Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Southern Rail STRIKE details

Gabbafella

Aug 22, 2012
I've just moved back to Brighton and now have to commute to work by train, so far it's been alright but with more imminent strikes, I have to say I'm not looking forward to it and neither is my boss.

GypsyKing

Feb 4, 2013
People keep going on about profit. Rail franchises are geared to show only 3% on turnover. Far less than almost every public company.

Does anyone really think that a rail journey will cost less after nationalisation when you take into the amount of the taxpayers contribution? With trains under total union control, which is what would happen, would be better?

Look at the history of British Rail.

Way too sensible observation for this thread!

Another observation of my part re the £20m injection, and please correct me if I'm wrong, but is this in effect not being used to support the nationalised Network Rail infrastructure as opposed to the Southern train service??

CHAPPERS

DISCO SPENG
Jul 5, 2003

Another observation of my part re the £20m injection, and please correct me if I'm wrong, but is this in effect not being used to support the nationalised Network Rail infrastructure as opposed to the Southern train service??

No.

The £20m fund is to help place more rapid-response teams on the franchise, accelerate the replacement of worn tracks and hire extra staff at key stations including East Croydon and Gatwick to ensure trains leave on time.

CherryInHove

Apr 16, 2015
I've just moved back to Brighton and now have to commute to work by train, so far it's been alright but with more imminent strikes, I have to say I'm not looking forward to it and neither is my boss.

If your work is slightly flexible with hours worked, I recommend getting a really early train and leaving slightly early. I get the 6:40 from Preston Park to get into Victoria for 7:50 and then get the 5:06 train home. These ones never seem to be affected by delays or strikes but the ones just half an hour later seem to always be affected.

Aug 11, 2003
The Open Market

It's not sensible at all; in fact it's total gibberish.

Using the phrase "With trains under total union control..." indicates no concept of what a de-privatised railways industry would look like. The railways aren't controlled by the trade unions, nor would they be after they're taken back into public ownership.

With careful planning (not a common concept in Whitehall), the railway industry could be owned by the public, but run by stakeholders whose prime interest is running a service for good of the customers; those stakeholders could include the government, local authorities, staff, trade unions, business (to a small extent), passenger groups and so on.

To have them in the hands of one company whose vested interests are not for the benefit of the railway nor its users is utter madness.

Aug 11, 2003
The Open Market
'Southern rail co-owner Go-Ahead has reported a profit of nearly £100m and apologised for major ongoing disruptions to its railway services.

Go-Ahead's yearly profits before tax rose 26.8% to £99.8m.'

Utterly disgraceful.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-37253789

I'd imagine - going on previous years - about £6m of Go-Ahead's profit comes from Brighton & Hove Buses, a company which is subsidised by Brighton & Hove City Council to the tune of over £1m each year.

bhanutz

Aug 23, 2005
I'd imagine - going on previous years - about £6m of Go-Ahead's profit comes from Brighton & Hove Buses, a company which is subsidised by Brighton & Hove City Council to the tune of over £1m each year.

Have you ever thought about being a politician?

Aug 11, 2003
The Open Market
Have you ever thought about being a politician?

You may have to explain that in a manner that has any meaning or makes any sense.

Aug 11, 2003
The Open Market
He/She , means do you have , or at any time owned a hovercraft full of eels .

Oh. Got you. Well, why didn't he say so?

pasty

A different kind of pasty
Jul 5, 2003
West, West, West Sussex
So what is the consensus of opinion among NSC commuters for tomorrow? Should I stay or should I go?

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
So what is the consensus of opinion among NSC commuters for tomorrow? Should I stay or should I go?

I think go for it and you'll be ok. Plenty of thameslink to run to? Or last strikes I drove to Dorking and full service of Southern and South West every 10mins

pasty

A different kind of pasty
Jul 5, 2003
West, West, West Sussex
I think go for it and you'll be ok. Plenty of thameslink to run to? Or last strikes I drove to Dorking and full service of Southern and South West every 10mins

Couldn't be bothered in the end and decided to WFH today. Hope it goes ok for anybody trying.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here