Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Politics] Brexit

If there was a second Brexit referendum how would you vote?

• Total voters

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patreon
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Have to say the Remainers are putting in one hell of a performance today. Good work. It reminds me of when Gordon Brown stepped in at the last minute and saved the UK.

pastafarian

Sep 4, 2011
Sussex
my main concern the horrible scenes we see on the north coast of France if we are out will cause the French people will say please go to England so be carful what you wish for. At the moment our boarder is in France but this will change if we come out.

Our border in France has nothing to do with The EU,France has no stomach for deliberately creating a humanitarian crisis on its northern coast by ripping up treaties.
this topic was put to bed very early on in the debate.

2. Immigration is just going to happen.
In or out of the EU, there will be lots, and lots of immigration: bad luck if you don’t like that. We’re perfectly able to control non-EU immigration, right now, and yet no government ever does. They never will. This is not the fault of the EU, it’s more complicated than that. Deal with it. Immigration will never stop.

what an absolute potty thing to say.
of course immigration is going to happen,of course it will never stop.
Thats why people are talking about managing the numbers........has this bloke just got out of bed?

No one has ever said stop immigration completely.

Fortunately the brexit side have not simply thrown in the towel and admitted defeat on mass immigration like many have.
Its good to see though a growing number of remainers now talking about controlling immigration in the last few days as they finally admit defeat and realise they are out of touch with the public mood.
They just dont have a clue how to go about it.

pastafarian

Sep 4, 2011
Sussex
Have to say the Remainers are putting in one hell of a performance today. Good work. It reminds me of when Gordon Brown stepped in at the last minute and saved the UK.

ill always remember him for sneering at that woman and calling her a bigot because she had the nerve to air her concerns

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
Our border in France has nothing to do with The EU,France has no stomach for deliberately creating a humanitarian crisis on its northern coast by ripping up treaties.

I don't understand your point?

France is ALREADY dealing with a humanitarian crisis on its Northern coast. There are thousands of migrants living in makeshift camps, where violence and sexual assault is rife, and food is short. Where children have been forced into prostitution to pay for a place. That's already enough of a crisis to offend my personal humanitarian sensibilities.

Opening the border and piling these migrants onto a ferry isn't going CAUSE a crisis, is it? Its just going to rid the French of dealing with it, and pass it on to us.

Albumen

Don't wait for me!
Jan 19, 2010
Brighton - In your face

Thats why people are talking about managing the numbers........has this bloke just got out of bed?

Fortunately the brexit side have not simply thrown in the towel and admitted defeat on mass immigration like many have.
Its good to see though a growing number of remainers now talking about controlling immigration in the last few days as they finally admit defeat and realise they are out of touch with the public mood.

He's on Twitter with it. Feel free to argue with him. Id like to see it.

Lincoln Imp

Feb 2, 2009
We haven't been called GREAT Britain for so long for no reason.The germans tried greater germany but it was an epic fail,mainly due to their choice in helpers-dodgy east europeans,and italians(with apologies to the late Maldini).:D

You probably know this anyway but the 'Great' in 'Great Britain' does not have a political origin - it is simply a reference to the largest (or 'greatest') of the British Isles.

(And before you go off on another of your 'You're a Remainer so you must be unpatriotic' rumbles can I just add that I do think Britain is pretty great. But that's not why it's called Great Britain.)

nicko31

Jan 7, 2010
Gods country fortnightly

Brown saved the Union, the Remainers will save it again.

Never again should one political party be allowed to gamble with the countries future for their own internal bickering

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patreon
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
ill always remember him for sneering at that woman and calling her a bigot because she had the nerve to air her concerns

That's okay. I'll remember him as the man who saved the union.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patreon
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland

Never again should one political party be allowed to gamble with the countries future for their own internal bickering

This.

daveinprague

Oct 1, 2009
Prague, Czech Republic

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/u...-channel-if-uk-votes-for-brexit-a6908891.html

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patreon
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland

I will be away from tomorrow in Brussels. But, I shall be in here on Friday http://www.churchills.be/menu/ toasting the bright and beautiful future of our outwardly looking, tolerant and cooperative nation. If any fellow patriots are in town swing buy and I'll buy you an ale.

heathgate

NSC Patreon
Apr 13, 2015
You cannot vote for them. You cannot remove them. And yet only they can initiate laws in the EU. Worse still, if our Westminster government passes a law they don't like, these unelected bureaucrats can have that law struck out in the ECJ.

This is democracy EU style! Save real democracy in the UK and the whole of Europe - vote Leave.

be348781cfed3035a759ac0d53996120.jpg

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

JCL666

absurdism
Sep 23, 2011
But what about their trade deals to the rest of the world? They will be negotiated and tailored to their own economic circumstances in mind.

I'm in favour of free movement so no problem there.

There's a few things to note here.

When trade deals are negotiated, the "bigger" partner gets the bias. So in the case of China and Switzerland, China has determined the terms of trade. In effect this means that the Swiss have to pretty much immediately allow Chinese imports almost tariff free, whereas China has up to 15 years to get to the same tariff level on Swiss imports.

So these deals take a long time and generally suck for the minor partner.

Plus more people at the table negotiating can hinder things http://faculty.haas.berkeley.edu/arose/MR2Vox.pdf

Therefore a "trading bloc" has more chance of getting a favourable deal in a shorter time.

You probably know this stuff anyway.

I really would recommend the 20 minute video of the EU Law Prof from Liverpool Uni too.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patreon
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
You cannot vote for them. You cannot remove them. And yet only they can initiate laws in the EU. Worse still, if our Westminster government passes a law they don't like, these unelected bureaucrats can have that law struck out in the ECJ.

This is democracy EU style! Save real democracy in the UK and the whole of Europe - vote Leave.

Please. This is simply not the truth. The commission has NO, repeat NO, got that, NO, power to act unilaterally. Why do you pedal such lies?

JCL666

absurdism
Sep 23, 2011

Totally misleading.

They are voted in/approved by the European Parliament. Which is actually more democratic than our own PM appointing non parliamentary members of the cabinet (which is effectively what the European Commission is).

Hamilton

NSC Patreon
Jul 7, 2003
Brighton

You have voted for your representative. You do so in the UK General Election every circa 4 years. The elected government then appoints their Commissioner.

Here is another important person whom we don't elect and yet who has the power to set interest rates that can have a dramatic impact on our finances.

iu

Just because we don't like the way a democratic process works, it doesn't mean it is unfair.

heathgate

NSC Patreon
Apr 13, 2015
Please. This is simply not the truth. The commission has NO, repeat NO, got that, NO, power to act unilaterally. Why do you pedal such lies?
Of course they initiate all new EU laws and compulsory legislation.... that's a fact... that's not a lie... get your head out of the EU quicksand HT.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here