also the only time (foolishly I grant you) I look at the online journey planner is to make sure the late trains aren't replacement busses. The rest of the time I just use the departure boards.

BNthree

Plastic JCL
Sep 14, 2016
WeHo
If the bank is open I generally prefer to use a teller,of course if the bank had been closed down and replaced by a whole on the wall?
Do you not prefer to converse with a tax paying human?

Barclays on George St, Hove, has gradually been removed humans and replacing them with machines. Think officially the only tellers are for foreign exchange and business banking. Usually lots of confused looking pensioners in there trying to work out how to pay in a cheque or the the like.

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton
The journey planner online was updated last Wednesday. I checked and the 07.10 from Moulsecoomb I usually get wasn't showing, the 17.02 from Brighton was also not showing. I assumed this was due to overtime not being worked. On Thursday I set my alarm 15 mins earlier and got the 6.57. I am now getting the 16.40 home.

I also have email alerts set up for my journey home and got an email saying the 17.02 service had been suspended until further notice.

Why should customers need to check if trains are running or not ? I don't check with Tesco that they have a stock of baked beans before I go to their shop. Neither do I check with the Albion that the published match is still on for me to go to. It's up to the Government, Southern, the Unions and the staff to put on the published service. At the moment not one of those parties cares one single jot about the customers - in fact I suspect they're all quite enjoying the pain the customers are going through otherwise the situation would have been resolved by now.

Postman Pat

Jul 24, 2007
Coldean
Why should customers need to check if trains are running or not ? I don't check with Tesco that they have a stock of baked beans before I go to their shop. Neither do I check with the Albion that the published match is still on for me to go to. It's up to the Government, Southern, the Unions and the staff to put on the published service. At the moment not one of those parties cares one single jot about the customers - in fact I suspect they're all quite enjoying the pain the customers are going through otherwise the situation would have been resolved by now.

How would you have liked Southern to communicate that the train wasn't running to each commuter?

This isn't a new situation, it has been like this for 14 months, and shows no signs of ending. I agree it is rubbish, but blaming a lack of information when it has been issued isn't fair in my opinion. Commuters have to at least take some personal responsibility to check their journey ahead of time, especially when notified in advance that there was likely to be problems and cancellations on all routes.

So you will not check any of the Albion's fixtures since they were released, and if you turn up at 2pm on the 12th August and no one else is there it will be the club's fault, or BT or Premier League?

Arthur

Jul 8, 2003
Buxted Harbour
How would you have liked Southern to communicate that the train wasn't running to each commuter?

Via their website or the NR website.

This isn't a new situation, it has been like this for 14 months, and shows no signs of ending. I agree it is rubbish, but blaming a lack of information when it has been issued isn't fair in my opinion. Commuters have to at least take some personal responsibility to check their journey ahead of time, especially when notified in advance that there was likely to be problems and cancellations on all routes.

So you will not check any of the Albion's fixtures since they were released, and if you turn up at 2pm on the 12th August and no one else is there it will be the club's fault, or BT or Premier League?

I get your point but you can't really compare the two IMO. Brighton don't play every day at the same time. If they did and all of sudden they stopped even though the fixture list suggested otherwise then I'm sure you would get folk turning up or at least not realising until the last min.

Postman Pat

Jul 24, 2007
Coldean
You could easily send text alerts and emails to customers who have tickets. It is not hard, it is how planes do it.

THEY DO!!! If you set up a travel alert they will send you an email to tell you that your train is delayed or cancelled!!!!!!

Alert.PNG

They don't have an email address for every passenger, and don't know which trains they are planning on catching.

Arthur

Jul 8, 2003
Buxted Harbour
They have, but you admitted you didn't bother to look until Monday morning. They list all the services they plan to run here:

http://www.southernrailway.com/your...dvice-for-aslef-industrial-action-on-weekdays

They have, but you admitted you didn't bother to look until Monday morning. They list all the services they plan to run here:

http://www.southernrailway.com/your...dvice-for-aslef-industrial-action-on-weekdays

Fair point. Still don't think it would hurt to have the service listed as cancelled or at least in the delays/cancellation part of the southern site rather than just nothing.

THEY DO!!! If you set up a travel alert they will send you an email to tell you that your train is delayed or cancelled!!!!!!

View attachment 86927

They don't have an email address for every passenger, and don't know which trains they are planning on catching.

But that would have fallen down in my case surely as the service wasn't even listed on the NR site.

Postman Pat

Jul 24, 2007
Coldean
Fair point. Still don't think it would hurt to have the service listed as cancelled or at least in the delays/cancellation part of the southern site rather than just nothing.

But that would have fallen down in my case surely as the service wasn't even listed on the NR site.

But that was a huge number of trains, all the PDF timetables show the cancelled trains. The journey planner shows scheduled trains, and those trains are not scheduled at the moment.

As I said earlier, I have an alert for the 17.02. When it was suspended I got an email to say it wasn't present in the timetable anymore.

Your alert for your journey Brighton (BTN) to Moulsecoomb (MCB) service, departing on 19 May 17 at 17:02 and arriving at 17:07 has been suspended. This may be because of a timetable change. As a result, we are unable to match one or more of your journey legs to your registered alert.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland

Wouldn't happen in Germany.

Arthur

Jul 8, 2003
Buxted Harbour
But that was a huge number of trains, all the PDF timetables show the cancelled trains. The journey planner shows scheduled trains, and those trains are not scheduled at the moment.

As I said earlier, I have an alert for the 17.02. When it was suspended I got an email to say it wasn't present in the timetable anymore.

Your alert for your journey Brighton (BTN) to Moulsecoomb (MCB) service, departing on 19 May 17 at 17:02 and arriving at 17:07 has been suspended. This may be because of a timetable change. As a result, we are unable to match one or more of your journey legs to your registered alert.

You are my hero and much better at trains than me! :love::love::love::bowdown::bowdown::bowdown:

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
Happy RMT strike day number xx

You RMT boys are making a massive difference to train running today

essbee1

Jun 25, 2014
Southern Rail Dispute

I'm sure done to death on here and before I say anything
I travel south eastern from Kent of a day into London. This
service isn't brilliant, but nothing compared with Southern.
I travel Southern to the Albion home matches and boy that
can be fun sometimes.

I am 100% in support of the Union on this. For the following
single reason: I have been on crutches etc now and again and
appreciate the work that train guards do. They were the most helpful
people on the planet and so too station staff. And underground staff
as well. Amazingly helpful.

A guard on our south eastern train said that the plan to
assist disabled passengers at unstaffed stations (evenings etc) and
with no guard present was for the passenger to phone in advance so that a
member of rail staff could arrange to travel to be at that station to assist
at the scheduled time or whatever.

I stand to be corrected - but for me there is no way this can happen.

I'll leave you to work out the rest of the complete and utter disaster
that would be. Think bad weather, traffic, staff illness etc etc

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
Southern has been fined £13.4M today for poor performance.

Grayling (Transport Minister) has to produce his report to the High Court today.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here