Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Southern Rail STRIKE details

Yoda

English & European
As a 'customer', when I buy a ticket for a train journey, I expect the train to arrive on time and deposit me at my destination on time. If you have a problem with the working practices of your company then please take it out with them. When you take your grievances out on the travelling public then don't expect any support from us.

If you expect a rail service like that, I suggest you move to Japan. I believe they are the only Country to run a service as close to what you are requiring. :wink:

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
I honestly think they couldn't care less. With the government on their side who cares about about those who may need a little help with their travel - something a few people who are used to commuting and know what they are doing could do with remembering.

Good point.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
And I hear tonight that 2 disabled passengers were assisted onto the 23.00 train from Barnham to Brighton wanting Worthing. As there was no OBS on board so no one to help them off at Worthing they were offloaded and had to wait for the 2320 which goes via Littlehampton but does have a guard. I think this sort of thing is worth fighting against.

As a 'customer', when I buy a ticket for a train journey, I expect the train to arrive on time and deposit me at my destination on time. If you have a problem with the working practices of your company then please take it out with them. When you take your grievances out on the travelling public then don't expect any support from us.

Winker, please read the post above I have quoted. And if you want the service you suggest, at a fraction of the cost, I can recommend moving to mainland Europe.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
Will the latest revelations by the independent authority stating that the working practice is perfectly safe have any effect on the strike, not that I use trains as too expensive.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
And I hear tonight that 2 disabled passengers were assisted onto the 23.00 train from Barnham to Brighton wanting Worthing. As there was no OBS on board so no one to help them off at Worthing they were offloaded and had to wait for the 2320 which goes via Littlehampton but does have a guard. I think this sort of thing is worth fighting against.

assisting somone onto a train when theres noone to assit off is daft, and makes a strong case for a second person in its own right. the question is why is this now an issue, nothing has been done about disabled access on Thameslink? are disabled expected to wait for the Southern services or just not use those stations serviced only by Thameslink? and why is Aslef dishonest about the availability of staff at those stations? theres a degree of cynicism in using concerns of the disabled in this dispute, rather like how RMT will claim passenger saftey for every underground dispute, then settle for more pay.

Last edited:

albionite

May 20, 2009
Will the latest revelations by the independent authority stating that the working practice is perfectly safe have any effect on the strike, not that I use trains as too expensive.

What independent authority? Rssb run by the bosses of the railway or are you talking about Orr, who said it COULD be safe if they put the equipment in first.

ManOfSussex

We wunt be druv
Apr 11, 2016
Rape of Hastings, Sussex
Rail strikes threaten to spread nationwide

The rail strikes that have caused commuter misery in the south of England are set to spread across the country, it emerged this weekend.

Industrial action is “inevitable” on the Northern rail network, which covers a swathe of northern England including com*muter services in Leeds, Manchester, Newcastle upon Tyne and Hull, a union boss warned.

Strikes could also spread to the West Midlands, Merseyside and other lines into London, say industry insiders.

Such an escalation of the dispute that has crippled Southern rail services between the south coast and London for months will further infuriate commuters who, business chiefs have warned, are at “breaking point”.

It comes as another wave of strikes are due to hit rail and air passengers this week.

Talks to avert a 24-hour walkout on the London Underground appeared to have failed yesterday. The strike, due to start at 6pm today, will result in the *closure of most Tube stations in central London and will hit tomorrow’s morning rush hour.

Train drivers on Southern, most of whom are represented by Aslef, are due to walk out on Tuesday, Wednesday and Friday, shutting down the network on those days and disrupting services during the rest of the week.

Meanwhile, thousands of British Airways cabin crew will start a two-day strike on Tuesday, which has forced the airline to cancel up to 48 flights, although passengers who have booked will be put on alternative departures the same day.

The dispute on the rail *network centres on the expansion of driver-only trains, on which the driver, rather than a conductor, opens and closes the doors.

Unions say this will put safety at risk and want a guarantee of a second person on all trains. The Office of Rail and Road, an industry regulator, last week ruled that the system is safe if certain conditions are in place.

On Tuesday the RMT union will ballot staff on Arriva Rail North, operator of the Northern network, for strike action in a dispute over pay. One industry source claimed the objective of the vote was to “soften up” Arriva for the looming “real battle” over driver-only trains.

At present a workforce of 1,300 guards operate the doors on every train on the network. Under the terms of Arriva’s franchise, which started in April last year, half the distance travelled on the network will have to be on driver-only trains by the end of 2019.

Micky Thompson, the RMT’s chief negotiator on Northern, denied this week’s pay ballot is a “softening up exercise” but admitted that the union is on course for a showdown over the trains.

He said Arriva had told him it is unable to negotiate over the issue because of a “directive” from the Department for Transport, adding that this meant “it’s inevitable” that it will end up in an industrial dispute: “It’s regrettable . . . unless we sit down and address this correctly in a genuine fashion it’s inevitable that it will end up in a trade dispute.”

He said it was up to other RMT bosses to decide a timetable for any action.

With about 2,500 services carrying 270,000 passengers each day, strikes on Northern would result in almost the same scale of disruption that has been seen on Southern.

Rail industry insiders also fear strikes could spread to Merseyrail. It was announced last month that the Swiss firm Stadler will build a new fleet of 52 trains for the network, which will be designed to have no conductors and doors controlled by drivers. Mick Cash, RMT general secretary, accused Merseyrail of “ramming [driver-only trains] down our throats”, warning that the union “will do whatever is necessary to defend the safety of members and the travelling public”.

The new West Midlands rail franchise, which will be awarded in June and includes Birmingham commuter services and trains into London on the West Coast mainline, also has a requirement that new trains be fitted with kit to allow the driver to control the doors.

Ken Usher, RMT regional organiser, said last month that the union “completely opposes any such changes in [the] West Midlands and the rest of the country”.

New trains on the next South West franchise, another key London commuter network, must allow driver-only operation. High speed trains being built for the Great Western and East Coast mainlines will also have equipment to allow the doors to be opened by the driver.

Colin Stanbridge, chief executive of the London Chamber of Commerce, said tomorrow’s strike would “cripple” the Underground.

http://www.thetimes.co.uk/edition/news/rail-strikes-threaten-to-spread-nationwide-kkml0mp83

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
BBC South has a debate about this at 19:30 tonight.

Bladders

Twats everywhere
Jun 22, 2012
The Troubadour
Worrying when it's the Tory and the Lib Dem who come across as the most sensible on the panel

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
Very poor debate just points scoring but no sign of any resolution

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
Charles Horton put on the spot twice and both times was unable to give guarantees regarding safety critical guards and address the fact that the ORR report says DOO can be safe but not everything in place to make them completely safe now.

He can't go to the room to the side to negotiate anyway, as was asked of him, because his pay masters weren't there to pull his strings.

Wrong-Direction

Mar 10, 2013
What a surprise, so resolution! !

Sent from my SM-A310F using Tapatalk

Lower West Stander

Mar 25, 2012
Back in Sussex
Didn't see the "debate" but assume it was just each side ranting at the other and not agreeing about anything. So no progress?

I've got an idea.

If Her Maj is feeling a bit better, why doesn't she invite Horton, Grayling, Cash and Whelan to the Palace. When they get there she could lock them in a room (preferably in the cellar) and deny them access to any food, water or sanitary facilities until they had come up with an agreement which meant we could all get to work the next day on trains running on time?

I'm wfh tomorrow but don't mind popping in to Buck House on Wednesday to ask?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

BrianWade4

Aug 17, 2010
A nice bit of South London
Charles Horton put on the spot twice and both times was unable to give guarantees regarding safety critical guards and address the fact that the ORR report says DOO can be safe but not everything in place to make them completely safe now.

He can't go to the room to the side to negotiate anyway, as was asked of him, because his pay masters weren't there to pull his strings.

Exactly my summary

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here