Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Southern Rail STRIKE details

Green Cross Code Man

Wunt be druv
Mar 30, 2006
Eastbourne
What is a "div" do i take its a childish word that means to be disrespectful?

Short for 'divvy'. When I lived in Liverpool, the scousers said it frequently. Not to me I hasten to add!

2009fa2966f4c0f07fccd1f77e109243.jpg

CP 0 3 BHA

Nov 28, 2003
Northants
The shutting of Falmer Station on Friday and next Tuesday at 5pm is farcical.

Surely Southern need to take some responsibility here and ensure that they hire a large fleet of coaches and buses to run from the front of Brighton Station to Falmer from 5pm and then back again from 9:30? Otherwise it could be carnage at Brighton - you can bet that thousands won't register the fact that there are no trains even though there's no strike.

Chicken Run

Member Since Jul 2003
NSC Patron
Jul 17, 2003
Valley of Hangleton
I traveled from Preston to Euston (11.58) on Monday this week and the wifi never worked the whole way down, was pretty pissed off about it to be honest and had to make do with my own 3G which cut out many times .
I claim my £1000 !

For being such a thicko my suggestion would be that you owe him £1000 PMSL

Seasider78

Nov 14, 2004
According to Radio Sussex emergency timetable will be lifted before Friday

Interesting will await further announcement today also got this email from southern last night

The train service will not return to the pre-strike timetable until the weekend
The strike action called by the RMT union has been suspended, as further talks are now taking place. See our press release. We truly hope these talks will be productive and bring this long running dispute to an end.
Here's what this means for your journeys over the following days:

Thursday 11 August
The strike timetable will remain in place. We are working with Network Rail to introduce trains on additional routes and operate extended hours where possible.

Friday 12 August
We are doing everything we can to operate a service as close as possible to the pre-strike timetable (the revised timetable in operation last week) however as we restore trains and train crew to their normal pattern of working, there may be short notice delays, cancellations and alterations.

All of the above information is subject to alteration and is not reflected in online journey planners, so you are urged to check here and our live information page for the latest information before travelling. Any alterations will be posted there first.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Interesting will await further announcement today also got this email from southern last night

The train service will not return to the pre-strike timetable until the weekend
The strike action called by the RMT union has been suspended, as further talks are now taking place. See our press release. We truly hope these talks will be productive and bring this long running dispute to an end.
Here's what this means for your journeys over the following days:

Thursday 11 August
The strike timetable will remain in place. We are working with Network Rail to introduce trains on additional routes and operate extended hours where possible.

Friday 12 August
We are doing everything we can to operate a service as close as possible to the pre-strike timetable (the revised timetable in operation last week) however as we restore trains and train crew to their normal pattern of working, there may be short notice delays, cancellations and alterations.

All of the above information is subject to alteration and is not reflected in online journey planners, so you are urged to check here and our live information page for the latest information before travelling. Any alterations will be posted there first.

Think Radio Sussex have got confused between strike timetable and emergency timetable.

Munchkin

Jul 12, 2005
Littlehampton
Apologies if this has been covered elsewhere..

But isn't a portion of the cost of our season ticket the free travel element (i.e the train travel)

Therefore are we eligible for some sort of refund if this service is withdrawn?

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
Had my best week commuting all year this week. Ok I've had to drive 40mins to Dorking, pay £6 a day to park but every train has been on time and it is only really in the evening it has taken me longer to get back - about 20mins. In fact I've been in the office 10-15mins earlier despite getting up and leaving my house at the same time.

atomised

Mar 21, 2013

But isn't a portion of the cost of our season ticket the free travel element (i.e the train travel)

I would hazard a guess that the answer would be no as there are still travel options available that are included within the travel supplement

Gazwag

5 millionth post poster
Mar 4, 2004
Bexhill-on-Sea

No because you can use the buses and the park and rides for free

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla

We are not because this covers buses, car park stewards, seagulls travel subsidy, park and rides.

The club should be if Falmer station is shut, but possibly only on the part of the travel zone between Brighton / Lewes and Falmer, as the rest of the rail network is 'running'.

Brovion

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
I sort of wonder what happens if everyone turns up at Brighton station and demands to go to Falmer? The club said it's something like 12,000 people coming via train I think. Of course some come from the East, but say 8,000 come from Brighton. It'd be lovely to see Southern's response, but I doubt they'd even give a shit.
I was thinking a similar thing. They say that trains won't stop at Falmer for 'safety reasons' (I'm really beginning to hate that word). Well how 'safe' will it be to have thousands of disgruntled football fans at Brighton station, a large percentage of whom will be understandably thinking that as the trains are running they'll be stopping at Falmer?

albionite

May 20, 2009
Saying they can't have a service untill Saturday because they won't have the stock in place is pure horsesh*t. The drivers are not on strike they can have the trains anywhere they want them to be.

twiggles

Feb 14, 2014
Finishing work at half 6 tomorrow night in East Worthing and I dont drive so have pretty much resigned myself to the fact I'm just going to watch it in the pub : (

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
I was thinking a similar thing. They say that trains won't stop at Falmer for 'safety reasons' (I'm really beginning to hate that word). Well how 'safe' will it be to have thousands of disgruntled football fans at Brighton station, a large percentage of whom will be understandably thinking that as the trains are running they'll be stopping at Falmer?

Nothing will happen. The same thing happened regularly end of last season when they were down to 2-3 trains per hour. Everyone just stood nicely in a queue and grumbled

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here