Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Southern Rail STRIKE details

albionite

May 20, 2009
good job no one is supporting reducing staff levels, there's none being proposed here.

So the government have promised gtr £7m bonus if they reduce the staff levels and make trains doo, but you don't think guards will lose their jobs. Same thing happened to thameslink they made their guards obs(on board supervisors) they were gone within 12months, much easier this way.

This is not really about guards losing their jobs the government have other agendas and wanted this to happen same as the doctors strike.

For example, plenty of other evidence out there they want to take on the unions and crush them.
http://www.thecanary.co/2016/04/26/jeremy-hunt-just-betrayed-real-reason-hes-going-junior-doctors/

Perfidious Albion

Oct 25, 2011
At the end of my tether
What a state we are in!
You can't get a train
The ****** doctors are on strike again
Senior Police Office Officers have been exposed as corrupt
The Government is split apart over Europe

This Country is broken...

yxee

Oct 24, 2011
Manchester
I think you need to look at the bigger picture.

There is no bigger picture. They are striking, it is annoying, full stop.

I do not have time for another left wing high horse moral lecture, I understand the reasons why people strike, your turn to try to understand why people get angry at them.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
So the government have promised gtr £7m bonus if they reduce the staff levels and make trains doo,

they did? not mentioned in the letter from the RMT. that makes it clear the issues is about reclasifying the job. i think the guard is a suitable role - GTR implicity do too as they see the need for a onboard supervisor - but theres too much hyperbole about the role, and the union is spoiling for a fight and dont really care for the traveling public. like our shop steward on here banging on about lossing cleaners (still cleaned somehow cleaned) and catering (who were bearly used). maybe a campaign to seek the public support and calls to retain the guard in the current role could be helpful, but no, the first we really hear about the matter is when they call out the members on strike.

Seasider78

Nov 14, 2004
they did? not mentioned in the letter from the RMT. that makes it clear the issues is about reclasifying the job. i think the guard is a suitable role - GTR implicity do too as they see the need for a onboard supervisor - but theres too much hyperbole about the role, and the union is spoiling for a fight and dont really care for the traveling public. like our shop steward on here banging on about lossing cleaners (still cleaned somehow cleaned) and catering (who were bearly used). maybe a campaign to seek the public support and calls to retain the guard in the current role could be helpful, but no, the first we really hear about the matter is when they call out the members on strike.

It would also be fantastic if the guards themselves can actively and visibly show their value to their customers so we are more supportive of any proposed changes to their duties. This is proving difficult like today (only a day after 48hours of disruption for the paying passengers) I witnessed a guard sitting in a seat reading a series of leftover papers he had collected for a whole 1 hour 45min journey pausing only to open the doors at each stop. Made me realise why the door issue is so contentious as without that this bloke would have just been another passenger.

Carrot Cruncher

NHS Slave
Helpful Moderator
Jul 30, 2003
Southampton, United Kingdom
Blimey, this just appeared on Twitter.

ChNoENYWwAAy8mv.jpg

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
It would also be fantastic if the guards themselves can actively and visibly show their value to their customers so we are more supportive of any proposed changes to their duties. This is proving difficult like today (only a day after 48hours of disruption for the paying passengers) I witnessed a guard sitting in a seat reading a series of leftover papers he had collected for a whole 1 hour 45min journey pausing only to open the doors at each stop. Made me realise why the door issue is so contentious as without that this bloke would have just been another passenger.

I'm sure they would perform better if they were not being treated with such contempt by thier employer. The rail companies treat their paying customers as an inconvenience, I dread to think what it's like to work for them.

Ernest

Stupid IDIOT
Nov 8, 2003
LOONEY BIN
Dear colleague

ROLE OF THE GUARD AND EXTENSION OF DOO – SOUTHERN (GTR)

You will by now have seen a form which management are asking you to sign to give an undertaking that you will not take part in any further industrial action during this dispute. You are under no obligation to sign this form and we would suggest you throw it in the bin where garbage such as that belongs.

This incredibly stupid form asks you to commit to working extra days, extra hours, working rest days and overtime on strike days. Then, bizarrely, it goes on to say that you won’t be guaranteed extra work. In effect, that means that they want you to put on record that you are willing to break the strike, but that you won’t be needed and you won’t be paid. Pathetic!

Southern/GTR management are now stooping so low during this dispute that their actions are not only contemptible but would also be laughable if this dispute was not so serious. Their actions are undermining any attempts to seek a negotiated solution to this dispute as they have put out this form on the very day that important talks are taking place. We can only assume that they do not want to find a settlement to this dispute as they are issuing intimidating threats, provoking you at every opportunity and acting like the worst kind of playground bullies.

Southern know that our members are determined to see justice is won in this dispute. Southern management also know that the public are on your side. So ignore the threats, ignore the bullying and ignore the intimidation. Stand firm together in the knowledge that not only are your colleagues in every other grade at GTR behind you but the entire RMT membership is in solidarity with you and your colleagues.

As I say above, put management’s worthless and inflammatory form in the bin and, together, we can make sure that is where their plans to undermine and threaten safety and jobs go also.

STAND TOGETHER! SUPPORT YOUR UNION!

Yours sincerely

Mick Cash

General Secretary

Ernest

Stupid IDIOT
Nov 8, 2003
LOONEY BIN
SOUTHERN MANAGEMENT WALK OUT OF TALKS AND ISSUE FURTHER THREATENING LETTER TO GUARDS
Southern Rail management have today walked out of talks around the guards safety-dispute across the franchise and have ratcheted up the temperature by issuing a threatening letter to staff asking them to sign an undertaking that they will take no further strike action and threatening sanctions if they refuse.
General Secretary Mick Cash said
“Not only have Southern management today collapsed the talks process but they have also dished out forms to sign to give an undertaking that our members will not take part in any further industrial action during this dispute. RMT has issued guidance to members that they are under no obligation to sign this form and recommending that they bin it. This is a deliberate attempt to pour fuel on the flames and deflect attention from the core safety issue at the heart of this dispute.
“The form asks members to commit to working extra days, extra hours, working rest days and overtime on strike days. It then goes on to say that members won't be guaranteed extra work. In effect, that means that they want staff to put on record that they are willing to break the strike, but that they won’t be needed and won't be paid.
“Southern/GTR management are now stooping so low during this dispute that their actions are not only contemptible but would also be laughable if this dispute was not so serious. Their actions are undermining any attempts to seek a negotiated solution to this dispute as they have put out this form on the very day that important talks are taking place. We can only assume that they do not want to find a settlement to this dispute as they are issuing intimidating threats, provoking members at every opportunity and acting like the worst kind of playground bullies.
“Southern know that our members are determined to see justice is won in this dispute. Southern management also know that the public are on our side on the fundamental issue at the heart of this dispute which is safe staffing of our railways. Our members have been advised to ignore the threats, ignore the bullying and ignore the intimidation.
“The union is united nationally behind our members on Southern and determined to win a victory that protects and enhances rail safety.”

Seasider78

Nov 14, 2004
I'm sure they would perform better if they were not being treated with such contempt by thier employer. The rail companies treat their paying customers as an inconvenience, I dread to think what it's like to work for them.

Do you commute on their services daily? If you did you would see contempt for customers is not just restricted to senior management.

Southern are shocking but from my experiences of guards on trains I do think there is room for reform and as that is the background behind this particular action I am struggling to support the strikes.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
There is no bigger picture. They are striking, it is annoying, full stop.

I do not have time for another left wing high horse moral lecture, I understand the reasons why people strike, your turn to try to understand why people get angry at them.

because you're selfish? Because you're smug and in a job which isn't under threat? You have your snout in the trough? Which is it?

Deadly Danson

Oct 22, 2003
Brighton
I simply do not have strong enough words any longer for this contemptible, vile, bullying company any more. There literally isn't anyone whether on the railway or customers they haven't pissed off.

albionite

May 20, 2009
Going to be a messy summer, 86 ticket office closures (they will be balloting for strike) drivers will also be balloting for strike soon.

The unions and gtr(these guys will get their bonus so don't care) will come across as the bad guys as the passengers suffer as normal.

Tax payers will be footing the bill as the government is paying the fines and lost revenue.

All so the government can sit in background, take on and break the unions.

Last edited:

Durlston

"Garlic bread!?"
NSC Patron
Jul 15, 2009
Haywards Heath
The obligatory five-minute delay on both my trains this morning showed that Southern are still fecking useless. Glad I'm using Thameslink only tomorrow for Barnet v Yeovil.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here