Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Next Saturday at the Valley

The Birdman

Nov 30, 2008
Haywards Heath
If you winning can you break the cross bar and let us have 20,000 tickets for the replay thank you,.
On a serious note I understand your frustration we even stormed the offices in Lancaster place protesting.
Have you tried the post Card asking all fans to download a card with a message of your choice and we will post thousands to the owners house.

Webbo

Apr 16, 2016
spongy.
Amongst Charlton fans there has been debate and concern about the impact anything we do will have on fans of other clubs. I don't know of the plans for Saturday, but it is very unlikely to be an organised pitch invasion which is probably the only reason the game wouldn't finish.
If the game is completed it is up to Brighton to win the football match (which I am sure you will do, any results we have got of late have been almost 'accidental' results from players playing on memory, we couldn't exactly be described as a team). Unless there is an abandoned game, then the result will be in your (very capable) hands.
The question is realistic regarding any other kind of disruption, but so far the in game disruption has been a lone pitch invader (not a success), blowing whistles (a partial impact) and delaying the start of the game against Boro with beachballs, and Birmingham with stess balls. On each occasion the delay was less than five minutes.
I understand how you are poised this season as it were, and if our situations were reversed I would want to get in, get out, and have the three points. You absolutely should not put our woes in front of your ambitions, absolutely not.
Protests are likely in some form or another, possibly with yet another gathering outside the main stand after the game a bit like this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dUn8M9ae8gM

....and possibly also of a theatrical kind like our funeral march, there are many videos of that stuff online as well as the beach and stress ball throwing.

I have no wish to damage Brighton's promotion push in the slightest because of our fan action.

bobbysmith01

Feb 6, 2015
Respect to Charlton and I am sure it will not affect our want in winning the game and you will have my support, bad ownership has no place in football, unless you are American owners and just brought a run down club near Croydon and masterminded a 3 month winless run, but actually thinking about I would support their fans as well, if it gets as bad as what you have had or us in the 90's

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mona

The Glory Game
Jul 9, 2003
High up on the South Downs.
Respect to Charlton who are a club we owe thanks for support in our dark days. What I don't understand is why fans think the board are so bad. The idea of multi club ownership is obviously wrong. But it has sent Watford up to the Premier League. As regards the team, it's not difficult to get relegated from the Championship. Brighton now are a well run club but came close to the drop last season. Watching Charlton on tv, they are one of a handful of clubs to beat Boro and they gave us a tough home game.

I'm totally against the distance between clubs and fans caused by foreign ownership. But are things as bad at Charlton as their supporters say? Or am I missing the point, ill informed or a bit of a dope?

Webbo

Apr 16, 2016
Interesting that they've just won Community Club of the Year at the FL awards!

This is indeed intriguing but not a suprise. Historically, and certainly due to the club we became out of our early struggles, we have established a Community Trust (not the same as our Supporters Trust). It is endorsed by the club in terms of the name, but not supported financially beyond having the use of premises.
It is irksome in the extreme that this current regime point to the success of our extensive community work as their achievement, which they do whenever they want to look good, but believe me the regime running Charlton at the moment are not responsible for the community work at all.
The London borough of Greenwich now uses the Charlton community trust to run all of their community work for all kinds of groups stretching from children with Downs syndrome (The Upbeats) through to encouraging the aged to participate in walking football. We have a presence in youth centres, holiday activities, with the disadvantaged, with offenders, and with the wider community in general.

One purpose of our protests is to protect this scheme, not exploit it as the regime does. The outreach work connects with some 6000 people here and indeed abroad, and is deservedly praised, but it stands united with the club within our community, but it is absolutely not down to the morons running our club.

Webbo

Apr 16, 2016
Respect to Charlton who are a club we owe thanks for support in our dark days. What I don't understand is why fans think the board are so bad. The idea of multi club ownership is obviously wrong. But it has sent Watford up to the Premier League. As regards the team, it's not difficult to get relegated from the Championship. Brighton now are a well run club but came close to the drop last season. Watching Charlton on tv, they are one of a handful of clubs to beat Boro and they gave us a tough home game.

I'm totally against the distance between clubs and fans caused by foreign ownership. But are things as bad at Charlton as their supporters say? Or am I missing the point, ill informed or a bit of a dope?

The new owner who last attended a match in 2014, one of two attended in total, thinks he can make money by creating a player farm and churning players. In that context results to him don't matter, it is player values and stats that he is chasing after. The owner sees himself as a 'visionary' (they're the worst kind, I would rather have a crook than one of those) who thinks that he has been telling the world how to sort out it's problems, but the world stupidly doesn't listen to him. At one time he tried to establish a political party.

He is losing money hand over fist but piling it on to the club as debt.

They are running the club incompetently in so many ways I can't list them, but a couple of recent examples are both the newly appointed Head of Communications, and also the Head of Commercial resigned, the communications lady after only 46 days. Whilst last week our Chief Executive took a holiday in Dubai...so if Brighton fans were lobbying Charlton for an extra ticket allocation, she wasn't there to respond to you anyway.

Would you accept watching a team that isn't bothered about trying to win a match? Would you accept your role as to grow young players like seedlings to then sell on? Would you accept all that whilst your CEO described you as 'weird' because you call Brighton 'your' club, or the owner accusing you of wanting the club to fail?

Would you accept 6 managers in two years that the CEO describes each of them as having been successful appointments?

There are people who want to buy the club but the owner has refused to enter talks.

The list goes on and on and on.

Sorry for the rant, but it might provide context for what I have written above.

I would also like to thank all the Brighton fans on here for their good wishes, but would rather be here talking football than all of this stuff.

Raleigh Chopper

Sep 1, 2011
Plymouth
Dismayed at some of the posts on this thread, sad end to quite a good but could have been better weekend.
No Brighton fan should object to the Charlton fans protest.
Granted the timing is awful and I hope Charlton fans understand how important this game is for us, but it is their club and their ground they can do what they like.
Just because of fans united I would not support every club in this situation in fact some I would like to see the back of but not Charlton,a thoroughly decent club and fans.
In an ideal world I wish they could find another way of protesting but not during the game.In any other situation we would probably help you all the way.
By the way Webbo, if we are losing and you want to invade the pitch and get the game abandoned don't let me stop you and fully expect a couple of thousand Brighton fans to join in.

mona

The Glory Game
Jul 9, 2003
High up on the South Downs.
The new owner who last attended a match in 2014, one of two attended in total, thinks he can make money by creating a player farm and churning players. In that context results to him don't matter, it is player values and stats that he is chasing after. The owner sees himself as a 'visionary' (they're the worst kind, I would rather have a crook than one of those) who thinks that he has been telling the world how to sort out it's problems, but the world stupidly doesn't listen to him. At one time he tried to establish a political party.

He is losing money hand over fist but piling it on to the club as debt.

They are running the club incompetently in so many ways I can't list them, but a couple of recent examples are both the newly appointed Head of Communications, and also the Head of Commercial resigned, the communications lady after only 46 days. Whilst last week our Chief Executive took a holiday in Dubai...so if Brighton fans were lobbying Charlton for an extra ticket allocation, she wasn't there to respond to you anyway.

Would you accept watching a team that isn't bothered about trying to win a match? Would you accept your role as to grow young players like seedlings to then sell on? Would you accept all that whilst your CEO described you as 'weird' because you call Brighton 'your' club, or the owner accusing you of wanting the club to fail?

Would you accept 6 managers in two years that the CEO describes each of them as having been successful appointments?

There are people who want to buy the club but the owner has refused to enter talks.

The list goes on and on and on.

Sorry for the rant, but it might provide context for what I have written above.

I would also like to thank all the Brighton fans on here for their good wishes, but would rather be here talking football than all of this stuff.

Thanks for that. I guess he chose you for this nonsense because of Charlton's good record of producing talented young players. Understand your anger better now. Good luck. You will win in the end.

Surf's Up

Jul 17, 2011
Here
I have an enormous amount of sympathy for the position that Charlton fans find themselves in. A word of caution about Saturday though. Please do not do anything that could result in the fixture either being abandoned or needing to be replayed. It will do lasting damage to the level of goodwill you currently have from the vast majority of Albion fans (which I'm sure will be amply demonstrated by them on Saturday) and could even lead to ugly scenes on the day between the two sets of supporters, something which I am sure you would agree with, will completely defeat the objectives you may have with your protests.

WhingForPresident

NSC Patron
Feb 23, 2009
Marlborough
Some of the comments I've seen from your CEO have been so unprofessional and incredibly ill-informed (putting it politely). She comes across as a complete moron with absolutely no grasp on how football works.

Wish you all the best. Hopefully we can take the three points and you can get your message across clearly.

Skaville

Jun 10, 2004
Queens Park
Hi Webbo.

I for one vividly remember the numbers Charlton brought to Fans United. You must have been the best represented club at the game so thanks so much for that.

a couple of questions. Is there a good link to read up further on the back story? Secondly, I'm bringing my eight year old to the game. I'd be up for showing support for charlton in whatever way possible and I think it would be a good 'education' for my boy. How peaceful are the protests usually?

Cheers and good luck

Webbo

Apr 16, 2016
Hi Webbo.

I for one vividly remember the numbers Charlton brought to Fans United. You must have been the best represented club at the game so thanks so much for that.

a couple of questions. Is there a good link to read up further on the back story? Secondly, I'm bringing my eight year old to the game. I'd be up for showing support for charlton in whatever way possible and I think it would be a good 'education' for my boy. How peaceful are the protests usually?

Cheers and good luck

If you visit the Charlton Life messageboard (which is remarkably similar to this one in many ways) and have a root around for ten minutes or so you will find out a lot of stuff, i cant provide a link to one single back story thread because there is so much.

http://forum.charltonlife.com/

The protests have been peaceful, but sometimes the language has been a bit ripe!

This might amuse you, and includes reference to our then manager Karel Fraeye (yes I know...who?) and our chief executive Katrien Meire escaping from Colchester after our cup defeat there hidden in a laundry basket in the kit minibus.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=89ITB5HKh9k

If you want to join in a chant, then the current favourite is the very complex 'We want Roland out' to the tune of 'Oops Upside Your Head.

this is usually accompanied by the swirling of Black and White scarves.

I imagine we will all sing 'We hate Palace more than you'.

BTW I despise racism and homophobia and the like and most Charlton fans are ashamed at any homophobic chanting towards Brighton fans

Webbo

Apr 16, 2016
I support your protest but if it costs us promotion, we'll never forget it...

I would hate that too. I expect you to win pretty easily, but then again I expected Boro to beat us too.
Perhaps you could balance the fact that we beat Boro, against any trouble we cause to Brighton.

KNC

Sep 3, 2003
Seven Dials
I for one will never forget your contribution at Fans Utd. Forget any pricks posting rubbish on here.
If they really knew Brightons history they would shut up
You have to do what you have to do. We had to sacrifice York City's promotion push, for the love of our club
Love going to the Valley, great day out.
Good luck in your fight against anti-football.

Dolph Ins

May 26, 2014
Mid Sussex
Seriously good luck to you but do we have to get down and row while we sing 'We want Roland out' to the oops outside your head tune?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here