Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Southern Rail STRIKE details

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
Put is this way being booed by guards as people head to Brighton station today to catch a train really isnt the way to win hearts and minds. Really **** them all sack em and start again. Im with the govt now. Safety is a smokescreen.

Disgraceful. I would have gone over and had a word

Diablo

NSC Patron
Sep 22, 2014
lewes
Put is this way being booed by guards as people head to Brighton station today to catch a train really isnt the way to win hearts and minds. Really **** them all sack em and start again. Im with the govt now. Safety is a smokescreen.

Here Here. They give the impression they like causing trouble and enjoy the "fight".

Deadly Danson

Oct 22, 2003
Brighton

Just spoken to the guards on the picket line. They were jokingly booing a member of staff who was heading in to work and certainly not a member of the public.

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton
Just spoken to the guards on the picket line. They were jokingly booing a member of staff who was heading in to work and certainly not a member of the public.

Of course they were :facepalm: Union members have never been known to use the word 'scab' etc.

Deadly Danson

Oct 22, 2003
Brighton
and do the union have no pre-conditions ?

Not to my knowledge. As I understand it (and I've obviously only heard one side) the RMT reps were all there ready for talks yesterday but Southern had pre conditions. Namely that they would only discuss their 8 point plan and nothing else. I.e not up for any negotiation

Deadly Danson

Oct 22, 2003
Brighton
That's ok then I'm sure it reassures all the travellers who don't read NSC

The problem is I've already seen this on twitter. And whether you agree with the strike or the reasons behind it or not, this sort of rubbish spreads quickly and it 100% didn't and indeed wouldn't happen - the guards have no reason to boo passengers.

Neville's Breakfast

May 1, 2016
Oxton, Birkenhead
Not to my knowledge. As I understand it (and I've obviously only heard one side) the RMT reps were all there ready for talks yesterday but Southern had pre conditions. Namely that they would only discuss their 8 point plan and nothing else. I.e not up for any negotiation
that's poor from Southern. This needs a gesture of goodwill from both sides. Southern to have no pre conditions on talks but also the union to call off the strike. Striking is in itself a pre condition.

Gazwag

5 millionth post poster
Mar 4, 2004
Bexhill-on-Sea
The problem is I've already seen this on twitter. And whether you agree with the strike or the reasons behind it or not, this sort of rubbish spreads quickly and it 100% didn't and indeed wouldn't happen - the guards have no reason to boo passengers.

Doesn't matter if they were booing one person amongst 100 as far as the 99 other people are concerned each individual person could understandably believe it was them who was being booed. In the day and age of smartphones, videos and social media, with the stress the passengers are already under worried that if they don't get to work today they will be sacked, is there any wonder it would go straight online.

Deadly Danson

Oct 22, 2003
Brighton
that's poor from Southern. This needs a gesture of goodwill from both sides. Southern to have no pre conditions on talks but also the union to call off the strike. Striking is in itself a pre condition.

It is poor. But obviously there are 3 sides to every story. Even though I'm 100% in support of guards I can do without the posturing on both sides. In these instances I wish acas could impose their own conditions on any talks which both sides have to abide by.

Tony Meolas Loan Spell

Slut Faced Whores
Jul 15, 2004
Vamanos Pest

I heard it. So did others. Joke or not.. Very poor AGAIN.

They really are not helping themselves are they here. Bunch of ****ing CLOWNS.

Tony Meolas Loan Spell

Slut Faced Whores
Jul 15, 2004
Vamanos Pest
They don't and they aren't. And they are losing 5 days pay.

Oh boo hoo. People are losing their jobs and not seeing their families because of these JOKERS. Bollox to them. I would SACK them all. See you (not you specifically I know you are not a guard) in the ASDA beans counter my friend, or sports direct.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003

neither party seem to be "up for negotiation" and yet here we are with an offer that we have ourselfs arrived at as a sensible comporomise. the 8 point plan on offer:

1. Southern will guarantee that every train currently operated with a conductor will continue to have either a traditional conductor or a second member of on board staff diagrammed/rostered.

This guarantees a second member of staff on every train that has one today, for the life of the GTR franchise.

2. Southern guarantee that traditional conductors will retain current competence and will guarantee that the second member of on board staff will be trained to a ‘safety competent’ level including track safety training, train evacuation, traction competence and full commercial route knowledge (excluding train dispatch).

This guarantees the vital safety role of the on-board staff, including training in safety.

3. Southern will propose a list of exceptional circumstances, to be agreed with RMT, whereby a train can continue in service without a second member of on board staff, for the benefit of customers.

This is vital to achieve the main objective of the change – reducing train delays and cancellations. It means that in times of service disruption, a train can run without a conductor in circumstances when otherwise it would be cancelled. The criteria for this would be agreed with RMT.

4. These proposals, including the above guarantees, are dependent upon agreement that services with a second member of on board staff (rather than a traditional conductor) will have the driver in full control of train dispatch. Agreement for this to be implemented will be ratified at local level.

This ensures best-use of the new train technology. As the independent rail safety board have concluded, on modern trains it is safe, and may in fact be safer, for drivers to operate the doors rather than conductors.

5. Collective bargaining rights for the new OBS role, ensuring that this group will have a voice within the organisation as well as full negotiation rights.

This protects the interests of conductors in their new role and locks-in traditional collective bargaining rights

6. A joint review of the OBS role after 12 months of operation, to look at role development, training and future career development.

This ensures the role will be properly reviewed and, if necessary, changed, after 12 months of operation. The review will be joint with RMT, giving them a key role.

7. A guaranteed minimum level of voluntary overtime for all OBSs, the detail of which would be agreed with the RMT.

This guarantees and protects the conductors from any loss of income in the new role.

8. A guarantee to retain the OBS role at the levels already guaranteed, beyond 2021, should GTR retain the franchise.

This guarantees that the retention of the role will be a key part of GTR’s bid in the franchise renewal process.

if the union cant discuss let alone agree to that, they dont want to agree to anything and are stubbornly refusing any change, the dispute will continue and disrupt the lives of hundreds of thousands across the region. it addresses the unions concerns around saftey in point 2 and i would take that back to the membership as a victory.

Last edited:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here