Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

What Muslims believe CH4 last night

Hamilton

NSC Patreon
Jul 7, 2003
Brighton
A friend of mine works in a school in Essex with a very high proportion of Muslim students. She reports some concerning viewpoints from those students - attitudes towards women, homosexuality and the whole Jewish divide - all she can do is calmly question students as the issues arise. What she says is that for some reason a sort of siege mentality has developed which is fed by viewpoints handed down through parents and through the local mosques. She also says that it makes the government's policy of asking teachers to report potential extremism as laughable. She wouldn't know where to start.

I don't know what the solution is, but we need to address it. Addressing faith schools could be a start, but as Paris shows, it needs to go further than that and solutions have to come from the moderate communities themselves as well as from society as a whole.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
People ridiculing a sample size of 1000 clearly know nothing about the maths behind statistical probability. You only need a random sample of THIRTY to be 95% confident of results.

It is the questions themselves that we should be more careful with. I will look later before forming a view on this.

ThePompousPaladin

Apr 7, 2013
its astonishing our leaders cant realise faith schools are divisive

It would be astonishing if they didn't realise.
It makes me ponder what they gain by encouraging such things.
Scapegoats perhaps? It does seem to me that they have tended to alienate one sector of society at a time through the past couple of governments. However, this strays off the topic.

D

Deleted member 22389

A friend of mine works in a school in Essex with a very high proportion of Muslim students. She reports some concerning viewpoints from those students - attitudes towards women, homosexuality and the whole Jewish divide - all she can do is calmly question students as the issues arise. What she says is that for some reason a sort of siege mentality has developed which is fed by viewpoints handed down through parents and through the local mosques. She also says that it makes the government's policy of asking teachers to report potential extremism as laughable. She wouldn't know where to start.

I don't know what the solution is, but we need to address it. Addressing faith schools could be a start, but as Paris shows, it needs to go further than that and solutions have to come from the moderate communities themselves as well as from society as a whole.

I agree with your post, however people like Merkel and her crazy decision to open borders hasn't helped anybody, she has just accelerated all the views you pointed out in your post, in my opinion.

portlock seagull

Why? Why us?
Jul 28, 2003
"Dwindling community"? Anything but according to press over recent years?

portlock seagull

Why? Why us?
Jul 28, 2003

Civil war. That's how mankind has traditionally 'fixed' these matters. It will come, you could already argue its started just not on a massive scale, but it will come. Maybe not in other lifetimes because the balance hasn't neared equilibrium. But I'm sure they'll be a lot more bloodletting to come.

goldstone

Jul 5, 2003
You're living in Britain. You agree to abide by our laws, accept our customs, speak our language and do your best to integrate. Otherwise you can go right back to where you came from. No ifs, no buts.

portlock seagull

Why? Why us?
Jul 28, 2003
I agree with your post, however people like Merkel and her crazy decision to open borders hasn't helped anybody, she has just accelerated all the views you pointed out in your post, in my opinion.

Merkel was an idealist at that time and everyone knows it's a powder keg waiting to explode...I estimate sometime around, we, em, 2017 ;)

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
My wife works in a school and the most extremist views she hears on a regular basis are from jehova's witnesses. To be told that all the classmates are going to burn in hell at 4 years old is a bit much. This is actual examples of conversations she hears on a daily basis in school. And when the parents are challenged about their little darlings views and how they are upsetting the classmates, the parents think the child is doing the right thing.

portlock seagull

Why? Why us?
Jul 28, 2003
You're living in Britain. You agree to abide by our laws, accept our customs, speak our language and do your best to integrate. Otherwise you can go right back to where you came from. No ifs, no buts.

Laudable but somewhat unrealistic. Especially when the size of a community grows and then says we ought to change the law more akin to out point of view. No different perhaps to being part of trade union or other community?

KZNSeagull

Nov 26, 2007
Wolsingham, County Durham
Accentuate the positive from those polls:

77% do NOT believe that there should be areas of Sharia Law introduced.
61% of women do NOT believe that they should always obey their husband.
65% of 18 to 24 year olds do NOT think it is cool to have more than 1 wife
etc

Empower the majority to educate the minority.

hampshirebrightonboy

Sep 3, 2011
There certainly is. Kids should integrate, not be sent to schools full of kids from the same religious background. They should go to schools where religion is taught on the basis that all religions (and no religion) are equal.

Not Catholic myself but my kids go to a Catholic school. They do fully integrate and are taught on the basis that all religions (and no religion) are equal.

Mackenzie

Old Brightonian
Nov 7, 2003
East Wales
I agree with all of this, but what if they were born in Luton or Bradford? It's a tricky old business this deportation lark.

:)

Pinkie Brown

I'll look after the skirt
Sep 5, 2007
Neues Zeitalter DDR

Whilst that is fair logic, there's plenty of migrants living overseas who make no effort to speak the language, accept local customs, are a drain on local health services, make no effort whatsoever to integrate with the local community and live within their own (usually gated) communities - like many Brit ex pats on the Costa Del Sol for example?

Brightonfan1983

Tiny member
Jul 5, 2003
UK
A very dangerous title to base on 1000 people answering a survey. 10,000 or more would have been more credible.

I'm not saying the findings of the smaller sample size is insignificant. It's not. It's worrying. But if someone did a survey on 1000 football fans and made a TV show called "What football fans REALLY think" I don't think many would take their views too seriously.

I thumbsed-you-up; then read this: http://ukpollingreport.co.uk/faq-sampling - 1000 is the accepted standard. But the poll itself (surprise surprise) appears flawed from the outset, with ICM (the polling company) saying the people polled live in areas where >20% of the population are Muslim. Which, to go back to your analogy, if there are a 1000 Albion fans living in a close community with 4,000 other non-Albion fans... well, you can imagine.

What seems irresponsible is the 'clickbait/let's all have a knee-jerk reaction' nature of the programme. So whereas Donald Trump and the rest of the nutty mouthpieces who will no doubt shortly be spouting off to Fox News and I expect Victoria Bloody Derbyshire, using the programme to justify their arguments for knocking down mosques/building more churches, and when The S*n last month admitted its headline "1 in 5 Brit Muslims’ Sympathy For Jihadis" was 'significantly misleading', the rest of us can do a bit of reading/Googling. Right?

Hastings gull

Nov 23, 2013
It would be astonishing if they didn't realise.
It makes me ponder what they gain by encouraging such things.
Scapegoats perhaps? It does seem to me that they have tended to alienate one sector of society at a time through the past couple of governments. However, this strays off the topic.

I assume you mean the majority of the population who regularly cite immigration as their main concern regarding the future of Britain.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here