Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Fresh Rail Strike ballot

Chicken Run

Member Since Jul 2003
NSC Patron
Jul 17, 2003
Valley of Hangleton
When there is an incident on your longer train and there is nobody to help you then you might understand why or maybe if you are old enough to work which I don't think you are and your boss came in and told you that you were SURPLUS to requirements then you may think that is a tad out of order.

Then again you are so stupid you probably wouldn't.
[emoji1]

Deadly Danson

Oct 22, 2003
Brighton
Jeremy wants to run the trains! How do you feel about that?

I have nothing personally against privatization in theory but when it's organised this badly, with profits taking precedence over safety and customer service (for which the Dft has to take a large chunk of the blame) then re-nationalisation may not be such a bad idea.

DataPoint

Mar 31, 2015
I personally would love the railways to be re nationalised

I think you would be disappointed because of the outcome. Railways are an enigma - the best and worst transport system ever invented. It's just not possible to manage them to any consistent level of satisfaction.

They're not run on rails - they're run on shoe strings! Managing the private road i.e. 'the permanent way' alone, is such a prohibitive cost that it completely destroys the opportunity and scope for successful economic models.

You'd be shocked to learn how low the revenue is - even though most people think fares are too high. More and more of us want to travel at exactly the same time and still be seated. To be honest, our expectations seem reasonable yet are naively unattainable.

We always blame the personnel! I've known the railways since the late forties - dozens of operators during that time have had ago including the notorious Dr. Beeching and other government appointees as well as privateers. Everyone fails!

The truth is that the railways are the most impossible, unrelenting 'real time' industrial undertaking there is. Anyone, either Government or private should be certified insane for volunteering the operation.

In the meantime it is and will surely always remain, misery for both the users and the providers.

Jul 7, 2003
You're all missing the dastardly masterplan here.
When, not if, the ticket machine is either out of order or just decides to void your order after taking the money (happened twice to me recently), you won't be able to go to the ticket office to get it resolved and you won't be able to buy a ticket from the guard as they won't exist. The trains will then be empty as nobody will have a valid ticket and therefore no need for guards to worry about passenger safety.

theboybilly

I've retired from driving trains now. I worked for Thameslink between 1997 and 2001 when GoVia had it but cannot believe that the GoVia of those days is the same company that has almost destroyed Gatwick Express. I have watched firstly the removal of on-board revenue collectors (who did vital work dealing with customers strange to the UK and with many problems to deal with) then the introduction of the unreliable Class 442 trains in place of purpose-built (and exceedingly reliable) Class 460 Rail/Air 8-car units. These decisions were total disasters and seemingly nobody had the courage to stand up and say No. Then we saw the removal of on-board catering across the network. Gatwick Express is no longer a Premium service but you still pay through the nose for using it - even to the point of some poor folk unwittingly being ushered to purchase GEX tickets when the Gatwick Express isn't even running! Everything about GTR is profit motivated - a truly horrible outfit

albionite

May 20, 2009
GTR plan on running a couple more 12 car trains tomorrow morning without guards on gatwick express trains.

A few nasty letters given out to drivers before hand threatening suspension and fines past on if they refuse to take.

Don't think it will effect commuters too much trying to get to London( gtr are not that stupid) but expect the press and managers to be out in force.

Will be interesting to see what happens workers rights over big business with the government supporting gtr as they are the ones pressing this.

Ernest

Stupid IDIOT
Nov 8, 2003
LOONEY BIN
GTR plan on running a couple more 12 car trains tomorrow morning without guards on gatwick express trains.

A few nasty letters given out to drivers before hand threatening suspension and fines past on if they refuse to take.

Don't think it will effect commuters too much trying to get to London( gtr are not that stupid) but expect the press and managers to be out in force.

Will be interesting to see what happens workers rights over big business with the government supporting gtr as they are the ones pressing this.

Interesting times and no doubt ASLEF officials out in force too

Weatherman

Jun 10, 2008
I personally would love the railways to be re nationalised

But in effect it is already nationalised. All revenue collected by Southern/ Gatwick Express and Thameslink goes straight to the treasury. Go Ahead/ Keolis are paid a negotiated amount to take all the flack for them. They know that the routes from Sussex and Kent , the Brighton mainline in particular, are at breaking point and will only get worse with the rapidly growing population. All they have to do is take the,money and stand back and distance themselves from it all. They also want costs to be cut hence the Mcnulty report so there will be more machines and less staff in the future.

8ace

Banned
Jul 21, 2003
Brighton

albionite

May 20, 2009
http://www.southernrailway.com/sout...tion-of-new-12-car-trains-on-gatwick-express/

Awful spin by gtr trying to make out they are doing this for passengers when it's all about profit. Expect most of the guards jobs to be gone by 2 years time. Same as they did to the thameslink guards.

Guards have voted 95% in favour of industrial action of the downgrading of their jobs as they know this is just the start.

As normal the passengers will suffer over the greed. Worst thing it's the taxpayers that will foot the bill as the government have said they will cover the costs.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here