Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Southern Rail STRIKE details

elninobonito

Whitehawk Born and Bred
May 27, 2011
If only someone had replied to your earlier post ^

If only someone had read the reply to their reply to my original post.

They have given me e-vouchers and cannot be exchanged for cash, they have to be used online for a ticket so I am stuck. My work pay for my annual ST and these vouchers cannot be used in conjunction. The Thameslink CR team have said its tough so im stuck with them!

surely got to be someone somewhere that is going to be buying a ticket soon.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
seems to me the solution is to buy a season ticket yourself around the amount of the vouchers, then next day cancel/refund and have the value put on card

elninobonito

Whitehawk Born and Bred
May 27, 2011
seems to me the solution is to buy a season ticket yourself around the amount of the vouchers, then next day cancel/refund and have the value put on card

Seems that you can only have a refund as the same payment method, so they would refund me in vouchers!!

elninobonito

Whitehawk Born and Bred
May 27, 2011
How long they valid for ?
if one year use them for your next season ticket

It has 11 months left BUT you cannot use these offline, my company pay for my season ticket and cannot do it online so I cant even use them to discount my ticket!!

The vouchers are in £100, £100 and £97 denominations, so anyone going to an away or home game and buying train tickets please let me get them and transfer the cash?

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
You'll all be delighted to know that ATMs at Brighton, Hove, East Croydon, Eastbourne and Three Bridges (as confirmed on Twitter) are now charging £1.99 for their usage. Not sure how long this has been the case, but I guess Southern Fail don't want people using their ATMs.

Thunder Bolt

Ordinary Supporter
You'll all be delighted to know that ATMs at Brighton, Hove, East Croydon, Eastbourne and Three Bridges (as confirmed on Twitter) are now charging £1.99 for their usage. Not sure how long this has been the case, but I guess Southern Fail don't want people using their ATMs.

Reading the Twitter feed from Ass British Commuters it seems Cashzone own the ATMs.

Yoda

English & European
Reading the Twitter feed from Ass British Commuters it seems Cashzone own the ATMs.

Yep, seems to be a Cashzone nationwide initiative to start charging again. Went to get some money out of the one on Heene Road garage (Worthing) this morning, only to see it saying there would be a £1.95 charge when it used to be free.

I'm sure the reason they went to free in the first place was due to the admin charge only costing them about a penny to 5p max. Has inflation & the fall in the pound really hit them that hard?

beorhthelm

Jul 21, 2003
I'm sure the reason they went to free in the first place was due to the admin charge only costing them about a penny to 5p max. Has inflation & the fall in the pound really hit them that hard?

i recall reading the Link network has restructure their fees, reducing the standard amount banks pay the machine operator for normal ones and boosting the payments for remote ones (i think?). quite how 5p difference justifies going from free to £2 is another matter. i'll simply avoid them if everyone does theyll come back down in price. unfortunatly people will pay for convenience.

so nothing to do with trains, nothing to do with brexit, just shifting a subsidy from one target to another.

clapham_gull

Legacy Fan
Aug 20, 2003
Yep, seems to be a Cashzone nationwide initiative to start charging again. Went to get some money out of the one on Heene Road garage (Worthing) this morning, only to see it saying there would be a £1.95 charge when it used to be free.

I think it has a lot to do with the fact that cash machine usage has gone down and believe it or not - there are too many cash machines and they obviously require maintenance.

If you aren't getting paid by the bank per transaction, the companies need to make some cash.

I know I live in London, but I must have at least 10 within easy walking distance.

5 within 5 minutes from my front door :)

I can honestly say there are only two occasions when I use a cash machine in the UK.

Once every three weeks or so, get a tenner out for the barbers. Always have cash on me when I go to the Amex.

I've noticed the fee paying ones (usually in corner shops) are disappearing because why would you use them ?

Last edited:

Mr Banana

Tedious chump
Aug 8, 2005
Standing in the way of control
Just left Clapham after one of those slightly feral situations when no-one knows whether any train will turn up and where to, and then one just turns up at five minutes' notice.

Interesting "vibe" as there are a few people on here of the mindset to actively want to watch U2.

"Good morning" announces the conductor. Is it morning? Didn't even think about time - a few minutes ago we were all thinking about sleeping at Clapham. Now I'm listening to a Bono acolyte asking a patient woman if she's married (no) or in love.

Still riding on a football high after all the CL and league games tonight so I don't care but it's still a fascinating little ecosystem of suits, stragglers, the slumbering, the lost...a procession of multiple people struggling to work out how to use the automatic toilets. What a world

Last edited:

Chicken Run

Member Since Jul 2003
NSC Patreon
Jul 17, 2003
Valley of Hangleton
Just left Clapham after one of those slightly feral situations when no-one knows whether any train will turn up and where to, and then one just turns up at five minutes' notice.

Interesting "vibe" as there are a few people on here of the mindset to actively want to watch U2.

"Good morning" announces the conductor. Is it morning? Didn't even think about time - a few minutes ago we were all thinking about sleeping at Clapham. Now I'm listening to a Bono acolyte asking a patient woman if she's married (no) or in love.

Still riding on a football high after all the CL and league games tonight so I don't care but it's still a fascinating little ecosystem of suits, stragglers, the slumbering, the lost...a procession of multiple people struggling to work out how to use the automatic toilets. What a world

I’m struggling to understand the post to be honest.

Spiros

Jul 9, 2003
Too far from the sun
The reason is here. It seems Southern could have done something about this, and chose not to...

https://insidecroydon.com/2018/10/26/southern-could-have-acted-to-avoid-2-cash-machine-charges/
Ah I see so it's not the fault of the banks lowering the interchange rates which are driving these ATM companies to charge for withdrawals wherever they are, but Southern's for not allowing them to put their machines on the stations for free (when every other outlet is expected to pay rent).

If it's cold when you're on the station is it also Southern's fault for not providing heated platforms?

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
Ah I see so it's not the fault of the banks lowering the interchange rates which are driving these ATM companies to charge for withdrawals wherever they are, but Southern's for not allowing them to put their machines on the stations for free (when every other outlet is expected to pay rent).

A meaningless point, especially as that was not was being asked of Southern...

If it's cold when you're on the station is it also Southern's fault for not providing heated platforms?

... combined with meaningless linkage.

Spiros

Jul 9, 2003
Too far from the sun
A meaningless point, especially as that was not was being asked of Southern...

... combined with meaningless linkage.

My point being that why should Southern have to take the rap for something which is not their doing? They rightly take it when it's their fault, but if you try and blame them for things like the cash machine charge then frankly you wreck the credibility of the other worthwhile criticism you give them. Basically you just look like you have an agenda, regardless of the facts

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
My point being that why should Southern have to take the rap for something which is not their doing? They rightly take it when it's their fault, but if you try and blame them for things like the cash machine charge then frankly you wreck the credibility of the other worthwhile criticism you give them. Basically you just look like you have an agenda, regardless of the facts

Gotta agree with this, struggling to see how this is Southerns problem or in fact why in this day and age it is even relevant.

beorhthelm

Jul 21, 2003
im sceptical at Cardtronic's spin, and wonder what commission they pay. the LINK payment reduction is from 25p to 20p, phased in 1p a year. so the question is how the £2 fee is justified at all regardless of where the ATM are situated or commissions.

whitelion

Dec 16, 2003
Southwick
I haven't used the railway for around three years since the industrial action began. I just don't consider them when planning a journey. Is this action still going on? Will it ever be resolved?

Simgull

Jan 3, 2013
Hove
I haven't used the railway for around three years since the industrial action began. I just don't consider them when planning a journey. Is this action still going on? Will it ever be resolved?

No industrial action, less cancellations but the whole ‘service’ still stinks is unreliable and over priced.

Oh yeah and we don’t have guards anymore.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here