Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Southern Rail STRIKE details

HH Brighton

Jul 25, 2003

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patron
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing
Southern Rail on Radio Sussex has just stated it will be imposed. Conductor-less trains, plus new train supervisors. New contracts, no loss of jobs...

Hmmmmm good luck with all of that.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ernest

Stupid IDIOT
Nov 8, 2003
LOONEY BIN
I love this talk of 'Work to rule' , the railway rule book is a large publication that covers everything from putting stuff on social media to signalling rules and regs, what to do in any accident or mishap and so on. Each employee is trained in his part of the rule book and you have to have a licence to say that you are competent to do whatever your job is and you are legally bound by what the rule book says.

If you don't do whatever the rule book states then it is a misconduct charge and possible dismissal so every railway employee must 'Work to rule' as they are legally bound to.

Arthur

Jul 8, 2003
Buxted Harbour
I'm really struggling to see why anyone thinks this is a bad thing?

Conductors it's one less thing you have to do and you aren't losing your jobs.
Passengers if we don't have to have a conductor on a service that reduces the chance of a service being cancelled for lack of staff by 50%
Drivers granted you have to push a button a couple of times and look at a monitor but that is hardly much of a bind is it?

This safety nonsense the conductors trot out is rubbish. I don't feel any less safe traveling on the tube or thameslink where there are no conductors and the driver operates the door. The only folk I can see who might be put out are disabled people who need to get on/off at rural stations. But that said how do those folk cross platforms at those stations?

Napper

Jul 9, 2003
Sussex

Passengers if we don't have to have a conductor on a service that reduces the chance of a service being cancelled for lack of staff by 50%
Drivers granted you have to push a button a couple of times and look at a monitor but that is hardly much of a bind is it?

This safety nonsense the conductors trot out is rubbish. I don't feel any less safe traveling on the tube or thameslink where there are no conductors and the driver operates the door. The only folk I can see who might be put out are disabled people who need to get on/off at rural stations. But that said how do those folk cross platforms at those stations?

Not to mention we can all bunk the train to Aldrington for games at the Goldstone again

oh

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey

It's not nonsense. What about women travelling late at night as well as the disabled you mention?

But as a properly pissed off commuter, what bothers me is that this is the sort of thing the train company are bothered about. What about the fact that they can't get their trains to run on time, if at all? They are holding the passenger in complete contempt, more than the worst types of striking union members back in the day when they'd strike if management so much as looked at them in a funny way.

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
I'm taking a half day tomorrow to take my daughter to the Festival Theatre.

Play starts at 7.

Sums it up

First Light? I'm going to that but can't leave early as I have to wait for Mrs G to get home to take over childcare. I'm hoping that Southern has its act together but I'm not holding my breath

albionite

May 20, 2009

Just for you

https://issuu.com/rmtunion/docs/gaurds_2016/4?e=5545475/36464086

Frutos

Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
May 3, 2006
Northumberland
I'm taking a half day tomorrow to take my daughter to the Festival Theatre.

Play starts at 7.

Sums it up

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I am doing the same on Friday as I need to be in London by 7:30pm - pathetic, but the only way to be certain.

Arthur

Jul 8, 2003
Buxted Harbour
It's not nonsense. What about women travelling late at night as well as the disabled you mention?

What would you rather....a cancelled train because no guard so woman is left hanging about round the station or that she does have the ability to get back home?

As I mentioned how do disabled people deal with changing platforms at rural stations currently? My station has two platforms and a bridge, there is no exit on platform 2 and that is the same for 6 other stations on the line. So is that really an issue other than the one that already exists?

But as a properly pissed off commuter, what bothers me is that this is the sort of thing the train company are bothered about. What about the fact that they can't get their trains to run on time, if at all? They are holding the passenger in complete contempt, more than the worst types of striking union members back in the day when they'd strike if management so much as looked at them in a funny way.

As you know I am also a commuter and I'm also very pissed off with the whole scenario. The last couple of years with first the London Bridge debacle which we've just been told to grin and bare for four ****ing years. Granted that isn't a Southern issue so to speak but it affects my service that I pay a lot of money for.

Secondly the continued dreadful service thrown up by Southern across the board. From top to bottom, customer services are shit, guards are average at best, we have very little interaction with the drivers but I'll assume they are the same due to the number of cancellations due to lack of driver (and I'm not just talking about recently), I've lost count the amount of times I've turned up with a wad of delay repays to a station to be greeted with an eyeroll because the station staff needs to process them (run a better service and I wouldn't have so many!) and clearly the top brass are ****ing ********s who don't give a flying **** because they know they have people over a barrel.

And now finally this the unions and the TOC at loggerheads and neither prepared to budge. It's a whole ****ing hamper of shit at a picnic and quite frankly I don't care who fault it is just get it sorted.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
And now finally this the unions and the TOC at loggerheads and neither prepared to budge. It's a whole ****ing hamper of shit at a picnic and quite frankly I don't care who fault it is just get it sorted.
This, in a nutshell, is spot on.

But there is no motivation for anyone to do so. The unions and the company consider us collateral damage in their petty seemingly endless squabbles, and the government when confronted with a total mess that they introduced with their appalling privatisation plan, are simpering and gutless as they'd rather maintain the status quo than take the task in hand properly. It really is an absolutely disgraceful mess.

albionite

May 20, 2009
This, in a nutshell, is spot on.

But there is no motivation for anyone to do so. The unions and the company consider us collateral damage in their petty seemingly endless squabbles, and the government when confronted with a total mess that they introduced with their appalling privatisation plan, are simpering and gutless as they'd rather maintain the status quo than take the task in hand properly. It really is an absolutely disgraceful mess.
Not even close, rmt have tried to compromise but gtr are having none of it and walked out of meeting again the other day.
As for Arthur that is what Tories/daft are hoping for. This will go on all summer they have even planned for it to last 3 years.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here