Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Southern Rail STRIKE details

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
Charles Horton put on the spot twice and both times was unable to give guarantees regarding safety critical guards and address the fact that the ORR report says DOO can be safe but not everything in place to make them completely safe now.

He can't go to the room to the side to negotiate anyway, as was asked of him, because his pay masters weren't there to pull his strings.

He could do with some media training, flapped more than sexy Pete when in goal, but why are all union leaders bombastic twats ?

Mellor 3 Ward 4

Jul 27, 2004
saaf of the water
Horton was feeble, and avoided the question.

As did the RMT guy who came across as arrogant and 'couldn't give a shit' about the travelling public.

Both as bad as each other, and clearly no end in sight.

Deadly Danson

Oct 22, 2003
Brighton
Exactly my summary

Yep, he was floundering. They could of course go back to how things were a year or so ago before the new franchise started with safety trained guards, the safest method of dispatch (almost) being used, a franchise operator who actually has a vested interest in more people buying tickets and trains more or less running normally but then that won't save money and saving money is the root cause of the whole dispute.

VAL1850

Nov 22, 2008
Beachy Head & WSU
All sides are so far apart won't get resolved anytime soon , more chance in peace in Syria. Obviously too simplistic , 6 carriages driver only above with guards

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
All sides are so far apart won't get resolved anytime soon , more chance in peace in Syria. Obviously too simplistic , 6 carriages driver only above with guards
No resolution until either there is a General Election campaign or the franchise is up for renewal.

3rd World railway in Sussex until then.

Mellor 3 Ward 4

Jul 27, 2004
saaf of the water
Yep, he was floundering. They could of course go back to how things were a year or so ago before the new franchise started with safety trained guards, the safest method of dispatch (almost) being used, a franchise operator who actually has a vested interest in more people buying tickets and trains more or less running normally but then that won't save money and saving money is the root cause of the whole dispute.

Yep, Horton was floundering, as was the Union guy, he didn't answer the questions either. Shame so many oh here have blinkered views.

I say get rid of both of them, start negotiations again.

Muzzy

Jan 25, 2011
Lewes
This has reached the level of being simply a power struggle and nothing to do with agreements.
Neither side will back down regardless of reason so arbitration is the only way I can see resolution. This was just a pre recorded publicity stunt for commuters to get more frustrated about.
Yet another predictable stalemate of which just about anyone could have guessed would happen.
Complete tosh!

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

Wrong-Direction

Mar 10, 2013
The most relative part was the ex train driver that had worked on both types of train and his opinion was every train if possible should have a driver and a guard.

Sent from my SM-A310F using Tapatalk

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
I've said exactly this on the ABC Facebook group but my feeling continues to be one of despair at all sides. An ineffective and ideological government controlling an absolutely shambolic private company up against a bolshy, ideology driven union full of members who have been so disenfranchised and demoralised by the shambolic private company that they're looking for any excuse not to work. They all need their heads banging together.

Another interesting thought for the "just get another job" argument is that there is anecdotal evidence on the ABC group that many Southern drivers are doing just that, never mind the people in control. You have to ask yourself "who is replacing them". That's a much greater safety risk than who shuts the doors.

pb21

Apr 23, 2010
The most relative part was the ex train driver that had worked on both types of train and his opinion was every train if possible should have a driver and a guard.

Sent from my SM-A310F using Tapatalk

This is by far the most sensible solution.

The extra cost of this approach would be minimal, if any, the benefits potentially significant.

It's a no brainer IMO.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
This is by far the most sensible solution.

The extra cost of this approach would be minimal, if any, the benefits potentially significant.

It's a no brainer IMO.

It would have to be given that the people who matter on all three sides don't appear to own a decent brain between them.

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
Horton was feeble, and avoided the question.

As did the RMT guy who came across as arrogant and 'couldn't give a shit' about the travelling public.

Both as bad as each other, and clearly no end in sight.

Whilst I'd agree that the RMT bloke didn't come across great either, at least he could be bothered to turn up!

Where exactly were the DfT in all this? Oh yes, that's right, they declined the invite to attend, just like they declined the Paul Barber's open invitation to talks at the Amex. The unions were the only party to agree to talks being offered by the Albion if I recall correctly?

It seems quite clear to me who mostly "couldn't give a shit about the travelling public".

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
Where exactly were the DfT in all this? Oh yes, that's right, they declined the invite to attend, just like they declined the Paul Barber's open invitation to talks at the Amex. The unions were the only party to agree to talks being offered by the Albion if I recall correctly?

It seems quite clear to me who mostly "couldn't give a shit about the travelling public".

What did you expect this is now a straight Government v Unions issue

Horton's halftime iceberg

Blooming Marvellous
Jan 9, 2005
Brighton
Apologies first as this is probbaly fixtures around pages 400.

A practical question - I need to get to Kings Cross and back tommorow, I see the Thameslinks are down as running, will they get me there and back and will it be like the football terrace circa 1979, squashed in and my feet not touching the ground.

Thanks for any first hand experinece of traveling Thameslink on this route on a strike day.

FloatLeft

Jun 12, 2012
Apologies first as this is probbaly fixtures around pages 400.

A practical question - I need to get to Kings Cross and back tommorow, I see the Thameslinks are down as running, will they get me there and back and will it be like the football terrace circa 1979, squashed in and my feet not touching the ground.

Thanks for any first hand experinece of traveling Thameslink on this route on a strike day.

I guess it all depends on the time of travel but I journeyed from Brighton to London Bridge on the 14th December (a driver strike day) and the 10:30ish Thameslink train was practically empty.

Horton's halftime iceberg

Blooming Marvellous
Jan 9, 2005
Brighton
I guess it all depends on the time of travel but I journeyed from Brighton to London Bridge on the 14th December (a driver strike day) and the 10:30ish Thameslink train was practically empty.

Cheers for this, yes I am traveling in the day and somone else I spoke to said they had also heard this is the case as so many people just dont bother to comute in.

ROSM

Dec 26, 2005
Just far enough away from LDC
My view on last night's debate.

Interesting no dft rep (although huw merrimen did a good job of selling the govt line)
Interesting no aslef rep
Interesting that it was 3 v 1 on the panel blaming the union whilst audience seem more evenly split?
Union rep needs to work harder on presentation although must be clearly difficult to keep your cool when guy next to you is clearly lying (as was found out when union rep did get the opportunity to challenge back on something said, which on didn't happen often enough in the edited bits shown)
Clearly wouldn't trust lynch or Horton as far as I could throw them. Most sensible comments came from audience esp ex staff.
Why do media still seem to think southern issues are all to do with industrial action?

Last edited:

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
Why do media still seem to think southern issues are all to do with industrial action?

because the two main protagonists, Southern and RMT, keep insisting its not political? this was observed by my other half, who questioned why the RMT in particular do this, as if they said it was political it would force a political response. if there is an agenda from DfT/government, the RMT are playing completly to script.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here