Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Southern Rail STRIKE details

Hotchilidog

Jan 24, 2009
What is clear, is that this government in particular and certainly this company do not have the interests of the passengers at heart. It is an unacceptable shambles where ministers and company execs play with the lives of hundreds of thousands of people who just want to get where they want to go based on a timetable that they have published. They have both FAILED massively. To all but the most blinkered this is down to lack of political will, cost cutting, underinvestment (over decades) and an irrational dislike of workers, and those of us that use this alleged SERVICE every day (and occasional users too) are just bloody SICK of it all.

The hastily and spitefully organised privatisation by a dying Major adminstration has seen, certainly this part of the country, totally hamstrung by petty private interests (ironically at a greater cost to the tax payer than before). It is unacceptable for a supposedly top tier nation in the 21st century to not be able to run a f**king railway. It gets hot in other countries (trains still work), it gets cold in other countries (trains still work), nationalised rail services exist elsewhere and still work, yet we are left with pathetic bunch of can't do excuse merchants who will always be ready with explanation as to why they cannot do the job they are paid to do. Everyday I change at Gatwick Airport in the morning and evening rush hours, what a national disgrace we present visitors, both business and leisure, from all over the world with, what must they think. From the oppressive ticket barriers, chaotic queues for tickets and then finally the departure boards littered with delays and cancellations. An utter JOKE. it is unlike anything I have experienced in any major city in Europe. I'm off to Vienna on sunday and that will be a walk in the park compared to the experience we offer visitors to our country.

It's not the unions, it's the system and idealogy that lay behind it that is repsonsible for this mess and it is time for heads to roll.

Rant over.

Tony Meolas Loan Spell

Slut Faced Whores
Jul 15, 2004
Vamanos Pest
What is clear, is that this government in particular and certainly this company do not have the interests of the passengers at heart. It is an unacceptable shambles where ministers and company execs play with the lives of hundreds of thousands of people who just want to get where they want to go based on a timetable that they have published. They have both FAILED massively. To all but the most blinkered this is down to lack of political will, cost cutting, underinvestment (over decades) and an irrational dislike of workers, and those of us that use this alleged SERVICE every day (and occasional users too) are just bloody SICK of it all.

The hastily and spitefully organised privatisation by a dying Major adminstration has seen, certainly this part of the country, totally hamstrung by petty private interests (ironically at a greater cost to the tax payer than before). It is unacceptable for a supposedly top tier nation in the 21st century to not be able to run a f**king railway. It gets hot in other countries (trains still work), it gets cold in other countries (trains still work), nationalised rail services exist elsewhere and still work, yet we are left with pathetic bunch of can't do excuse merchants who will always be ready with explanation as to why they cannot do the job they are paid to do. Everyday I change at Gatwick Airport in the morning and evening rush hours, what a national disgrace we present visitors, both business and leisure, from all over the world with, what must they think. From the oppressive ticket barriers, chaotic queues for tickets and then finally the departure boards littered with delays and cancellations. An utter JOKE. it is unlike anything I have experienced in any major city in Europe. I'm off to Vienna on sunday and that will be a walk in the park compared to the experience we offer visitors to our country.

It's not the unions, it's the system and idealogy that lay behind it that is repsonsible for this mess and it is time for heads to roll.

Rant over.

Spot Sir! Next stop the Empire Party ;)

But in all seriousness I agree with you. It hasn't worked and it wont because unlike other services there isn't a natural competition. Don't like EE go to Vodafone, dont want Talk Talk go with Sky. Dont like the Albion, fine support someone else etc etc

But with the trains you cant so its fundamentally flawed. Whats worse is we cant even blame Thatcher because even she knew that it wouldnt work. It was, as you say, stuck in the Major administrations manifesto.

Ernest

Stupid IDIOT
Nov 8, 2003
LOONEY BIN
Spot Sir! Next stop the Empire Party ;)

But in all seriousness I agree with you. It hasn't worked and it wont because unlike other services there isn't a natural competition. Don't like EE go to Vodafone, dont want Talk Talk go with Sky. Dont like the Albion, fine support someone else etc etc

But with the trains you cant so its fundamentally flawed. Whats worse is we cant even blame Thatcher because even she knew that it wouldnt work. It was, as you say, stuck in the Major administrations manifesto.

Don't like Southern go on Thameslink, don't like Thameslink go on Southern, except they're all owned by the same company and say if a person said I want to run trains between Brighton and Victoria as a competition to Southern he wouldn't be allowed to so there never will be competition just a private monopoly

pasty

A different kind of pasty
Jul 5, 2003
West, West, West Sussex
It hasn't worked and it wont because unlike other services there isn't a natural competition. Don't like EE go to Vodafone, dont want Talk Talk go with Sky. Dont like the Albion, fine support someone else etc etc .

Just what you want to hear at the end of a long delayed journey over the train PA is "Thank you for travelling with Southern today"

I DIDN'T HAVE ANY ****ING CHOICE YOU CJTC! IF I DID I WOULDN'T BE ON YOUR BLOODY TRAIN :rant:

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
...it's the system and idealogy that lay behind it that is repsonsible for this mess and it is time for heads to roll.

thats right it is the system and every stakeholder group involved has played a part in getting us to this mess. end of the day there has been a cronic lack of investment in rail goin back decades, 40-50's? i'm not sure it was any better before the war either. no investment, entrenched practices, poor managment, lack of government interest are the problems, i dont know what the answers are.

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
Sincere apologies if this is old news - I can't go back through 180 pages - but a family member who works for a company that has dealings with Govia believes that they have tried to divest themselves of the Southern and Thameslink franchises on four separate occasions on the grounds that they are impossible to run at a profit.

But after the fiasco of the East Coast, (when the Tory government was appalled to find that it could do a better job than its beloved private companies, and run it at a profit, which goes against everything it holds dear - so sold it off ASAP) that was not going to be permitted.

So they're trying to run it as badly as possible until the government simply has no option but to take it away.

This may, of course, be nonsense, but it makes perfect sense, and the person who told me is not given to flights of fancy.

East Coast made a handsome profit as any company should due to zero investment when owned by the Government.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
This whole saga isn't looking good for those of us who use them to get to the Amex unless the club have an agreement in place

This is what worries me.

They've binned 350 trains a day. We rely on EXTRA trains to cope with the matchday service. Even a normal service would be wholly inadequate on a matchday, so the current SASTA omnishambles will render rail travel to and from the Amex pretty much impossible for thousands.

I hope the club are onto this, but I've heard absolutely nothing.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
This is what worries me.

They've binned 350 trains a day. We rely on EXTRA trains to cope with the matchday service. Even a normal service would be wholly inadequate on a matchday, so the current SASTA omnishambles will render rail travel to and from the Amex pretty much impossible for thousands.

I hope the club are onto this, but I've heard absolutely nothing.

Funnily enough, I chased up the club earlier today on the back of last night's chaos. I've had a response - talks with Southern are ongoing and the club hope to be able to make an announcement in the near future.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
Funnily enough, I chased up the club earlier today on the back of last night's chaos. I've had a response - talks with Southern are ongoing and the club hope to be able to make an announcement in the near future.

Hmmm...pretty much what they said a couple of weeks ago then.

Driver8

On the road...
NSC Patron
Jul 31, 2005
North Wales
It's no good SASTA promising something they can't deliver, managers won't work as guards at weekends or after 7pm, the shortage of actual trains is growing by the day due to shortages of engineering staff so it will be interesting to see if the club have an alternative plan

82c23a05f49ac0644c67fbf7858f35b7.png

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey

Yes, that was taken yesterday I think. From left to right:

1) Union official, refusing to let the train leave because there isn't a guard on board
2) Standard class passenger (actually a guard, on his way to the seaside because he's off sick with stress)
3) Driver. Here he has taken time off to go and speak to:
4) The chap in first class, about to be fined £400 by the driver because his first class ticket is with Thameslink rather than Southern.
5) Small boy on the line - photo-shopped in for propaganda purposes; "intruders on the line" is the reason (blatant lie) why this luxury train carriage is 45 minutes late, and is the 43rd excuse used this month.

The Antikythera Mechanism

The oldest known computer
NSC Patron
Aug 7, 2003
Listening to Sadiq Khan on LBC on the way home from work and he has asked the Government that he and a team from TFL take over the running of Southern Rail. He reckons it's the worst franchise ever and needs to be ended. I'm not a Labour voter but he actually sounded like someone who could sort this shit out.

Ernest

Stupid IDIOT
Nov 8, 2003
LOONEY BIN
Listening to Sadiq Khan on LBC on the way home from work and he has asked the Government that he and a team from TFL take over the running of Southern Rail. He reckons it's the worst franchise ever and needs to be ended. I'm not a Labour voter but he actually sounded like someone who could sort this shit out.

There is already a team set up by the DfT 'Directly Operated Railway' who would step in if they finally decided enough is enough. Sadiq Khan is just grandstanding and hasn't a clue what would be involved in taking over Southern plus why should the Mayor of London have any say on transport from Brighton where he isn't elected ?

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
There is already a team set up by the DfT 'Directly Operated Railway' who would step in if they finally decided enough is enough. Sadiq Khan is just grandstanding and hasn't a clue what would be involved in taking over Southern plus why should the Mayor of London have any say on transport from Brighton where he isn't elected ?

of course he's grandstanding, also a power grab to get more of the overland network under Mayor control. he's only interested in the metro portion, not the line south of M25.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here