Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Southern Rail STRIKE details

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
Why would THPP Rail Company want to spend hundreds of thousands of pounds training drivers when your franchise only lasts 5 years ? All you're doing is setting up the next company with their resources seeing the time to get a driver fully trained could be 2 years +. So all the train companies have been relying on what they have and sticking plaster management in only recruiting and training staff if they really have to which is why we are where we are.

What THPP said :shrug:

Ernest

Stupid IDIOT
Nov 8, 2003
LOONEY BIN
What THPP said :shrug:

But it won't ever change , not in 2020, not in 2030, all the time you have this franchise model there is no financial reason in a TOC paying for drivers to be trained which is why they haven't , to say things will be ok in 2018 is wrong as it won't be.

If you lived in London and had the choice to work for any of the TOC's plus LUL would you want to work for an organisation like GTR knowing how they treat their staff ?

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
But it won't ever change , not in 2020, not in 2030, all the time you have this franchise model there is no financial reason in a TOC paying for drivers to be trained which is why they haven't , to say things will be ok in 2018 is wrong as it won't be.

If you lived in London and had the choice to work for any of the TOC's plus LUL would you want to work for an organisation like GTR knowing how they treat their staff ?

You could go back to probably the 1950's and the rail industry would be promising a brighter tomorrow. Always Jam Tomorrow. Only way it keeps the paymasters paying. End user rarely sees any kind of change for the better tho eh?

pearl

May 3, 2016
Behind My Eyes
Brother said last night that he had received an email from the club saying trains should be back to normal on Mon26th Sept what is normal back to the original timetable or revised timetable to take into account the industrial action?

It means the original timetable (but that doesn't mean there won't be cancellations)

Ernest

Stupid IDIOT
Nov 8, 2003
LOONEY BIN
You could go back to probably the 1950's and the rail industry would be promising a brighter tomorrow. Always Jam Tomorrow. Only way it keeps the paymasters paying. End user rarely sees any kind of change for the better tho eh?

But when you're dealing with a rancid organisation like SASTA it is even more difficult to believe anything they promise

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
But when you're dealing with a rancid organisation like SASTA it is even more difficult to believe anything they promise

Impossible, more like. In true Tory fashion, it's all about skimming off the cream for shareholders and directors, irrespective of performance.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
Not sure what the fuss is all about.

Last night: popped down to West Worthing and a Victoria train turned up bang on schedule. Hopped off at Hove and straight onto the shuttle to Brighton, completing the West Worthing to Brighton journey in around half an hour. I didn't need the train to get home after the match.

Today, I needed to pop over to Brighton again. A late morning Brighton train again arrived exactly on time. Returning I caught the shuttle to Hove and then experienced what I'm terming an anti-cancellation. A train that was NOT showing on the electronic boards at Hove suddenly appeared and whizzed me back to West Worthing, stopping only at Shoreham and Worthing. Speedy and efficient.

Had I seen a guard on any of the 5 trains I caught over the last day, I'd have thanked them for struggling into work with the sniffles, ensuring a most pleasant travelling experience for me.

pearl

May 3, 2016
Behind My Eyes

Last night: popped down to West Worthing and a Victoria train turned up bang on schedule. Hopped off at Hove and straight onto the shuttle to Brighton, completing the West Worthing to Brighton journey in around half an hour. I didn't need the train to get home after the match.

Today, I needed to pop over to Brighton again. A late morning Brighton train again arrived exactly on time. Returning I caught the shuttle to Hove and then experienced what I'm terming an anti-cancellation. A train that was NOT showing on the electronic boards at Hove suddenly appeared and whizzed me back to West Worthing, stopping only at Shoreham and Worthing. Speedy and efficient.

Had I seen a guard on any of the 5 trains I caught over the last day, I'd have thanked them for struggling into work with the sniffles, ensuring a most pleasant travelling experience for me.

pop and whizz all in the same day .... luck you

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
06.47 west Worthing to London Bridge terminated at East Croydon this morning. I especially enjoy it when that happens as boarding another train from East Croydon at 8am is fun

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008

Must be nice to be in a position to have a good laugh and a joke about the current mess, all in the name of banter no doubt, because it doesn't really affect you personally.

Not so nice for the thousands of workers struggling to get into work on time each day and under threat of losing their job, or indeed having already lost it. Through no fault of their own.

Or the thousands of students, from school kids right through to college and university students just trying to get an education but struggling to get in on time or even at all on some days. All through no fault of their own.

Yes, very funny, your Government.

Almost as funny as when the tanker drivers threatened to strike and one of your Ministers suggested everyone should store a Jerrycan of fuel in their garage so they don't get caught out. Great bantz that... nice. Oh wait, hold on a minute, he was being serious. He genuinely believes everyone has a garage, with two cars on the drive no doubt.

Shows how removed from the ordinary man or woman on the street your lot really are. Our is it really that you are all just a bunch of I'm alright Jacks that genuinely couldn't give a monkey's what other people have to deal with?

albionite

May 20, 2009
Seems that the epidemic affecting Guards is serious now, my SAUCES tell me that 'Can'tbebotheredwiththisanymoreI'mgettinganewjobitis' is now hitting the depot establishments and no amount of overtime or managers masquerading as Guards will be enough to cover what they're promising next week

They are giving drivers a £100 extra sign on if they put their name down for working rest days. Getting a bit desperate to prove that they are on top of it and it's all down to guard sickness and not employing enough staff in first place.

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
avoided all trains thus far.. but having to get an early one to victoria from angmering sat am.... anyone know if the sat timetable is ...*cough, reliable..ish?

*NO* Services to Victoria from Southern mainline due to engineering works. Direct services into London Bridge instead

el punal

*NO* Services to Victoria from Southern mainline due to engineering works. Direct services into London Bridge instead

And anyone wishing to go from Southampton to Brighton for the Barnsley game on Saturday . . . tough ti**ies!! Engineering work from Chichester to Ford - replacement bus service to Littlehampton from Chi. Oh, and if you're thinking of going Southampton to Clapham Junction and then Southern to Brighton - no trains from Victoria.

What you can do is Southampton to Clapham Jct, change, Clap.Jct. to East Croydon, change, East Croydon to Hove, change, Hove to Brighton, change, Brighton to Falmer!!

And if you're really lucky you get to use FOUR different train companies for a journey that would originally have only been roughly 60 miles.

Of course all this is based on the fact there will be staff to operate these trains. I await with bated breathe. :shrug:

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
Must be nice to be in a position to have a good laugh and a joke about the current mess, all in the name of banter no doubt, because it doesn't really affect you personally.

Not so nice for the thousands of workers struggling to get into work on time each day and under threat of losing their job, or indeed having already lost it. Through no fault of their own.

Or the thousands of students, from school kids right through to college and university students just trying to get an education but struggling to get in on time or even at all on some days. All through no fault of their own.

Yes, very funny, your Government.

Almost as funny as when the tanker drivers threatened to strike and one of your Ministers suggested everyone should store a Jerrycan of fuel in their garage so they don't get caught out. Great bantz that... nice. Oh wait, hold on a minute, he was being serious. He genuinely believes everyone has a garage, with two cars on the drive no doubt.

Shows how removed from the ordinary man or woman on the street your lot really are. Our is it really that you are all just a bunch of I'm alright Jacks that genuinely couldn't give a monkey's what other people have to deal with?

Gallows humour is humor about very unpleasant, serious, or painful circumstances. Any humour that treats serious matters, such as death, war, disease, and crime, in a light, silly or satirical fashion is considered gallows humour. Gallows humour has been described as a witticism in response to a hopeless situation. It arises from stressful, traumatic, or life-threatening situations, often in circumstances such that death is perceived as impending and unavoidable.

(PS: our government)

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland

wellquickwoody

Many More Voting Years
NSC Patron
Aug 10, 2007
Melbourne
This will be day nine of commuting by train on the trot, doesn't happen often. It will also be day nine of the ticket machine not working at my station, and probably day nine of not seeing a guard to pay my fare to. Thanks Southern.

Diego Napier

Mar 27, 2010
Gallows humour is humor about very unpleasant, serious, or painful circumstances. Any humour that treats serious matters, such as death, war, disease, and crime, in a light, silly or satirical fashion is considered gallows humour. Gallows humour has been described as a witticism in response to a hopeless situation. It arises from stressful, traumatic, or life-threatening situations, often in circumstances such that death is perceived as impending and unavoidable.

(PS: our government, sitting back, contentedly presiding over the whole privatised/heavily subsidised pile of sh!t that masquerades as our 21st century train system.

edited

This will be day nine of commuting by train on the trot, doesn't happen often. It will also be day nine of the ticket machine not working at my station, and probably day nine of not seeing a guard to pay my fare to. Thanks Southern.

Don't thank Southern,thank yourself,it's taxpayers that are propping up this shameless shower of shysters,they are literally laughing in our faces.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here